Bengals, Carson Palmer meet again

Bengals, Carson Palmer meet again

1399644758000-pdehner.jpg Paul Dehner Jr., pdehnerjr@enquirer.com 4:55 p.m. EDT August 21, 2014
usatsi7641987.jpg

(Photo: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports)

Marvin Lewis distinctly remembers the first few times he worked out Carson Palmer, the Heisman Trophy touting quarterback from USC.

Even 12 years later, the details of an ideal specimen for playing the quarterback position shine through the animated reaction Lewis uncorks while describing his first pick as head coach of the Bengals.

"We worked him out on our own, and my gosh," Lewis said. "You still see it every time he drops back. It's just, he's impressive, his physical skills that way, throwing the ball. It's hard to compare anybody else to. I've never seen anybody like it."

They'd never seen an exit like it, either.

Three years separate Lewis and the Bengals organization from the fateful offseason when Palmer asked to be traded or he'd retire, leaving $50 million on the table. His declaration set forth a series of events sparking the most successful three-year run of victories in Bengals history.

The two sides will come face to face again Sunday as Palmer lines up across from Lewis with the Arizona Cardinals.

"He's gone on, we've gone on and everybody's happy," Lewis said.

Of the current group of 86 Bengals players owning a locker inside Paul Brown Stadium, only 16 held a locker at the same time as Palmer. The carousel spins fast in the NFL. Players fly off the side on a regular basis.

In that respect when the Bengals line up across from Palmer on Sunday, he will be just another player facing his former team. The vast majority of players in the NFL have experienced the same. Plus, this will be the second go-round for Palmer. He endured a 34-10 defeat and was slammed onto the PBS welcome mat by Geno Atkins in 2012.

Yet, in reality, Palmer can never be just another guy. He still owns franchise records for career completion percentage, passer rating and most discussed departure. Playing against the Bengals — regardless of time or venue — won't be another game even if most faces have changed underneath the helmets.

"I got respect for Carson, always have and always will," said safety Reggie Nelson, who joined the Bengals in 2010. "He is playing his ex-team, if you were playing your ex-team you would be in the film room studying. He's playing against the Bengals … it's going to mean something to him even if it is the preseason."

For no individual with the Bengals will Palmer always be more than just another guy than offensive coordinator Hue Jackson. After all, it was Jackson who traded for Palmer on Oct. 18, 2011 in hopes of salvaging a playoff run after starter Jason Campbell got hurt.

Jackson recruited Palmer in high school, coached him in college at USC and during two different stints in the NFL.

"My and his relationship will always be different," Jackson said. "It will always be special. He came to help me at a time when I needed him. Obviously, I didn't get it done but he was there for me."

Palmer's in prime position to get it done now at 34 years old. He found a fantastic fit in Arizona, going 10-6 last season, winning seven of their last nine and narrowly missing the playoffs. From afar, Lewis couldn't help but notice the career high 4,274 yards and four game-winning drives. Looked familiar.

"He played his tail off last year," said Lewis of Palmer, 34, whose career high for game-winning drives was five in 2009. "He's still Carson."

Lewis says he hasn't spoken with Palmer since after the victory against the Raiders in 2012, minus a text apology dialogue when an interview comment hit the media in an unintended fashion. The days of tension between player and franchise dissipated.

Players reiterate constantly the reality of football as a business. As game-changing as Palmer's exit may have been don't look for grudges here.

"I don't think anyone on this team has any bad blood against Carson," right tackle Andre Smith said. "It's just a situation that came up and he bettered himself and we bettered ourself in our situation."

This likely won't be the final meeting between Palmer and his former club. The Bengals are scheduled to travel to Arizona in the regular season next year as part of the a slate playing the entire NFC West. Palmer's contract in Arizona currently runs through next year.

At that point, the number of current Bengals with ties the Palmer era will continue to diminish. Little by little, the connections will disappear completely. But, for Lewis, an acknowledgement of the generational physical talent Palmer possesses won't fade away from memory.

The recollection returns every time a new college quarterback enters the building.

"That's why it's hard coming in here and every time we look at a quarterback and we bring these guys in from off the street," Lewis said, leaning back in his chair and widening his smile and laughing. "Man, it's hard to compare."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/2014/08/21/bengals-reunited-carson-palmer/14402413/

Archived