Pace hasn't quickened, but Bengals offense shaping up

Pace hasn't quickened, but Bengals offense shaping up

1398198815000-rskinner.jpg Richard Skinner, rskinner@nky.com 6:55 p.m. EDT July 29, 2014
1406674502000-bengals-27-20140727.jpg

A week into training camp the Bengals offense hasn't gone at a noticeably more up-tempo pace than offensive coordinator Hue Jackson has promised it will this season, but the one thing that is noticeable is how well that offense has executed.

Especially quarterback Andy Dalton.

Jackson has been coy about answering questions about the ways his offense is operating at a quicker pace, but he was definitive in answering questions after Monday's practice about how much he likes the way it has played so far.

"We have quite a bit (of the offense) in and the guys have done a good job," said Jackson. "We have some hiccups now and then, but that's to be expected. They've done a good job of handling the volume and handling the different tempos and we're playing against a good defense every day. I'm excited about our potential."

Much of the offensive success when the regular-season begins will be determined by how much better the Bengals run the ball and how much better and more mistake-free quarterback Andy Dalton plays.

They tied for 27th in the NFL in yards per rush last season (3.6 per carry), which is why they drafted physical running back Jeremy Hill in the second round and rugged center Russell Bodine in the fourth round, and both have played well. Hill has looked extremely powerful and fluid running between the tackles, while Bodine has worked with the first unit.

"The most important thing is the identity of our football team," said Jackson. "We need to still be a physical, get-after-you, mentally tough football team and that's what we're trying build."

Dalton is coming off a season in which he threw 33 touchdown passes, which ranked third in the NFL, but also threw 20 interceptions, which ranked fifth. He also threw two interceptions and lost a fumble in the 27-10 playoff loss to the San Diego Chargers.

35546123001_3692484562001_Hot-Seat-Hue-v

Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson answers a series of questions from Enquirer Sports' Paul Daugherty on Beyond the Stripes presented by Josephauto.com

He has been extremely efficient in camp and had three especially good plays on Monday: a 50-yard touchdown pass to A.J. Green off a 3rd-and-1 play-fake; a perfectly thrown touchdown pass to Mohamed Sanu against an all-out blitz in a 3rd-and-goal play from the defense's 6-yard line and an intentional throw away on a 3rd-and-goal play after he extended the play as long as he could.

"That was outstanding; that's what I'm looking for," said Jackson. "My thing with him is get to the next down with the ball. It's not always about throwing a touchdown pass. Sometimes we're going to play good defenses and they're going to do things that stop us. Sometimes you just have to say, 'Uncle,' throw it away, and it might mean taking a sack.

"If we can get him to where when those opportunities come that it's not there to be good with the ball then great things can happen for our offensive football team. My thing to the offensive football team is if we don't turn it over we're going to be hard to beat."

There is no question Dalton has numerous weapons at his disposal led by Pro Bowl receiver Green and second-year running back Giovani Bernard. Dalton now has Hill, and on top of that, third-year receiver Mohamed Sanu has been having a spectacular camp. Sanu threw a touchdown pass, caught a touchdown pass and burst through the line on what would have been a long run on a handoff from the backfield in Monday's practice.

A young fan works out during training camp on the practice field at Paul Brown stadium on Monday. (Photo: The Enquirer/Leigh Taylor)

"We have a lot of good football players and you have to take advantage of guys' skill sets," said Jackson. "We have a lot of different guys with a lot of different skills so every day we're trying to find different ways to make them be what I think they can and what I think they want to be. At the end of the day this is about the players. It's not about my system or anything like that. It's about what our players do best and give them a chance to be the best at what they do."

It still remains to be seen just how quick the offense will play and if the goal is to actually run less plays than the Bengals averaged last season (almost 69) or more.

"We just want to play at a pace that gives us a chance to have success and that's not dictated yet," said Jackson. "We have a lot of different ways we can play and what we'll do is just keep finding what's best. I, coach Lewis and the staff haven't determined what's best for us. I think we're getting closer."

He did promise the unit can go faster than it is.

"The locomotive hasn't taken off yet, but we're working at it," said Jackson. "I think there are a lot of good things and still some things that are a work in progress."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2014/07/29/bengals-offense-tempo-not-there-shaping-up/13337293/

Not a bad thing at all.

Rather than power lifting with heavy weights (and steroids) to build muscle and bulk

they are doing lots of reps with lighter weights to add definition to what they already have.

Very nice.

Also the rest of the NFL is going to get some excellent football players from our waiver wire.

Especially the D line cuts.

Archived