Cardinals at Bengals: Sean Porter projected as Vontaze Burfict's replacement

Cardinals at Bengals: Sean Porter projected as Vontaze Burfict's replacement

By Josh Kirkendall @Josh_Kirkendall on Aug 23 2014, 11:06a 

20130604_kkt_bk2_105.0_standard_783.0.jp
USA TODAY Sports

He's been hurt throughout most of his one-year career, but the Bengals coaching staff have always loved Sean Porter's athleticism. If Vontaze Burfict, who is dealing with a stomach bug, can't go, then Porter could get the start.

With a rumored contract agreement and a "stomach bug" that's wiped out three straight practices, Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict may sit during his homecoming in Arizona when Cincinnati plays the Cardinals on NBC's Sunday Night Football.

Replacing him could be second-year linebacker Sean Porter -- a 2013 fourth-round pick who missed his entire rookie season with a torn labrum. Porter played all four seasons at Texas A&M, posting 14.5 quarterback sacks with 9.5 during his junior year, and 34.5 tackles for loss.

"With Vontaze being sick this week it’s been a great opportunity for Sean because I made them put Sean in at Vontaze’s spot with the first group," Lewis said via Bengals.com. "If we were playing real games, it may be not what we would do, but we can afford to do it right now. And I want to see him do it because he keeps growing. The light’s on. You can see the smile…. He needs to have positive things happen to him. "

When the Bengals drafted him, Lewis said that Porter has "great athleticism. He has played inside and outside. He can run and cover. He's similar to Thomas Howard."

Then linebackers coach, and now defensive coordinator, Paul Guenther added that, "he a good cover guy. He offers a lot at the table as far as the different things he can do for us."

Unfortunately, injury derailed his growth during an August 12 practice. Now, like most players facing unfortunate and unlucky circumstances just wanting to prove themselves, Porter could have a significant opportunity to claim a spot on the team's 53-man roster. Then again, based on Lewis' comments from Friday afternoon, I'm not sure that won't be a problem.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/bengals-cardinals/2014/8/23/6059875/cardinals-at-bengals-sean-porter-projected-as-vontaze-burficts

I'm pretty sure that not only did he not start- he barely played.

Dont remember hearing his name until the last play of the game

cincyjungle's been putting out a lot of sloppy work lately.

Marvin even states in the article that if it were a game, they'd go a different route (which they did with vinny rey).  It was just for one practice, and cincyjungle blew it out of proportion.

This site has been rife with the posting of crap articles by hacks who have websites and pretend to be journalists. 

My favorite was the recently posted one that made 5 BOLD predictions about the Arizona game, and one of them was that Dalton was "bound to regress this week."  Yeah, he was absolutely perfect last week, so, yeah...pretty bold stuff right there.

This site has been rife with the posting of crap articles by hacks who have websites and pretend to be journalists. 

My favorite was the recently posted one that made 5 BOLD predictions about the Arizona game, and one of them was that Dalton was "bound to regress this week."  Yeah, he was absolutely perfect last week, so, yeah...pretty bold stuff right there.

Unless you are willing to do the work that Arkansas has been doing in posting these articles to the site, please keep your criticisms to yourself.

Unless you are willing to do the work that Arkansas has been doing in posting these articles to the site, please keep your criticisms to yourself.

Come on, man, he's not dogging Arkansas, he's just talking about the utter crap that is being posted by supposed "Journalists".

Archived