Bengals to 'expand portfolio' of Giovani Bernard

Bengals to 'expand portfolio' of Giovani Bernard
by Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com

The Bengals want to find different ways to get the ball to running back Giovani Bernard, reports ESPN.com.

"I don't know if it's the workload that's going to get more, it's more the type of plays that we're going to run with him in the game," running backs coach Kyle Caskey told the website. "We're going to expand his portfolio of plays and find different ways to get the ball in his hands in space. You get the ball in Gio's hands in space, he's dangerous."

Cincy could line up Bernard as an outside or slot receiver -- anything to get him in space.

"You don't necessarily have to hand it off and say, 'Hey, Gio got 260 touches last year out of the backfield.' Maybe he gets 260 to 300 touches but he gets them some other way," Caskey said. "Maybe he gets 200 out of the backfield but he catches 100 passes or however it is. We'll find a way to get the ball to him."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/CIN/cincinnati-bengals

My friends laughed when i made a bet with them that Gio finishes the year as a top 5 fantasy RB in our league (yahoo w/.5ppr)

I have high hopes for Hill, but i just think that at the end of the day Gio is so dynamic that we will have no choice other than to put the ball in his hands as much as possible.

Ray Rice has been a 60/70 catch back and I'm guessing alot of those just come delayed releases through the middle of the line and setting up in space in front of the LBs.

They have killed teams with that over the years.    

Ray Rice has been a 60/70 catch back and I'm guessing alot of those just come delayed releases through the middle of the line and setting up in space in front of the LBs.

This.  Even if it's a 4 yard gain, it's better than an incompletion.  Take the check down, get 4 yards with the potential for more.

This.  Even if it's a 4 yard gain, it's better than an incompletion.  Take the check down, get 4 yards with the potential for more.

I think they beat SD on a 4th and 22 with a similar pattern a couple years ago.        It's a pain in the ass to defend when you got an athletic back that can catch and turn quickly.

Factor that in with simple patterns with Gresh being able to turn up quickly and these are easy staples to get decent gains. 

SF won 2 Superbowls with this formula using Roger Craig.  Fuckers.

I think they beat SD on a 4th and 22 with a similar pattern a couple years ago.        It's a pain in the ass to defend when you got an athletic back that can catch and turn quickly.

Factor that in with simple patterns with Gresh being able to turn up quickly and these are easy staples to get decent gains. 

True.  It also makes it tough for a D coordinator.  If the RB has a late release the D doesn't know if he's blocking or going out.  Do you dedicate a LB to him or take a chance and have that LB in some other coverage?  It's a matchup nightmare with a back like Gio. If I didn't have a personal "no drafting Bengals" rule for myself in fantasy football, I'd draft Gio really high this year.

And now pittsburgh has one too.  I do not like Dri Archer in the backfield for the stoolers.  I do like the thought of Taze crushing him in the backfield though like a soda can.  

Yeah if that guy pans out,  it's going to be a bitch because it's already so much focus keeping Ben in the pocket. 

Yeah if that guy pans out,  it's going to be a bitch because it's already so much focus keeping Ben in the pocket. 

Him and Martavis Bryants were my favorite prospects in the draft. I cant believe they BOTH went to the fucking steelers. I was devastated. If those 2 pan out the steelers offense will be really good.

Archived