Sanu and the Slot

Bengals' Sanu making plays all over training field

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2014/07/28/bengals-mohamed-sanu-shows-rookie-potential/13299893/

1399644758000-pdehner.jpg Paul Dehner Jr., pdehnerjr@enquirer.com 8:21 p.m. EDT July 28, 2014
bengalscamp4.jpg

(Photo: The Enquirer/Leigh Taylor)

Mohamed Sanu did a bit of everything at Monday's final practice of the first week of training camp. He ran the ball out of the backfield, snagged one-handed catches in the red zone and even dusted off the old deep ball with a pinpoint pass on the run to A.J. Green.

For good measure, he even cleaned up the field, picking up seven discarded water bottles on his way off. This was the exclamation point day to conclude an impressive first week for the third-year receiver.

All part of the plan coming off a disappointing 2013 season.

"I wasn't really satisfied," said Sanu, who caught 47 passes for 455 yards and two touchdowns, but battled against key drops and fumbles in critical situations. "I didn't feel like I played like I really could have. I wasn't really myself. I had to spend a little time finding out how to get better. I talked to myself a little bit and talked to other players, coaches just to see what was up. Now I'm back focused and ready to go."

Sanu looked like his old, versatile self Monday. The development is ironic, actually. Part of the plan to bring back the Sanu who flashed superstar potential during a four-week period his rookie season was to hone the focus of what he does and trim the fat of responsibilities.

"Mo loves doing what the coaches teach," wide receivers coach James Urban said. "Mo loves knowing what his role is. He wants to know how we are going to use him and knows what our thoughts are. I think we have a very clear direction with Mo. (Offensive coordinator) Hue (Jackson) and I have talked about that and developed our plan with it."

Sanu's role becomes regaining his loose, confident demeanor that carried him in college and during that rookie season. He's made multiple difficult catches in traffic and made a fabulous play beating Darqueze Dennard on a route to the pylon in an 11-on-11 red zone drill Monday.

Hopping into the backfield for a snap and throwing a bomb to Green are just part of what makes Sanu's role fun to imagine. It's been magnified during the first week of practice with Marvin Jones sidelined by an ankle injury.

"I'll take the blame. We put on lot on his plate last year and maybe asked him to do some things that aren't in his wheelhouse," Urban said. "That's my fault. We are going to get him doing the things he's really good at. He's showing you the player now I knew we drafted."

No problem with Sanu since we drafted him.  Very good value player who catches the leap ball in traffic like A.Bolden.  And the bonus of having him throw and be RB is just freaking redonk.  I have no problems with him being on the field at any time on offense.

No problem with Sanu since we drafted him.  Very good value player who catches the leap ball in traffic like A.Bolden.  And the bonus of having him throw and be RB is just freaking redonk.  I have no problems with him being on the field at any time on offense.

Agreed.  When I was down for the first practice, they kept running a play that had him start on the line of scrimmage in the slot, and then come back in to a RB position beside Dalton with Gio behind them, and run a modified Read option play.  His ability to run and pass the ball, will make that wrinkle a bitch to defense.

"Mo loves doing what the coaches teach," wide receivers coach James Urban said. "Mo loves knowing what his role is. He wants to know how we are going to use him and knows what our thoughts are. I think we have a very clear direction with Mo. (Offensive coordinator) Hue (Jackson) and I have talked about that and developed our plan with it."

"I'll take the blame. We put on lot on his plate last year and maybe asked him to do some things that aren't in his wheelhouse," Urban said. "That's my fault. We are going to get him doing the things he's really good at. He's showing you the player now I knew we drafted."

I'm looking at you, Jay Gruden.

Archived