Go-Bengals Prediction Thread: Bengals vs Titans

3001630_SP_Bengals_2.png  VS   3001977.png

Date: 9-21-2014

Opponent: Titans

Go-Bengals Consensus: Bengals Win

Week 3 in the 'Nati: BigDawg Bengal

The Cincinnati Bengals will have a chance to go 3-0 for the first time since 2006 against the Tennessee Titans (1-1) on Sunday. The Bengals have only started 3-0 three times since the 1988 season. 

The Titans are coming off a poor performance in Week 2 against the Dallas Cowboys. They gave up 220 yards on the ground and failed to score a point in the first half in a 26-10 loss. 

One bright spot from the Week 2 loss was the Titans' tight end Delanie Walker. Walker recorded a career-high 142 receiving yards and tied a career-high with 10 receptions. 

After the first two weeks of the season, only four teams have given up more sacks than the Titans. Titans' quarterback Jake Locker has been sacked 6 times and is only completing 59 percent of his passes. 

The Titans no longer feature Chris Johnson in the backfield and now split the carries between Shonn Greene, Dexter McCluster and second-round pick Bishop Sankey. The Titans have the 15th-ranked rushing attack after two weeks. 

After switching to a 3-4 defense in the offseason, the Titans biggest strength this year has been their pass defense. They are only giving up an average of 163 yards a game through the air and have recorded the second most sacks in the NFL. 

The Titans run defense has been inconsistent. They held Jamaal Charles to only 2.7 yards a carry in Week 1 but allowed DeMarco Murray to average 5.7 yards a carry in Week 2.

The Titans did suffer a big blow this week when they had to place their starting inside linebacker Zach Brown on injured reserve. Brown stared 27 games for the Titans in his first two years and racked up 184 tackles, 9.5 sacks and four interceptions. 

The Bengals and Titans last played in 2011. The Bengals scored 17 points in second half to come from behind and win 24-17 at LP Field.

The Titans last played in Cincinnati in 2008 and won 24-7. Carson Palmer threw two interceptions and the Titans defense held the Bengals to only 215 yards of total offense. 

The last time the Bengals beat the Titans in Cincinnati was 2007. Chad Johnson had three touchdown receptions and both Rudi Johnson and Kenny Watson rushed for a touchdown in the 35-6 win. 

The Titans lead the regular-season series 39-32-1. Andy Dalton is 1-0 in his career against the Titans and Jake Locker has never faced the Bengals but is 1-0 against the AFC North.

52 Go-Bengals Members posted in this weeks poll.

59% Believed that the Bengals would win by 7-13 points
19% Believed that the Bengals would win by 2tds or more
9% Believed that the Bengals would win by 1-6 points
7% Believed that the Titans would win by 1-6 points
4% Believed that the Titans would win by 2tds or more
0% Believed that the Titans would win by 7-13 points

Numbers take on the game:

1.. Score : Titans 30 Bengals 27
2. MVP: Titans DE Jurrell Casey
3. Key Matchups when Bengals have the ball: Casey vs. Whitworth. Casey had two sacks of Romo last week and Dalton does not go untouched this week. The other matchup might just be Gooden vs Gio. The Titans will be prepared to stop the run after reviewing tape of the Bengals Falcons game.
4. Key Matchups when Titans have the ball: Wright vs Hall. Should be a problem for Titans to pass with the communication issues experienced in PBS. IF the Titans get Wright on track the Titans will not be stopped.
5. Notables: The Titans lead the series 39-32-1. For whatever reason, the Bengals are not very good at home against the Titans.

Special notes: Numbers never dies. I can only be killed once a season. Someone else organize the firing party, I will not be requiring a blindfold this time.

Weston's take on the game:

1. Score : Bengals 27 Titans 6
2. MVP: CB/PR Pac Man Jones
3. Key Matchups when Bengals have the ball: The Smash Brothers. The Bengals will pound the ball and the Titans won’t be able to stop them. Honestly I wish Wilder or Burkhead were active to pound the ball the last few quarters.
4. Key Matchups when Titans have the ball: Jake Locker vs the D. I predict that we make things very difficult for him. Pac Man reaches the end zone somehow.
5. Notables: Zach Brown is out and Zaviar Gooden is in. I really want to know how to say Zaviar.

[url=http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/articles/go-bengals-prediction-thread-bengals-vs-titans-r27]View the full article[/url]

I disagree. AJ back with a huge game. Tennessee will not be close.

To play devil's advocate effectively here....

You really think AJ is 100 percent ?  I am not convinced.  He was listed ok for the Falcons game and look at the participation level of Green.  Granted, we won the game without him but I am not so sure this week we can.

Note:  I am not including the myriad of other players who are potentially out, doubtful, questionable, or just plain not at 100 percent.  Ie... Whitworth, Burfict, etc...  A lot of key players not playing or not at 100 percent is the reason I chose otherwise this game.

So, there...  I am still right...  :265:

Archived