Bengals valued at less than $1 billion

Bengals valued at less than $1 billion
August, 20, 2014
Aug 20
5:30
PM ET
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Bengals are one of seven NFL franchises valued at less than $1 billion, according to the Forbes NFL Team Values list that was released Wednesday.

Most Valuable NFL Teams

The Cowboys top Forbes' list of the most valuable NFL franchises for the seventh straight year. A look at the top five teams in the list:

1. Cowboys

$3.2 billion

2. Patriots

$2.6B

3. Redskins

$2.4B

4. Giants

$2.1B

5. Texans

$1.85B

Source: Forbes' NFL Franchise Valuations

The Bengals are worth about $990 million, according to the magazine. They outpace the Raiders ($970 million), Jaguars ($965 million), Lions ($960 million) and Rams ($930 million). The Chargers also are valued at less than $1 billion, generating a net worth of $995 million.

Dallas led all NFL teams with an estimated value of $3.2 billion. The Patriots ranked second, said to be worth $2.6 billion.

This is the eighth consecutive season the Cowboys have sat atop Forbes' valuation rankings. They have risen in value by $900 million to become the only NFL team worth more than $3 billion. Among global sports franchises, they trail only soccer club Real Madrid ($3.4 billion) in value.

According to Forbes, the average NFL team is worth $1.43 billion. That's 23 percent more than this time last year, marking the biggest year-over-year increase in average team value since 1999.

Per the magazine, the Bengals had $258 million in revenue last season while generating $12 million in income. As Forbes points out, the Bengals are in the process of asking Hamilton County (Ohio) to cede them naming rights to Paul Brown Stadium in exchange for allowing the county to build a nearby apartment building that is eight to 10 feet higher than the Bengals said was allowed under the team's stadium lease. Construction already is underway in the Riverfront area now known locally as "The Banks."

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/10236/bengals-nfl-forbes-magazine-value-1-billion-990-million

Nobody thinks any NBA team is actually worth 2 billion. Ballmer offered that much to get into the LA market but I wonder if anyone else offered even 1 billion?

Clippers claimed there were at least four offers, including two losing bids near 1.5 Billion....still twice what Forbes said the team was worth. 

Cincy ain't Hollywood, I admit, but there seems to be no shortage of real estate cheats and truck-stop Jimmies willing to pay beyond top dollar to gain entrance to the ultimate billionaire boys club, and if the average value of an NFL team is 1.43 billion, as Forbes suggests, I see no reason why the Bengals shouldn't bring that much if sold, presumably after Mike Brown has eaten his last pickle. 

I could see the Bengals getting well more than a billion if sold. But a sale is unlikely (unless the family runs into estate tax problems after Mike's passing). The Brown family now owns all but 1 share of the team and presumably have their shares in a trust or some other vehicle to bypass probate and estate taxes. 

Clippers claimed there were at least four offers, including two losing bids near 1.5 Billion....still twice what Forbes said the team was worth. 

Cincy ain't Hollywood, I admit, but there seems to be no shortage of real estate cheats and truck-stop Jimmies willing to pay beyond top dollar to gain entrance to the ultimate billionaire boys club, and if the average value of an NFL team is 1.43 billion, as Forbes suggests, I see no reason why the Bengals shouldn't bring that much if sold, presumably after Mike Brown has eaten his last pickle.

This and the speculation that expansion into new markets like London will bring lump sum franchise payments and increased TV deals that aren't factored into Forbes valuation as they base it on estimated cash flows of current Revenue streams.

How is one of the most inept organizations in pro sports also one of the most valuable?  Imagine what would happen if Dallas didn't get 5+ prime time games just for one year.  Either way, how long can the ESPNFL keep them afloat?

TV revenues are shared. They have Jerry world.

This and the speculation that expansion into new markets like London will bring lump sum franchise payments and increased TV deals that aren't factored into Forbes valuation as they base it on estimated cash flows of current Revenue streams.

Don't forget Los Angeles.

The projected franchise fee was rumored to be over 1 billion dollars several years ago. 

Since then both the Dodgers and Clippers have been sold for 2 billion or more. 

I don't see why a small market team like the Bengals would be valued at more than what they are at. Sounds about right. It's not like they are commanding any prime time TV coverage due to their excellence in that arena or the playoffs.

I don't see why a small market team like the Bengals would be valued at more than what they are at. Sounds about right. It's not like they are commanding any prime time TV coverage due to their excellence in that arena or the playoffs.

If you think winning in prime time or even making the postseason has much bearing on who gets prime time games you might want to have a 2nd look at that schedule. 

How is one of the most inept organizations in pro sports also one of the most valuable?  Imagine what would happen if Dallas didn't get 5+ prime time games just for one year.  Either way, how long can the ESPNFL keep them afloat?

I think they own the stadium.  That's a big BIG chunk of that money.

I think they own the stadium.  That's a big BIG chunk of that money.

city owns it.      However, the stadium has bigger revenue producing streams for Cowboy games vs. most stadiums.     The big question would be do the Cowboys get revenue from other events held there?

That stadium has already hosted several high profile basketball and football events other than Cowboy games.

Not to sound stupid. but why don't they?

Don't know the official line but they'd probably make some noises about accountability and the like.. 

Realistically? I'm not an accountant but a publicly-traded corporation is subject to far more government regulation & oversight.  That's the last thing the NFL wants.

Not to sound stupid. but why don't they?

Packers are grandfathered in (I own a share). As a publicly owned company they have to provide their several hundred thousand shareholders with audited financial statements. Those are effectively public information. The rest of the NFL doesn't want to report profits and losses publicly. The union gets a share of certain revenues but the league bargains hard over what is and isn't included. 

I believe it's still the case that teams consider players capital assets and depreciate them over the course of their contracts.

Archived