McCarron Not Projected To Make Bengals Roster

McCarron Not Projected To Make Bengals Roster

24 hours ago

Injuries have not helped quarterback AJ McCarron's (Alabama) chances of being in a Cincinnati Bengals uniform on opening day.

McCarron, who has been sidelined due to shoulder problems, is being projected by ESPN's Coley Harvey to get left off Cincinnati's 53-man roster.

"The Bengals were content with having just two quarterbacks on the 53-man roster last season, and might do the same this season," Harvey said. "Rookie AJ McCarron would be the odd man out. He didn't practice in training camp after being placed on the active non-football injury list, and it doesn't seem like he's going to practice anytime soon."

McCarron was selected in the fifth round of the 2013 NFL Draft. He placed second in the voting for the 2013 Heisman Trophy after passing for 3,063 yards with 28 touchdowns and 7 interceptions.

6_3027017.jpg

http://247sports.com/Bolt/McCarron-Not-Projected-To-Make-Bengals-Roster-30386163

Isn't this pretty damn obvious? No teams today have 3qb's on their roster....except maybe 3-4 teams. He definitely wasn't going to be our backup + he's injured. I figured it was obvious this guy was going to be IR'd or put on the Practice Squad.

Hell if we PS'd him there would have to be a terribly desperate team to sign him off our squad to onto their roster. 

Isn't this pretty damn obvious? No teams today have 3qb's on their roster....except maybe 3-4 teams. He definitely wasn't going to be our backup + he's injured. I figured it was obvious this guy was going to be IR'd or put on the Practice Squad.

Hell if we PS'd him there would have to be a terribly desperate team to sign him off our squad to onto their roster. 

No chance he would be placed on the Practice Squad, he'd be snatched up right away. 

Frankly I'm not sure I believe he's really injured, I think they had plans for Red Shirting him and the injury is a convenient thing to do so without having to give up a roster spot.

He is basically being PUPed(active non football injury list).  He can stay on the list for 6 weeks (games) then the Bengals have 3 weeks to put him on the roster or IR him for the rest of the season.

BTW, I seriously DOUBT he is all that injured.  This is gaming the PUP system pure and simple.

No chance he would be placed on the Practice Squad, he'd be snatched up right away. 

Won't happen, but if it did the team that snatched him up would be doing us a favor by giving us our draft pick back.

Besides, which NFL team is going to sign and carry an injured QB on it's 53-man active roster?

The rumor/speculation I heard is that he will spend the year on IR as sort of a stealth red shirt and to build up his upper body strength.

I tend to buy into that, let's see what happens.

Agree. I don't see the Bengals dropping him. Why even draft him and waste a 5th round pick.

For a guy that's injured he sure does throw alot on the other training camp field.    Probably threw more balls than any QB dressed that particular day.

I'm guessing they are going to try to short the system and hopefully this doesn't result in a grievance filed by the player with union.

For a guy that's injured he sure does throw alot on the other training camp field.    Probably threw more balls than any QB dressed that particular day.

I'm guessing they are going to try to short the system and hopefully this doesn't result in a grievance filed by the player with union.

I would have to think AJ Mac and the Bengals have some sort of "deal" worked out.  

I would have to think AJ Mac and the Bengals have some sort of "deal" worked out.  

I hope because the guy was throwing a route tree from the opposite hash for both sides of the field and it lasted the whole time until they went into team drills and then AJ stood with coaches behind the huddle. 

He could force the issue by passing a physical. 

I hope because the guy was throwing a route tree from the opposite hash for both sides of the field and it lasted the whole time until they went into team drills and then AJ stood with coaches behind the huddle. 

He could force the issue by passing a physical. 

Or he could be a good teammate and go along with the bogus PUP designation and be inactive for 6 weeks.  He is the #3 QB, pure and simple.  If he wanted to force the issue, the Bengals could simply release his ass and he can take his $181,000 signing bonus and go somewhere else.

Frankly I'm not sure I believe he's really injured, I think they had plans for Red Shirting him and the injury is a convenient thing to do so without having to give up a roster spot.

Who would claim him that couldn't have drafted him? By the end of camp when final cuts are made, teams want veteran backup QBs who don't need a lot of practice snaps. 

With practice squad expanding to 10 players he's more likely to end up there. Teams are free to pay PS guys whatever they want so if he clears waivers, the Bengals could pay him what he'd make on the 53 man roster instead of signing him to a PS contract. I'll predict McCarron doesn't play a snap in preseason and clears waivers either to the PS or IR.

Who would claim him that couldn't have drafted him? By the end of camp when final cuts are made, teams want veteran backup QBs who don't need a lot of practice snaps. 

With practice squad expanding to 10 players he's more likely to end up there. Teams are free to pay PS guys whatever they want so if he clears waivers, the Bengals could pay him what he'd make on the 53 man roster instead of signing him to a PS contract. I'll predict McCarron doesn't play a snap in preseason and clears waivers either to the PS or IR.

Exactly. No team is putting him on their active roster

Exactly. No team is putting him on their active roster

But if he gets cut, ANY team can sign him to their Practice Squad.  Since Dalton just signed a 6-year deal, McCarron would probably prefer to go someplace else where he might have a chance to eventually challenge for a starting QB job.

They don't need to put him on the practice squad.  He is currently on the active non football injury list (PUP basically).  He doesn't need to clear waivers or take up a PS spot.  Between weeks 6 and 9 the Bengals either have to activate him to the 53 man roster, IR him for the rest of the year or release him and hope to sign him to the practice squad if he clears waivers.

If the guy has  talent, I imagine he makes it back on the roster by  week 9.   I can't imagine having a talented player on IR an entire season (they can't practice with the team) makes much sense if the player is not really injured.   

Archived