Andy Dalton on first touchdown catch

September, 21, 2014
Sep 21
5:30
PM ET

CINCINNATI -- Observed and heard in the locker room after the Cincinnati Bengals' 33-7 win over the Tennessee Titans:

Dalton's TD catch his first: When reporters were allowed in the Bengals' locker room following Sunday's win, they flocked to receiver Mohamed Sanu's locker. The third-year wideout who tossed an 18-yard touchdown pass to quarterback Andy Dalton early in the game, occupies the locker next to Dalton's. As Sanu offered his insights on the play, I chatted with Dalton who told me it was the first touchdown catch he's had at any stage of his football-playing career. He added that he wasn't sure what happened with cornerback Blidi Wreh-Wilson who had a chance to blow out the catch or intercept it for an easy pick-six.

Iloka's half-pick lobby: There is no such thing as a half-interception in football, but safety George Iloka wouldn't mind creating one. He joked with me after the game that he's going to lobby someone for crediting him with half an interception after contributing to Robert Geathers' second-quarter pick. On the play, Titans quarterback Jake Locker was trying to complete a pass to Delanie Walker when Iloka delivered a hard hit on Walker as soon as he touched the ball and turned around. The hit was so hard the ball violently bounced several yards into the air where Geathers grabbed it.

Shutout bid denied: The Bengals came within six minutes of their first shutout in seven seasons, and their first home shutout in 33 years. The shutout bid was denied when Shonn Greene scored on a drive aided by Bengals penaltie. Defensive end Wallace Gilberry said he and his teammates wanted the shutout. "We tried to pull it off, but it is what it is," he said. "At the same time, those guys are being paid, too. That's not a bad team we just played. They're going to beat a lot of people this year."

Staying humble: With the Week 5 game at New England on the horizon after next week's bye, coach Marvin Lewis isn't worried about keeping his team humble after the 3-0 start. Here's what linebacker Vincent Rey said when I asked him about that: "We're hunting excellence. We really want to be perfect in everything we want to do."

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals

Archived