Seattle Seahawks Rumors: Jermaine Gresham a Trade Target?

Seattle Seahawks Rumors: Jermaine Gresham a Trade Target?

By RantSports Staff

on October 23, 2014

Jermaine-Gresham.jpg

Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports

Over the last couple of weeks, the Seattle Seahawks have been trying desperately to find themselves a new starting tight end. They made a run at Julius Thomas and Jordan Cameron last week, and could turn their attention to Cincinnati BengalsJermaine Gresham, who is currently on the trade block.

It’s no secret that the Seahawks need help at tight end. Even with the emergence of Cooper Helfet as a reliable receiving option, the absence of Zach Miller and slow development of Luke Willson has left Seattle shorthanded at the position.

By adding Gresham to the mix, the Seahawks would be providing quarterback Russell Wilson with a big, reliable target to throw to. Although the former first-round pick never quite lived up to his draft stock, he brings a big frame, good hands and above average athleticism at a position of dire need.

Gresham has been confirmed to be on the trade block due to the offensive firepower of fellow tight end Tyler Eifert. Although the sophomore is currently on the PUP list and set to return soon, he’s proven to be an explosive receiver who can be relied up moving forward. With Ryan Hewitt emerging as an outstanding blocker, there won’t be many snaps left for Gresham once Eifert returns to the lineup.

Especially with Gresham being on the final year of his rookie contract and unlikely to re-sign, the Bengals are hoping to get something in return for him while they can. It’s unclear what the Seahawks would have to give up to get him, but it’s safe to assume it wouldn’t be too much in order to bolster a significant area of need.

We’ll see if anything comes to fruition before the 2014 NFL trade deadline arrives on Tuesday, October 28.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/10/23/seattle-seahawks-rumors-jermaine-gresham-a-trade-target/

First, they ended the sentence with a preposition. 

Second:

By adding Gresham to the mix, the Seahawks would be providing quarterback Russell Wilson with a big, reliable target to throw to.

:24:  :24:  :24:  :24:  :24:  :24:  :24:  :24:  :24:

It will be for a conditional 5th round pick would my guess. It would be absolutely stupid to trade. Honestly, he's a good te, him and Dalton just have never seemed to work well together. I really think hes an amazing the, he just isnt being used right. I'll seriously never understand why he isnt being line up at wr...wtf corner back is going to cover him?

Greshman is a big natural skill guy.    He just isn't consistent and I wouldn't call him reliable.      

I have not seen any reports of Eifert taking to the practice field despite being eligible this week.    AJ Green doesn't practice.   Gresh is a key blocker as well and has a decent snap count.

If that trade happend by October 28th and it was only for a draft pick, it's the equivalent of giving up a season unless something significantly changes with Eifert and Green by the 28th.

You'd have to get something  in the form of a player  that could contribute in an area that could improve the team this season.

He stays healthy so he's got that going for him. I'm cool with keeping him for cheap. Don't have anything proven behind him at least

He won't be that cheap come FA.  Two time pro bowler,  good blocker, decent TE.  He will have a nice (not huge) payday somewhere else.

Let him walk then. 

Sure, let the only good tight end the club has had in 10 years walk because he dropped a few passes.  Our previous Tight Ends rarely made mistakes because all they did was block.   I mean we could get another 20 reception a year stud like Reggie Kelly.  Jesus, we finally get someone to replace Tony McGee 10 years after he was any good and your opinion is  "Let him walk then"  

Oh, I forgot, Tyler Eifert is going to be a stud because he had one great reception in 2013.  Superstar. 

Its amazing he quickly everyone forgets how HORRIBLE our tight ends have been  the last 10 years before Gresh showed up.

Sure, let the only good tight end the club has had in 10 years walk because he dropped a few passes.  Our previous Tight Ends rarely made mistakes because all they did was block.   I mean we could get another 20 reception a year stud like Reggie Kelly.  Jesus, we finally get someone to replace Tony McGee 10 years after he was any good and your opinion is  "Let him walk then"  

Oh, I forgot, Tyler Eifert is going to be a stud because he had one great reception in 2013.  Superstar. 

Its amazing he quickly everyone forgets how HORRIBLE our tight ends have been  the last 10 years before Gresh showed up.

I don't think we can reasonably define how horrible they were because they weren't used for anything other than blocking.  Gresham has had a ton of opportunities to step up and while he's had some good moments, he's just as many if not more bad ones.  If he's relatively cheap then yea we keep him and try to draft someone in the mid to late rounds to push him.  If he wants market money, see ya.

Eifert can beat most if not all LB's and a good portion of the S's out there one on one.  If we had him last week, I really think they wouldn't have been able to keep throwing 8 in the box and I would bet large sums of money they would have had some success down the field and on 3rd down there would have been a chance.  They obviously don't trust Gresham to even try going deep. 

I've given him the benefit of the doubt for his whole time as a Bengal and he has the potential to be a weapon, but how many more penalties, half assed blocks and drops do you excuse?  If you can't trust him to make big plays in the passing game, then he is essentially a 2nd or 3rd TE and no team can pay a 2nd or 3rd TE starting money. 

Jermaine-Gresham.jpg

Bengals announce they're drastically reducing Jermain Gresham's sugar intake.

Will no longer allow him to sugary breakfast cereals before games.

Also on forbidden list, Gresham will no longer be allowed to motivate himself before games by watching an endless loop of G.I.Joe: The Rise of Cobra

Eifert can beat most if not all LB's and a good portion of the S's out there one on one. If we had him last week, I really think they wouldn't have been able to keep throwing 8 in the box and I would bet large sums of money they would have had some success down the field and on 3rd down there would have been a chance. They obviously don't trust Gresham to even try going deep.

The thing about the Colts game is they never attempted to run routes/formations that would challenge their Safeties/LBs to run in coverage with Gresh and Gio.

Now, I just watched First half (not going to watch nightmare 2nd half) but Gio and Gresh ran the same stuff.   It was either pass protect and release turn and look or  run a quick out route turn and look.    All the time there was a defender just waiting behing them.

They never forced the issue going up field on routes.    It wasn't a protection issue either.    There 8 men in the box was never challenged man to man, they were allowed to sit and let the action unfold in front of them with Gio and Gresh.   Somtimes Sanu.    They basically just sat on the underneath stuff.

Andy Dalton RARELY ever throws passes downfield between the hash marks which is where our first round TEs should be thriving.  Whether that is a weakness of Andy or our OCs simply refuse to run that play...I don't know.  

However, I can tell you with certainty that Tyler Eifert will not be much more effective than Gresh if all they plan to do is continue the 4 yard sit down routes in the middle of the field or the sideline out patterns that pick up 4 or 5 yards.   I have seen most of Eifert's and Gresh's catches over the years and I can only remember a handful of passes to either while they were running even somewhat close to North and South. 

We didn't need to spend another first round pick on a TE to only use him as a short yardage possession receiver.  Plenty of those available in the later rounds.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=1936&year_max=2013&type=&round_min=1&round_max=30&slot_min=1&slot_max=500&league_id=&team_id=&pos=TE&college_id=all&conference=any&show=all

Andy Dalton RARELY ever throws passes downfield between the hash marks which is where our first round TEs should be thriving.  Whether that is a weakness of Andy or our OCs simply refuse to run that play...I don't know.  

However, I can tell you with certainty that Tyler Eifert will not be much more effective than Gresh if all they plan to do is continue the 4 yard sit down routes in the middle of the field or the sideline out patterns that pick up 4 or 5 yards.   I have seen most of Eifert's and Gresh's catches over the years and I can only remember a handful of passes to either while they were running even somewhat close to North and South. 

We didn't need to spend another first round pick on a TE to only use him as a short yardage possession receiver.  Plenty of those available in the later rounds.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=1936&year_max=2013&type=&round_min=1&round_max=30&slot_min=1&slot_max=500&league_id=&team_id=&pos=TE&college_id=all&conference=any&show=all

We've seen Eifert play in Hue's system part of one game.  We know for sure that during camp and the pre-season that he was being used quite a bit and very succesfully.  If he's in the game at the same time as Gresham, they HAVE to put a CB on him and risk that smaller guys on the field means a better run game.

The thing about the Colts game is they never attempted to run routes/formations that would challenge their Safeties/LBs to run in coverage with Gresh and Gio.

Now, I just watched First half (not going to watch nightmare 2nd half) but Gio and Gresh ran the same stuff.   It was either pass protect and release turn and look or  run a quick out route turn and look.    All the time there was a defender just waiting behing them.

They never forced the issue going up field on routes.    It wasn't a protection issue either.    There 8 men in the box was never challenged man to man, they were allowed to sit and let the action unfold in front of them with Gio and Gresh.   Somtimes Sanu.    They basically just sat on the underneath stuff.

Is that Hue's system or is that a combination of emphasizing no turnovers by Dalton and not trusting Gresham?  

I'd also be curious to see if you watched Andre at all because he looked like he was favoring one of his legs to me, particularly in side-steps.  Maybe they kept everything close to the line to hide a liability?

We've seen Eifert play in Hue's system part of one game.  We know for sure that during camp and the pre-season that he was being used quite a bit and very succesfully.  If he's in the game at the same time as Gresham, they HAVE to put a CB on him and risk that smaller guys on the field means a better run game.

Hue's system doesn't look ANY DIFFERENT than Gruden's system to me. Maybe a few more screen passes.  

We know for sure?  Nonsense.  Yeah, that 1 reception for 3 yards in the preseason by Eifert was  awesome. Used the hell out of him. During camp?  Do they keep score in camp?

Is that Hue's system or is that a combination of emphasizing no turnovers by Dalton and not trusting Gresham?  

I'd also be curious to see if you watched Andre at all because he looked like he was favoring one of his legs to me, particularly in side-steps.  Maybe they kept everything close to the line to hide a liability?

Andre did struggle.    I didn't notice a limp but might go back and look for one.    He did miss some second level blocks that would have been better results but judging by his reaction afterward I chalked it up to missed assignment.

Gave up some bad pass rushes as well. 

Archived