Bengals want to pay Dalton like Kaepernick

Bengals want to pay Dalton like Kaepernick

Posted by Mike Florio on July 22, 2014, 12:34 PM EDT
dalton2.jpg?w=294 

When the real numbers of the long-term contract signed by 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick became available, it became apparent that any team with a potential franchise quarterback should offer the same deal.  Now.

Not surprisingly, a team widely regarded as being extremely careful with money wants to pay its potential franchise quarterback like Kaepernick.

Via Geoff Hobson of the Bengals’ official website, owner Mike Brown believes Dalton’s deal should be in the Kaepernick range.  Presumably, a deal already would be done if Dalton’s camp agreed with that sentiment.

And if there was/were/whatever any doubt that the Kaepernick deal is incredibly team friendly, the Bengals’ willingness to give the same contract to a guy who hasn’t won a playoff game proves it.  A mere $13 million fully guaranteed at signing on a seven-year commitment from the player.  A very late (relatively speaking) April 1 deadline each year for dumping the player before injury-only guarantees become full guarantees.  An annual average that pays the quarterback mid-level money now and, given spikes in the salary cap, mid-level money (or worse) in the out years.  And an obligation for the player to plunk down a ton of cash for a $20 million disability policy payable to the team in the event that he suffers a career-ending injury.

So, yes, the Bengals should try to give Dalton that same contract.  And the Panthers should try to give it to Cam Newton.

And the Colts should try to give it to Andrew Luck.  And so on throughout the league as each young quarterback with franchise potential becomes eligible for a new deal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/22/bengals-want-to-pay-dalton-like-kaepernick/

Kap contract structure is middle ground.     His cap hit would float in terms of 2nd tier to 1st tier QB pending on him locking in incentives based on All-Pro or Superbowl appearances.     The most important aspect is the team gets a series of outs on an annual basis so it acts as a year to year contract and would reduce potential cap dead money.  

This is a QB that's been in a Superbowl and Conference championship in back to back years. 

I'd be okay with that AFTER the season IF he wins a playoff game or two.

Not to argue with you but aren't you the same guy who in another thread just said
"I can't take anyone seriously who points to Dalton's W-L record and states that as the main reason he deserves a big pay day. You seriously have no fucking idea what you're talking about and the vast majority of people discussing football know you're out if your goddamn mind" ???
What if he plays well in the playoff game but they lose the game? Then by what you said he still doesn't deserve the pay day? If so it seems to me you're only tying in W-L records of Dalton where they suit your argument....just sayin.

Not to argue with you but aren't you the same guy who in another thread just said
"I can't take anyone seriously who points to Dalton's W-L record and states that as the main reason he deserves a big pay day. You seriously have no fucking idea what you're talking about and the vast majority of people discussing football know you're out if your goddamn mind" ???
What if he plays well in the playoff game but they lose the game? Then by what you said he still doesn't deserve the pay day? If so it seems to me you're only tying in W-L records of Dalton where they suit your argument....just sayin.

Lolwut. Obviously I don't mean just win the game, but play well. You can turn this into a stupid ass semantics argument if you want, but I won't be participating.

Lolwut. Obviously I don't mean just win the game, but play well. You can turn this into a stupid ass semantics argument if you want, but I won't be participating.

Like i said, i didn't bring it up to argue. But you did say what you said and there is a difference between wins & losses and playing well or playing badly in them. They don't necessarily match up (ex: win/play well or lose/play bad) Just seemed a lil unfair to me that you bash on other posters for using a statistic (W-L) in their opinions that you yourself use in yours is all.

Like i said, i didn't bring it up to argue. But you did say what you said and there is a difference between wins & losses and playing well or playing badly in them. They don't necessarily match up (ex: win/play well or lose/play bad) Just seemed a lil unfair to me that you bash on other posters for using a statistic (W-L) in their opinions that you yourself use in yours is all.

So you understand that my point was that he needs to perform better in those playoff games and not just be on the winning side.....so....? Do you want me to go back and edit it to exactly that, or are we okay here, friend?

So you understand that my point was that he needs to perform better in those playoff games and not just be on the winning side.....so....? Do you want me to go back and edit it to exactly that, or are we okay here, friend?

Yea we are fine bub, no need to edit anything. Just was pointing out the inconsistency based on what your posts actually said. But you have cleared up what you meant. And I totally agree, he needs to play better in the playoffs.

Kap contract structure is middle ground.     His cap hit would float in terms of 2nd tier to 1st tier QB pending on him locking in incentives based on All-Pro or Superbowl appearances.     The most important aspect is the team gets a series of outs on an annual basis so it acts as a year to year contract and would reduce potential cap dead money.  

This is a QB that's been in a Superbowl and Conference championship in back to back years. 

This is what I gathered from it as well.  If he poops his pants, we can draft a guy and move on.  If he plays well, he gets paid well.  Thats what I am hoping happens.  Think the guarantees kick in after the draft as well?  Which would also be more good news.

I also think that there's no way in hell him and his agent agree to this deal.

We need to get Taze and AJ locked up long term and potentially resign Andy next offseason. Why would you not get the 2 sure things sooner than later? This is ass backwards

I also think that there's no way in hell him and his agent agree to this deal.

We need to get Taze and AJ locked up long term and potentially resign Andy next offseason. Why would you not get the 2 sure things sooner than later? This is ass backwards

While I agree that we need to lock up Taze and AJ long term... did you see AJs comments saying that he doesn't want anyone but Andy throwing the ball to him? Hopefully he's just throwing Andy some love and it doesn't affect him signing.

While I agree that we need to lock up Taze and AJ long term... did you see AJs comments saying that he doesn't want anyone but Andy throwing the ball to him? Hopefully he's just throwing Andy some love and it doesn't affect him signing.

Meh. I wouldn't care honestly if I'm the FO. If anything, I'd hope that all parties involved could shut up, let their agents take care if that stuff, and get ready for the season. Coaches included.

Lock AJ up first then do what you have to do to benefit the team in the long run. That way it really doesn't matter, and if he has a problem with it he can go cry in his money room.. He may just be fluffing it up for the sake of team chemistry but I wouldbf be surprised if he's being honest. I know jack shit about their personal relationship but if I had to assume is guess they're friends. Andy seems likable if you ask me, and wouldn't you be hard pressed not to step up to bat for him if that's the situation your boy is going through?

Though id wait until my deal is done at least. At the end of the day everyone knows it's a business. Those two and the others work hard enough together and improve and we don't have to worry about dummies like me expressing their concern.

Fuck the Kaep deal is good enough I really....wouldn't be opposed to just getting that shit done now. Fuck it. If shit doesn't work out 2 yrs later he can be dealt and not risk much, right? The fact that they're talking about this to the media makes me think Andy's camp may have already declined the offer or one similar to it.

Who knows. I'm so tired of only having this type of crap to speculate. I need training camp right meow

Lock AJ up first then do what you have to do to benefit the team in the long run.

AJ is the one we have the most flexibility with, and he's going to get paid like a top 5 or top 3 WR regardless of when we do the deal....so why push to do his first? We have AJ for at least 2 more years, worry about his extension later. 

Sounds like everything is hinging on Dalton's contract, but I'd have prefered they lock up Burfict first. I think we're lucky there's no talk of a hold out on his side. He's one of the best LBs in the league, and arguably the most important player on our defense, yet he's set to make a hair over 500K next season. 

Archived