CAPABLE DALTON COULD BE HOLDING BENGALS BACK

Andy Dalton is a playoff quarterback.

In his three years with the Cincinnati Bengals he's proven to be an efficient quarterback and has navigated his team to three straight playoff appearances, including a division title last year. But that's about it.

That's far from a bad thing, especially for a Bengals team that had made the playoffs only twice in the last two decades before Dalton's arrival. But now's the time Cincinnati has to decide if they're content no longer being the punch line to jokes as they were for so many years in the 90s and early 2000s, or if they want to strive for something more and fight for a Super Bowl.

Dalton's new contract – a six-year, $115 million deal that essentially works out to a pay as you go pact – will let the Bengals determine each year if they're happy, or ready for a change.

If the Bengals feel with Dalton they can continue to grow and one day match up well with the heavyweights of the AFC, and there's some evidence to support that, then it'd be wise to keep Dalton for the duration of his new deal rather than start from scratch at the position.

After leading Cincinnati to a 9-7 record in his rookie campaign in 2011, Dalton has helped Cincy increase their win total each year. The former second round pick from TCU has also increased his passing yards and touchdown totals each year as well.

And Dalton has the backing of his teammates as well, including the highest profile ones.

"That's my guy," star receicer A.J. Green said of Dalton to CBS in the off-season. "He helped me where I am. I helped him and we took the Bengals to a different level. The Bengals were losing a lot before we came. I feel like we turned it around. I know they know he's the guy.”

And yet every year come playoff time the Bengals are all but ignored. In Dalton's first playoff game, Cincy fell 31-10 to the Houston Texans. He followed that up with a 19-13 loss to the Texans in 2012 and last year the Bengals were dropped 27-10 by the San Diego Chargers.

And Dalton's performances in those games left a lot to be desired. While his post-season passing yards average is on par with his regular season numbers, his accuracy is four points lower and he threw his first playoff touchdown just last year, although the impact was mitigated with his fifth and sixth post-season interceptions coming in the same game.

The Bengals have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball, but Dalton – a capable game manager – may be holding them back from truly contending. He's proven he can get them in the dance, so starting anew at QB would surely set the Bengals back, but it may be a necessary move for long-term success, if they feel the supporting cast can win a Super Bowl with the right guy under centre.

Notes

With Dalton's and middle linebacker Vontaze Burfict's contract out of the way, the next Bengal to possibly get a big time money extensions is Dalton's favourite target and consistent 1,000-yard receiver A.J. Green.

An area of concern for the Bengals heading into the season could be their offensive line. The team lost left Anthony Collins in free agency, didn't bring back centre Kyle Cook, and will move move Andrew Whitworth to the left side to replace Collins.

The Bengals stayed away from the annual free agent bidding wars but landed some decent depth pieces, headlined by solid if not spectacular backup quarterback Jason Campbell.

Cincinnati addressed an aging secondary with their first round pick Darqueze Dennard, who was a bit of a steal at 24th overall. They added another running back to their rotation in second rounder Jeremy Hill and a famous third-string quarterback in Alabama's AJ McCarron in the fifth round.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=460484

With Dalton's and middle linebacker Vontaze Burfict's contract out of the way, the next Bengal to possibly get a big time money extensions is Dalton's favourite target and consistent 1,000-yard receiver A.J. Green.

An area of concern for the Bengals heading into the season could be their offensive line. The team lost left Anthony Collins in free agency, didn't bring back centre Kyle Cook, and will move move Andrew Whitworth to the left side to replace Collins.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=460484

huuhh...???

He probably should have said that Whitworth would be moving from Left Guard to Left Tackle to replace Collins (which is technically true).

LOL, yeah but it basically points out that the writer has NO fucking idea what he is talking about.  The guy is under the impression AC was the best Left Tackle on the team which is NOT true.

He probably should have said that Whitworth would be moving from Left Guard to Left Tackle to replace Collins (which is technically true).

Yeah, not really.. Technically, Collins replaced Whit who slid over to replace Boling when he exited due to knee injury.  The move was made not because of Collin's awesomeness as a LT, but more so because if his weakness as a guard.  Whit was never supplanted as the starter, which is what is implied by the way he says it.

LOL, yeah but it basically points out that the writer has NO fucking idea what he is talking about.  The guy is under the impression AC was the best Left Tackle on the team which is NOT true.

Agree 100%

Yeah, not really.. Technically, Collins replaced Whit who slid over to replace Boling when he exited due to knee injury.  The move was made not because of Collin's awesomeness as a LT, but more so because if his weakness as a guard.  Whit was never supplanted as the starter, which is what is implied by the way he says it.

I agree--the writer is a dumbass...

I hope everyone knows that just because I post a Bengals article, it doesn't mean I agree with the content...

oh, so you're a plagiarist?  :ninja:

Seriously, the idiots who have been shooting the messenger should be shot.  Thanks for posting, even when the content happens to be putrid tripe.

I would ask that you use the Article tag, though. 

Seriously, the idiots who have been shooting the messenger should be shot.  Thanks for posting, even when the content happens to be putrid tripe.

I find the Article tag annoying.  It's easy enough to tell a post is an article since all mine have a link at the bottom.

I find the Article tag annoying.  It's easy enough to tell a post is an article since all mine have a link at the bottom.

I'm on the fence about this.. Maybe we should bring up another community vote on it?  The first one was overwhelmingly in favor of the tag, but maybe some minds have changed since as the volume of posts has increased and people got to see it in action for a while.

The problem is this isn't an "article" in the sense that it was written by an internet hack with no sources. Only sourced articles that actually talk to the team or other NFL sources need to be posted, because otherwise we're just reading what amounts to a long message board post.

The problem is this isn't an "article" in the sense that it was written by an internet hack with no sources. Only sourced articles that actually talk to the team or other NFL sources need to be posted, because otherwise we're just reading what amounts to a long message board post.

And who is supposed to make the decision as to what constitutes a 'sourced article'? 

If it's a problem, I can make it easy for everybody and stop posting articles that I read online...it would certainly save me a lot of time each day.

And who is supposed to make the decision as to what constitutes a 'sourced article'? 

If it's a problem, I can make it easy for everybody and stop posting articles that I read online...it would certainly save me a lot of time each day.

Well, if there are quotes in it, and not those attributed to another news source, then it's a sourced article. It's easy, just read before posting.

Seriously what the fuck?

You are going to criticize a guy for taking his spare time to go and find content for everyone on here to read so you don't have to go through the trouble of finding these yourself?  Really?  You don't think his work is good enough for you, and he should work harder (for free) so you don't have to be bothered with the trouble of taking some time to decide if you want to read something or not?

It's too much to ask for you to scroll past the article, or better yet just not click on it?  We should all be sorry for wasting your time?

SMFH

Archived