Bengals cut safety Daniel Manning!!!

He really wasn't meshing with our scheme.. I think he would do better going back to a cover 2 like he played in Houston.

I thought Manning would make the 53 man roster, but wasn't surprised when he didn't. There had been a few rumblings that he wasn't safe recently and I think the team thought Sean Porter was more valuable to keep. That seems to be the tradeoff that was made in keeping 7 linebackers and only 9 defensive backs. I believed it would be 6 and 10, respectively. I am glad Taylor Mays was not cut and if it was a choice between Mays or Manning, I would gladly cut the latter.

I doubt it. I think the Bengals really like the S that Iloka is becoming. Shawn is a solid third, and probably Nelson's replacement.

I agree. Iloka has made a couple plays this preseason and I've heard from reporters and coaches that they think he's gonna make a leap into being more of a playmaker this year rather than playing not to screw up.

He was solid last year and was rarely out of position.

Williams seems like a liability in coverage at this point.

I agree. Iloka has made a couple plays this preseason and I've heard from reporters and coaches that they think he's gonna make a leap into being more of a playmaker this year rather than playing not to screw up.

He was solid last year and was rarely out of position.

Williams seems like a liability in coverage at this point.

Williams is a good safety in coverage. Iloka's weakest point is his coverage. He messes up his coverage more than anything. He's a superb run support safety.

Williams is a good safety in coverage. Iloka's weakest point is his coverage. He messes up his coverage more than anything. He's a superb run support safety.

weakest point??

Iloka had the 9th lowest QB passer rating against him in 2013 (out of all safeties in the NFL, strong or free)

Iloka was 1 of only 4 safeties (strong or free) in the NFL in 2013 to not allow a TD pass to a man he was covering

Iloka played more snaps on defense than any other player on the team (including Burfict)

Iloka played the whole 2013 season with a broken hand

Marvin Lewis on Iloka....“He didn’t come up with many interceptions, if he had one at all. But maybe there’s more opportunity there. The thing is, the ball gets closed down the middle of the field, and that’s good. If we’re in the half or whatever coverage we’re on, he executed the coverage and did a nice job. He played all year with a broken hand, and I think this coming year he’s healthy now and should really make a big difference in everything he’s doing.”

Idk but he looks & sounds like a good coverage safety to me. His weakest point is creating turnovers. I think with the year experience under his belt & the healed broken hand he improves this season in that area.

And the knock on Williams coming out of college was his ability to cover at the pro level. Even Zimmer called him out on it as something he needed to work on.

Williams taking Iloka's job by next season ain't happening. Iloka is primed for a breakout year if anything.

Archived