Bengals 53-man roster set

The Bengals officially announced their final cuts. See updates on those at this link, but more importantly here is the 53-man roster as of today. Remember, changes could occur if the Bengals make any succesful waiver claims on other players Sunday. The team can also add 10 players to their practice squad tomorrow.

ROSTER

QB (2):

Andy Dalton, Jason Campbell.

RB (4):

Giovani Bernard, Jeremy Hill, Cedric Peerman, Rex Burkhead

WR (6):

A.J. Green, Marvin Jones, Mo Sanu, Dane Sanzenbacher, Brandon Tate, James Wright

TE/H-B (4):

Jermaine Gresham, Tyler Eifert, Alex Smith, Ryan Hewitt

OL (9):

Andrew Whitworth, Kevin Zeitler, Clint Boling, Mike Pollak, Russell Bodine, Andre Smith, Marshall Newhouse, Tanner Hawkinson, T.J. Johnson.

DL (9):

Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins, Domata Peko, Wallace Gilberry, Margus Hunt, Brandon Thompson, Robert Geathers, Christo Bilukidi, Will Clarke.

LB (7):

Vontaze Burfict, Rey Maualuga, Emmanuel Lamur, Vinny Rey, Jayson DiManche, Marquis Flowers, Sean Porter

CB (5):

Leon Hall, Terence Newman, Adam Jones, Darqueze Dennard, Dre Kirkpatrick

S (4):

Reggie Nelson, George Iloka, Shawn Williams, Taylor Mays

ST (3):

Clark Harris, Mike Nugent, Kevin Huber

NFI: QB A.J. McCarron

Here is the offiical release on today's cuts from the Bengals.

BENGALS TRIM ROSTER TO NFL LIMIT OF 53

The Bengals today made the following 18 roster moves in reaching the NFL limit of 53:

* Placed one player on the Reserve/Injured list:

--G Trey Hopkins (leg)

* Placed one player on the Reserve/Non-Football Injury list:

--QB AJ McCarron (shoulder)

(McCarron will remain with the team for rehab and meetings, but may not practice for Weeks 1-6 of the regular season. Beginning the week following Week 6, he will begin a window of eligibility to return to practice under a roster exemption, if medically cleared.)

* Terminated the contracts of two vested veterans, releasing them to free agency:

--S Danieal Manning

--OT Will Svitek

* Moved one player to the Reserve/Suspended by Commissioner list:

--CB Chris Lewis-Harris (suspended for Games 1-2 for violating NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse.)

* Waived 13 players:

--H-back Orson Charles (third-year player, Georgia)

--OT Dan France (rookie, Michigan State)

--WR Cobi Hamilton (first year, Arkansas)

--CB Victor Hampton (rookie, South Carolina)

--DT David King (first year, Oklahoma)

--WR Colin Lockett (rookie, San Diego State)

--CB Onterio McCalebb (first year, Auburn)

--DE Dontay Moch (second year, Nevada)

--DE Sam Montgomery (second-year, Louisiana State)

--C Trevor Robinson (third year, Notre Dame)

--DT Devon Still (third-year, Penn State)

--FB Nikita Whitlock (rookie, Wake Forest)\

--HB James Wilder Jr. (rookie, Florida State)

PRACTICE SQUAD: All players waived today will be eligible to be signed to an NFL practice squad if they clear waivers tomorrow. The Bengals plan to announce tomorrow a practice squad of up to 10 players.

ADDITIONAL BENGALS MOVE

The Bengals today waived rookie CB Lavelle Westbrooks of Georgia Southern from the Reserve/Injured list, with an injury settlement (thumb).

(KFFL)Cincinnati Bengals TE Orson Charles, OG Dan France, WR Cobi Hamilton, CB Victor Hampton, DT David King, WR Colin Lockett, CB Onterio McCalebb, DE Dontay Moch, DE Sam Montgomery, OG Trevor Robinson, FB Nikita Whitlock and RB James Wilder Jr. were released Saturday, Aug. 30.

We could have a really nice practice squad this year if all of these guys clear waivers.
Still, Moch, Hamilton, Wilder, Montgomery, maybe even Robinson.
I'm picturing that old guy from the baseball game in dazed and confused right now, "looking tough" or whatever it is he says to Pink.

Sad to see what a waste the picks used in 2012 on Still (2nd round) and Charles (4th round) turned out to be. Goes to show how the draft process is truly an inexact science. Later round picks like Jones and Iloka have developed nicely and the best player we acquired that year was undrafted. Overall the class has been strong, but those were a couple big misses.

The only mild surprises in the final cuts for me were Robinson, Still, and Manning. I also didn't think they would keep 7 linebackers and only 9 defensive backs. It sounds like TJ Johnson and Bilukidi just simply outplayed Robinson and Still, respectively. I could definitely see a move or two being made to shore up the o-line and secondary depth so I don't think Sean Porter should feel too comfortable yet.

Here it is laid out easier.

I am most surprised at the Manning cut. Williams and Mays are not great cover safeties if any of he to guys go down. We need a guy like that. Still, Robinson and Svitek were somewhat surprising as well with where they were drafted, their previous experience and the injury to Andre Smith respectively.

QB Dalton 2020 Campbell 2014
RB Bernard 2016 Hill 2017 Peerman 2014 Burkhead 2016
FB
HB Hewitt UFA
WR Green 2015 Sanzenbacher 2014
WR Sanu 2015 Wright 2017
WR Jones 2015 Tate 2014
TE Eifert 2017 Gresham 2014 Smith 2014
LT Whitworth 2015 Newhouse 2014
LG Boling 2014 Hawkinson 2016
C Bodine 2017 Pollack 2016
RG Zeitler 2015 Johnson 2014
RT Smith 2015

K Nugent 2014
P Huber 2017
LS Harris 2017

LE Dunlap 2018 Hunt 2016
LT Peko 2016 Thompson 2015
RT Atkins 2018 Bilukidi 2015
RE Gilberry 2015 Geathers 2015 Clarke 2017
SLB Lamur 2014 Dimanche 2015
MLB Maualuga 2014 Rey 2015
WLB Burfict 2017 Porter 2016 Flowers 2017
S IIoka 2015 Williams 2016
S Nelson 2015 Mays 2014
CB Hall 2015 Kirkpatrick 2015 Dennard 2017
CB Newman 2014 Jones 2015

Sad to see what a waste the picks used in 2012 on Still (2nd round) and Charles (4th round) turned out to be. Goes to show how the draft process is truly an inexact science. Later round picks like Jones and Iloka have developed nicely and the best player we acquired that year was undrafted. Overall the class has been strong, but those were a couple big misses.

The only mild surprises in the final cuts for me were Robinson, Still, and Manning. I also didn't think they would keep 7 linebackers and only 9 defensive backs. It sounds like TJ Johnson and Bilukidi just simply outplayed Robinson ans Still, respectively. I could definitely see a move or two being made to shore up the o-line and secondary depth so I don't think Sean Porter should feel too comfortable yet.

I'm on board with all of that here. I hope they stop drafting positions where we have good depth already as well and start going at needs.

I'm on board with all of that here. I hope they stop drafting positions where we have good depth already as well and start going at needs.

But they have put themselves in a position where there aren't a lot of needs. They just take the best player available. Sometimes guys just don't work out. Other times you get two 2012 UDFAs like Burfict and Lamur to become full-time starters. Pretty sure Still was Zimmer's guy, and he might not have gotten cut if Z were still around

Drafting BPA is how we got so much depth.  You're always going to have picks that don't work out.  Drafting for need is how you end up like we did in the 90s.  No thanks.

But they have put themselves in a position where there aren't a lot of needs. They just take the best player available. Sometimes guys just don't work out. Other times you get two 2012 UDFAs like Burfict and Lamur to become full-time starters. Pretty sure Still was Zimmer's guy, and he might not have gotten cut if Z were still around

We have needs. We have next to no depth at Tackle, we have poor depth at LB and safety.

Drafting guys like Still, and even Eifert and Hill, while I like them as players, you had starters at both spots and needed depth elsewhere.

We have needs. We have next to no depth at Tackle, we have poor depth at LB and safety.

Drafting guys like Still, and even Eifert and Hill, while I like them as players, you had starters at both spots and needed depth elsewhere.

I'd say Eifert and Hill were upgrades over the starters we had.  That's why they aren't here.  Tough luck with Still, and maybe he will land on the practice squad and the light will go on.  Who knows. 

So you just bring in the warmest body you can find for a need position? Even if that player doesn't grade very high overall? I think that's what bad teams do on draft day. The Bengals are no longer a bad team.

Seriously, let peerman or burkhead go and sign wilder instead.

Wilder will be right there on the practice squad waiting in case one of those guys get hurt. Even if Wilder was on the 53 man roster, he wouldn't be on the 46 man active roster on game days. So he would have no more real value than he will from the practice squad, where he surely will end up. You cut Peerman for Wilder, then you don't have a 5th guy to put on your practice squad in case another RB goes down.

Still and Thompson both filled vital depth spots on a team that rotates d-linemen in and out constantly. They replaced players that just weren't delivering, and so to say Still was taken as a BPA pick just isn't true. I guarantee he was not the top player on their draft board, but they thought he was good enough to warrant filling a position of need at that point. They were wrong, and they might have missed on a better player that would be contributing somewhere on the team because of it.

Seriously, let peerman or burkhead go and sign wilder instead.

Wilder had a chance to make this team but he was out performed by the others and deemed less valuable to the team's goal of winning football games. Why would you want the team to get worse right before the start of the season?

Still and Thompson both filled vital depth spots on a team that rotates d-linemen in and out constantly. They replaced players that just weren't delivering, and so to say Still was taken as a BPA pick just isn't true. I guarantee he was not the top player on their draft board, but they thought he was good enough to warrant filling a position of need at that point. They were wrong, and they might have missed on a better player that would be contributing somewhere on the team because of it.

It was stated often that he was the best player on their board.

So you just bring in the warmest body you can find for a need position? Even if that player doesn't grade very high overall? I think that's what bad teams do on draft day. The Bengals are no longer a bad team.

Nope. You have 3-4 positions of need and you take the next BPA at those positions. You project out future contracts and how much FA's may cost at certain positions v others and you prepare your self for the next few years at a position.

That's my opinion anyway. Just an opinion. Let's not rabbit hole this thread.

Wilder had a chance to make this team but he was out performed by the others and deemed less valuable to the team's goal of winning football games. Why would you want the team to get worse right before the start of the season?

Who was he outperformed by exactly? And how much playing time did he get in pre season?

not sure about this. Still was replacing Pat Sims who did well here. Plus Still was big ten D player of the year and dominated at Penn state. Pretty sure he was high on most boards

Archived