Is Cincinnati Bengals’ Andy Dalton The Next Peyton Manning?

Is Cincinnati Bengals’ Andy Dalton The Next Peyton Manning?

August 17, 2014 5:16 pm EDT by Connor Howe

Andy-Dalton.jpg

Getty Images

After guiding the Cincinnati Bengals to the playoffsicon1.png for the third consecutive year in the 2013 season, Andy Dalton was scrutinized for his poor performance in the team’s playoff lossicon1.png to the San Diego Chargers. Dalton has put together a spectacular first three years to his career, putting up historic numbers and leading the Bengals to the playoffs each season, and this all happened after Dalton was drafted to a Bengals franchise that was in shambles.

After finishing 4-12 in a season in which the Bengals lost 10 consecutive games, the team lost franchise quarterback Carson Palmer, top receivers Chad Ochocinco and Terrell Owens, leading tackler Dhani Jones, defensive star Jonathan Joseph, and hired a new offensive coordinator in  Jay Gruden.

Enter rookie quarterback Dalton and rookie wide receivericon1.png A.J. Green.

In the 2011-12 season, Dalton led the Bengals to a 9-7 record and the second Wild Card spot in the playoffs; in that season, Dalton threw 20 touchdownsicon1.png to 13 interceptions, posted a 58.1 completion percentage, and led four game-winning drives, all of which were fourth-quarter comebacks. Although Dalton did not play well in the Bengals’ playofficon1.png loss to the Houston Texans, he led a team that was supposed to finish with five wins at best to the playoffs — as a rookie.

Keep in mind that Dalton’s receiving corps was made up of one similar to that of the Panthers. His best receiver was an inexperienced rookie, and there were no other impact receivers on the roster.

In the 2012 season, Dalton started to gain more attention. He led the Bengals to a 10-6 record while leading them to the second Wild Card spot for the second consecutive year. Dalton threw 27 touchdowns to 16 interceptions and posted a 62.3 completion percentage, while playing for an atrocious offensive line that allowed him to be sacked 46 times. He led three game-winning drives, one of which was a fourth- quarter comeback.

This season was the first time that the Bengals made the playoffs in back-to-back seasons since 1982. Dalton also became the third quarterback in NFL history to throw at least 20 touchdownicon1.png passes in his first two seasons, joining Dan Marino and Peyton Manning. He struggled again in the playoffs, and the Bengals lost to the Texans for a second consecutive year.

The 2013 season was perhaps Dalton’s best season to date. He led the Bengals to an 11-5 record, throwing 33 touchdown passes to 20 interceptions, posting a 61.9 completion percentage, and a passer rating of 88.8. Supported by his top-five defenseicon1.png, Dalton was only forced to lead three game-winning drives, none of which occurred in the fourth quarter.

The Bengals posted a perfect 8-0 record in Paul Brown stadium, yet lost to the Chargers in the first round of the playoffs at home.

After his playoff lossesicon1.png, Dalton has undergone major scrutiny, and for good reason. Although he has succeeded in the regular season, he has yet to show any sort of ability to win in the playoffs. But there is hope for Dalton; take Peyton Manning, for example. Manning, like Dalton, played spectacular football during his first three seasons, yet he lost his first three playoff gamesicon1.png.

Manning probably underwent his fair share of scrutiny, but he finally won his first playoff gameicon1.png in his sixth NFL season.

What’s the point of all this? Be patient with Dalton. Sure, his defense has been spectacular and yes, Green is the best receiver in football not named Calvin Johnson. Dalton should be able to do his part, right? Maybe not, and that’s okay. It took Manning six years to win his first playoff gameicon1.png; it could take Dalton even longer. However, with three playoff losses now behind him and a new contract to his name, Dalton is now ready to make a name for himself in the NFL.

He may not be Manning, but he is still a solid starting quarterback who would be the best quarterback on at least 15 different NFL rosters.

Dalton has supporticon1.png from his coaching staff, his teammates and Bengals fans everywhere. After posting a perfect passer rating in the Bengals’ Week 2 preseason loss to the Jets, the “Who Dey” nation is ready to see what the “Red Rifle” can do for the Bengals this year.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/08/17/andy-dalton-the-next-peyton-manning/?utm_source=RantSports&utm_medium=HUBRecirculation&utm_term=NFLCincinnati%20BengalsGrid

wtf is rant sports? There's some strange sources out there that are now starting to be considered "media" and "articles"

I need to start throwing random Bengals nonsense on my home inspection business blog, and start posting them here. It will really help my SEO :26:

Here are Payton Manning's first 3 playoff games--all losses. After taking a look at these performances, Andy's playoff games don't look so bad!

Year Date       Team  Opp   Result   Comp  Att  Comp %  Yards TD Int QB Rate
1999 1/16/2000  IND   TEN   L 16-19  19    42   45.24%  227   0  0   62.3
2000 12/30/2000 IND @ MIA   L 17-23  17    32   53.13%  194   1  0   82.0
2002 1/4/2003   IND @ NYJ   L  0-41  14    31   45.16%  137   0  2   31.2

Peyton had a HORRID defense to overcome and the Colts were at that time all offense, all the time. Andy has had the benefit of a very good defense AND similarly talented skill players on offense that Peyton had.

I'm so tired of that excuse. In the second game (Peyton's best where he threw his only TD & had no turnovers) Peyton's defense intercepted Fielder 3 freaking times! And still Peyton's team lost! No one is saying Andy is gonna be the next Peyton but as Arkansas said, his numbers don't look so bad when you take a realistic look at Peyton's back then too.

I'm so tired of that excuse. In the second game (Peyton's best where he threw his only TD & had no turnovers) Peyton's defense intercepted Fielder 3 freaking times! And still Peyton's team lost! No one is saying Andy is gonna be the next Peyton but as Arkansas said, his numbers don't look so bad when you take a realistic look at Peyton's back then too.

Not to mention a HoF offensive line, Marvin Harrison, Edgerrin James, & then Reggie Wayne as well in '02. 

I mean, I like our offense too, but get real. 

Get real? Excuse? My whole point of contention is that Andy Dalton is not and will never be Peyton Manning...and we should all be fine with that as because nobody else is either.

But facts are facts...just because the Colts defense played good in a game doesn't mean the unit was overall good over the course of a season. Having a great defense matters, and the Bengals have had one since Dalton has been here and Manning essentially has never had one. I also pointed out about an even wash between the skill players Manning had on offense (James, Faulk, Harrison, later Wayne and Clark, etc) versus our crop of Green, Gresh, Benson/Bernard, Jones, etc.

True, Manning eventually enjoyed one of the best offensive lines in the league...but ours isn't terrible.

And furthermore, do we really want Dalton to be compared to Manning anyway? Yes, Manning has a ring, but how many choke jobs did he have in the playoffs after resounding and record-breaking regular seasons before he finally got one?

Actually it is asking if Dalton Is Manning.

The answer is hell no

Not to mention a HoF offensive line, Marvin Harrison, Edgerrin James, & then Reggie Wayne as well in '02. 

I mean, I like our offense too, but get real. 

Exactly
And this 'crappy' Colts defense held the Titans to only 19 points in the first game & Miami to only 17 (in regulation time) the second game. Only in the third game vs the Jets did the Colt's defense play like their ranking.

Exactly
And this 'crappy' Colts defense held the Titans to only 19 points in the first game & Miami to only 17 (in regulation time) the second game. Only in the third game vs the Jets did the Colt's defense play like their ranking.

Well, truth be told, I'd rather have a regular season defense that isn't as good and steps it up just enough in the playoffs as long as we are winning games because the QB play is so damn special, but that's the point...we don't have that luxury in Dalton whom isn't a once-in-a-generation QB. 

Archived