Moderators, New/Old Etc. Going forward. - Opinions...

As much as I love my Bengals, I cannot envision an elimination of freely held discussions of world events on here. I vote no on closing J&D. Call it something else, moderate it if you must...but the very nature of the types of discussion there BEGS for a forum like a BBQ Pit that I have been advocating for. Moderation still exists, and the mods/posters that are concerned about "bad blood" carrying over into other forums...well, we won't let it. You want to bag on someone as a poster, go there. You don't agree with there opinion on Iraq, go there. We would easily funnel every topic like this into that forum. It literally wouldn't be hard.

And if people want to bear grudges over it? Fuck 'em. They won't be allowed to express them outside of the very forum that they are angry about.

It will keep ALL the other forums clean because we will make it so.

I think we need to get back to that attitude of "leave it the J&D forum" when it comes to talking about the Religion and Politics. We also need to stop taking things so personal and attacking back.... This attitude of "you disagree with me so you must be an idiot" has got to go.

Some of my views have changed and some of my views have been reinforced because of that forum. I vote no to closing it... I value the opposing viewpoints too much.

at least bring back the pluses, even if the minuses remain gone.

Personally I like this idea as well. It allows people to agree without having to post.

The Coasties rock... worked with them quite extensively, especially over in the Persian Gulf (boarding ships) and the Caribbean(busting drug runners). Hardest working ones out of every service actually.

EP-312159894.jpg

Note the marijuana leaves and also snowflakes (cocaine busts).  They used to put them on the stack now it looks like they are putting them on the bridge area.

I have been a member of this board for a very long time, and do not post a lot.  I do, however, visit this site and read other posts almost daily.  I feel like I should make a suggestion that may solve many the issues that are being discussed.  

I believe someone needs to establish a written policy for all of the Moderators to follow on how they filter posts and/or ban posters. An example would be that if someone posts something that a Moderator disagrees with, filter out the post and give the poster one chance to edit the post to be more appropriate.  If they modify it appropriately, then the moderator will allow the post and it will be re-displayed to all.  If they fail to modify it to the Moderator's satisfaction, then the post remains filtered out, permanently, end of discussion.  I would think that the majority of posters on this site would understand and even agree to this type of policy, if known ahead of time.  After so many posts being filtered out, then the poster is at risk of being banned.  To make it even more fair, I would suggest that banning a poster would require more than 1 Moderator to accomplish.  This policy is something that new (and even existing) members should have to agree to this before posting any new messages.

I may be over-simplifying this, but if there was a policy written and posted in an obvious way that was clear and concise, that much of this should go away.  I apologize if this type of policy already exists.

Feel free to offer any other suggestions, or tell me I'm totally clueless.

I have been a member of this board for a very long time, and do not post a lot.  I do, however, visit this site and read other posts almost daily.  I feel like I should make a suggestion that may solve many the issues that are being discussed.  

I believe someone needs to establish a written policy for all of the Moderators to follow on how they filter posts and/or ban posters. An example would be that if someone posts something that a Moderator disagrees with, filter out the post and give the poster one chance to edit the post to be more appropriate.  If they modify it appropriately, then the moderator will allow the post and it will be re-displayed to all.  If they fail to modify it to the Moderator's satisfaction, then the post remains filtered out, permanently, end of discussion.  I would think that the majority of posters on this site would understand and even agree to this type of policy, if known ahead of time.  After so many posts being filtered out, then the poster is at risk of being banned.  To make it even more fair, I would suggest that banning a poster would require more than 1 Moderator to accomplish.  This policy is something that new (and even existing) members should have to agree to this before posting any new messages.

I may be over-simplifying this, but if there was a policy written and posted in an obvious way that was clear and concise, that much of this should go away.  I apologize if this type of policy already exists.

Thank you. You must have a form of ESP. You are by no means clueless.

Thanks for the suggestion, you have some good ideas there.. We are currently working on just this kind of thing.  And just so everyone knows, we have no intention of going gestapo on your asses.  The goal is to nudge things back on track as quietly and easily as possible.  IMO we are most successful when no one notices that they are being moderated yet things stay within the acceptable boundaries for participation.  I am expecting this to go easy for us because I think most people here realize something needs to be done and want this place to be the best experience it can be.

Archived