Bengals OC Hue Jackson shoulders blame after shutout

Bengals OC Hue Jackson shoulders blame after shutout
October, 20, 2014
Oct 20
6:15
PM ET
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

CINCINNATI -- After every game -- win, loss or tie -- Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson takes a couple moments to reflect on what went wrong, and how he contributed to it.

It's safe to say he needed more than a few moments of reflection Sunday night following the Bengals' 27-0 loss at Indianapolis.

Just like Jackson said to reporters from his Paul Brown Stadium office Monday afternoon, there wasn't a single phase of the Bengals' offensive game plan that went well in the defeat. In his words, the Colts flat-out beat the Bengals in "every facet" of the game.

While the entire team played a role in the stunning blowout defeat, the bulk of the Bengals' issues fell at the feet of an offense that went three-and-out on each of its first eight possessions. For that reason, Jackson was compelled to shoulder his share of the blame for the surprising loss.

"When I look back at me, I don't think I did a good enough job to put our guys in the best position to have success," Jackson said. "It starts with me."

The Bengals' offense didn't possess the ball for long on drives for the defense to regroup on the sideline before getting sent back out to face the league's top-ranked offense. In turn, you saw a beleaguered defense that got increasingly gassed as the game continued.

By the end of it, the Colts had the ball for nearly 40 minutes. The Bengals barely touched it for 20.

"Our job is to protect [the defense] and their job is to protect us and we both try to protect special teams," Jackson said. "We didn't do our part and we understand that."

Whenever Jackson was asked about specific players or struggles in the loss, he quickly pointed out he didn't get that player or that facet of the offense ready enough for the ballgame.

He wasn't the only one dispensing blame on himself for the inadequacies. Veteran offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth acknowledged the role the team's leaders have had in not only Sunday's performance, but others the last three weeks.

"The leadership of this team, we'll eat it. Give it to us," Whitworth said. "We'll find a way to get this team back on the right track."

When it comes to the offense specifically, Jackson said he didn't believe these problems will linger.

"These guys, they'll rise up. They'll be ready to play," Jackson said. "If this was the common theme all the time I would really be concerned. But I don't think this is going to be the common theme all the time. It happened. We'll address it. And I think our guys will respond. I really do. I don't anticipate this being who we are by no stretch."

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/12429/bengals-hue-jackson-shutout-blame-shoulders-loss

see that's what real coaches do they take the blame and realize it was their fault,not the lame bullshit Marvin Lewis spews every time after a loss

Actaully, real o coordinators  don't  get shutout in the NFL,especially if they have quit a few veterans on the team and an experienced QB.  Taking the blame does nothing to address the issue that was their horrific play on Sunday and worse, almost not attempt to fix it during the game.

Archived