Preseason power rankings: No. 11 Cincinnati Bengals

Preseason power rankings: No. 11 Cincinnati Bengals

By Chuck Mills on Aug 21 2014, 10:00a 

20140816_ads_aw3_311.JPG.0_standard_783.
Andrew Weber-USA TODAY Sports

The Cincinnati Bengals won the AFC North during a down year for the Ravens and Steelers. I don't expect them to repeat.

2013 Record: 11-5

Notable Losses:James Harrison, Andrew Hawkins, Chris Cook, Michael Johnson, Anthony Collins

Notable Gains: Danieal Manning, Marshall Newhouse, Jason Campbell

Draft Class: Darqueze Dennard, Jeremy Hill, Will Clarke, Russell Bodine, A.J. McCarron, Marquis Flowers, James Wright, Lavelle Westbrooks

The Facts: The Bengals are a very talented team. They had the fifth best defense in the NFL, a statistic that I don't expect to change drastically as they'll be featuring Vontaze Burfict and Geno Atkins, among others. They have a talented running back stable with Gio Bernard, Cedric Peerman ,Jeremy Hill, James Wilder Jr. and BenJarvus Green-Ellis — so much so that Green-Ellis may be out of a roster spot.

They have an offensive line that was very good at keeping Andy Dalton upright and a very talented receiving corps featuring A.J. Green, one of the best wide receivers in the NFL.

They also have Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu, Dane Sanzenbacher, Cobi Hamilton and James Wright, who aren't bad supplementary options, and a decent tight end tandem in Tyler Eifert and Jermaine Gresham.

But for all that talent that had the Bengals upstaging high-end opponents like the Packers, Patriots, Ravens, Colts and Steelers, and that won them the AFC North, they have their issues. Namely Dalton did not perform well against divisional opponents, as he threw for 1,361 yards, 10 touchdowns and 10 interceptions in divisional play. That's 226 yards, one touchdown and one Interception per game. If his divisional opponents were able to do better offensively those wins would've been losses.

Also as I said earlier the Bengals won a down AFC North. The Ravens, Steelers and Browns combined to go 18-30. The Bengals shouldn't have such an easy time winning a division now that both (or at least one) of those opponents improved this offseason.

Part of the reason I have the Bengals down here is just the fact that going 8-0 at home is an incredible feat and that it's unlikely to be replicated, another part is due to the fact that they now have to play a first place schedule.

Mix that all together and the Bengals should experience a regression,however they are still talented enough to win in the playoffs if Andy Dalton ever gets his act together.

Predicted Record: 10-6. Wins against Browns (x2), Ravens, Steelers, Buccaneers, Titans, Panthers, Falcons, Jaguars and Texans

If you disagree with my assessment and ranking remember: Unless it's something crazy,your guess is as good as mine.

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2014/8/21/6050175/power-rankings-no-11-cincinnati-bengals

3rd by yards, 5th by points.

Never agreed with the points ranking.  The defense gets stuck with pick 6's, kick returns for TD's and redzone turnovers.  Total yards given up is more indicative of how well they performed at stopping opposing offenses.

Never agreed with the points ranking.  The defense gets stuck with pick 6's, kick returns for TD's and redzone turnovers.  Total yards given up is more indicative of how well they performed at stopping opposing Po

Points allowed are the only thing that matters. I couldn't care less if the Bengals defense gives up  an average of 650 yards a game to an opponent, if they average allowing only 10 points per game

Points allowed are the only thing that matters. I couldn't care less if the Bengals defense gives up  an average of 650 yards a game to an opponent, if they average allowing only 10 points per game

I would agree with you if you take out pick 6's and kick returns for score.. The defense isn't even on the field for those plays.  Also, when the offense turns the ball over in their own red zone and the defense holds them to a field goal, that is a win for the unit, but they get saddled with the 3 points anyway.

I would agree with you if you take out pick 6's and kick returns for score.. The defense isn't even on the field for those plays.  Also, when the offense turns the ball over in their own red zone and the defense holds them to a field goal, that is a win for the unit, but they get saddled with the 3 points anyway.

They have this "game score" metric I've seen where there is an expected points from any spot on the field, and time to play.  It would be interesting to look at the difference between that score at the start of drives (offense and defense) and the real scoring to measure the value of a unit.

So if the defense takes the field at a spot where the expectation is the O should score 5 points, and they hold them to a FG, that's a two point win.

They have this "game score" metric I've seen where there is an expected points from any spot on the field, and time to play.  It would be interesting to look at the difference between that score at the start of drives (offense and defense) and the real scoring to measure the value of a unit.

So if the defense takes the field at a spot where the expectation is the O should score 5 points, and they hold them to a FG, that's a two point win.

Interesting.

Never agreed with the points ranking.  The defense gets stuck with pick 6's, kick returns for TD's and redzone turnovers.  Total yards given up is more indicative of how well they performed at stopping opposing offenses.

I think their needs to be some sort of "Sabermetric" for points allowed by the defense that would take out pick-6, K/P returns for TDs, and "partial credit" for being put in bad field position.

Archived