Andrew Hawkins Slams Gruden's Playbook

On how the playbook compares to last year and if this year's system fits his style of play better:

"There are some similarities, but this one is a lot more detailed, which is good, which I like. It takes a lot of the gray area out, and that was kind of our thing in Cincinnati. We had some gray area things, and I think this shores every up. I think that's good for an offense, details. That way everybody can be on the same page a little better."

http://www.19actionnews.com/story/26175918/browns-friday-andrew-hawkins-transcript

LOL. Yeah...Imma be honest. Part of me was like, "No shit, fucker. Gruden was mehhhhh." Then the other part of me was like, "How hard is it to praise your current situation without shitting on where you came from?" Like...I dunno. Fuck em either way. He's a true Brownie now. Good luck in the slot.

I think he's talking about all the option routes? There were a lot of INTs and incompletes last year where you could tell AD expected the WR to be somewhere else.  Not saying they were all the WR's fault but I think that's what he meant.

I think he's talking about all the option routes? There were a lot of INTs and incompletes last year where you could tell AD expected the WR to be somewhere else.  Not saying they were all the WR's fault but I think that's what he meant.

x2

I think calling this a slam is a stretch. More like mild criticism. Plenty of others have criticized Gruden for a variety of reasons, including that the offense was too big and too complex. I have argued that he was too willing to abandon the run and get pass happy. That being said, the offense still finished 6th in scoring and 10th in yards last year under Gruden. The biggest problem was turnovers, IMO, and it's pretty amazing the Bengals went 11-5 last year when they were only +1 in turnover margin. Not likely to replicate that success if Andy throws 20 interceptions again.

I think calling this a slam is a stretch. More like mild criticism. Plenty of others have criticized Gruden for a variety of reasons, including that the offense was too big and too complex. I have argued that he was too willing to abandon the run and get pass happy. That being said, the offense still finished 6th in scoring and 10th in yards last year under Gruden. The biggest problem was turnovers, IMO, and it's pretty amazing the Bengals went 11-5 last year when they were only +1 in turnover margin. Not likely to replicate that success if Andy throws 20 interceptions again.

I totally agree.. The production was fine, the turnovers were the killer that kept them from being a great offense.

Cutting down on the int's will be key, hopefully Hue's offense helps that.

not exactly a slam.

Neither were Hawkins earlier remarks about how Cleveland's OC had installed a playbook that gave more consideration to the things current players on the roster do well instead of an OC simply introducing a play and hoping players can find a way to make it work. 

IMHO neither of the criticisms quailfy as slams, but both criticisms taken together begin to paint a picture of a very successful OC who got the big stuff right but may not have had a firm grasp on finer details. Or gray areas, as Hawkins put it. 

As previously noted, many of us have made the same types of criticisms when evaluating Gruden, and if we're honest Hue Jackson says the same types of things on a near daily basis. (Attention to details. Managing your mistakes. Etc.)

Archived