Fashion police: Ranking NFL uniforms, 32 to 1

Fashion police: Ranking NFL uniforms, 32 to 1

Number 25 of 32:

Cincinnati Bengals
In 1981, the Bengals switched from a blandness rivaled by only the Browns to more or less the same tiger-striped look they have today. What about finding a happy medium between bland and brash? The lack of a standard helmet logo is as bothersome today as it was when Ken Anderson ran out of the tunnel with it.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/fashion-police-ranking-nfl-uniforms-32-to-1/ss-BBaf0Sl#image=8

"...lack of a standard helmet logo..." ????

Do they knock Seattle's helmets because the Seahawk image wraps around the back? Or the Pittsburgh helmet because the decal is only on one side?

Edit: they actually mention the stealer logo on only one side as a positive...so I guess having a non-standard logo pattern cam be good or bad. :shrug:

My thoughts...their rankings....Joan Rivers style. (I couldn't stand her.)

From last to first.

Browns - Team logo is a paint sample from Home Depot.

Jags - A decade from now we'll look back and say here's where it all went wrong. From teal to unreal. People living in Jacksonville should tip over their mobile homes in protest.

Bucs - See above. Alarm clock fonts and lame logo made bigger just because. Would have been better to fix Buccaneer Bruce rather than replacing him. Gays can marry now.

Seahawks - They were worst first and could be called the Lady Gaga of the NFL. But I do like their ring.

Titans -  Team name conjurs up dramatic images but team ignores all of them in favor of a graphic flaming letter T.

Rams - I love helmets whose design is both simple and covers the entire helmet. Rams, Eagles, Bengals all examples of animal related theme played to perfection.

Dolphins - Old logo looked stiff and clunky. New logo looks like it should be on the front gate of the Golden Gardens Retirement Villas.

Bengals - Less would be better.  A lot less might be better still.

Bills - Newer logo is modern looking with retro touches. Less stiff than old uncharging cow-like logo. Newer dynamic looking charging buffalo still reminds of past tradion. It practically screams... "Run OJ, run!"

Panthers - Stupid colors. Stupid logo looks like a decal. Doesn't attempt to cover entire helmet as other animal related helmet designs, probably because Michigan Panthers did it better decades ago. 

Packers - Classic design always warms my heart and never fails to remind me that nothing runs like a deer.

Texans - Most teams from Texas manage to have great helmet designs, with the old Oilers design being the exception that proves the rule.

Falcons - A black logo on a black background doesn't look tough. It looks like poor planning.  

Vikings - Love the horn that fills the entire helmet. Hate the new blueberry purple color.

Patriots - Pats replaced football playing Pete Patriot with Flying Elvis design that looks like an advertisement for postage stamp sales.

Ravens - If you locked 10 untrained people in a room and forced them to design a Raven related logo all ten of them would produce this design.

Cards - Probably the single most terrifying looking logo of any sports team. Looks ready to jump right off the helmet and eat a seed.

Eagles - Classic full helmet design.

Chiefs - Like the Redskins but without the sizzle and racist trappings.

Bears - The helmet screams Chicago, not bears, which is perfect for fans who think so highly of themselves.

Broncos - Kinda funny how if you changed the name of the team to the Ford Mustangs you wouldn't have to change a thing.

Colts - When I was a lad in short pants I wore my hair in the style of Unitas. Might be the best uniforms in the NFL.

Jets - Just because they're so much better than the ones they used to wear doesn't mean they don't suck.

Giants - If it were up to me their logo would be a silhouette of a beaten and bloodied Y.A. Tittle.

Cowboys - It's hard to make fun of the star when doing so hurts the feelings of so many pajama-clad children.

Raiders - How good is this logo? Even the Raiders haven't managed to ruin the brand yet.

Stealers - Ask an average Steeler fan to explain the Stealers logo and in return you'll get a stare as blank as the other side of their helmet.

Saints - Classic and uncluttered.

Redskins - The logo and helmet design are fine so why is this so hard? Rebrand, refresh, and renew means new revenue streams. Toss out the team stationary and repaint the endzone and get some new shirts and sweaters to sell in the gift shop.

Lions - The only thing Detroit has going for it is Honolulu blue and silver.

Chargers - Beloved helmets always reminded me of a cheap knockoff version of Reddy Kilowatt ads from my youth.

49'ers - If your current helmets still remind the viewer of John Brodie how good can they be? 

There is always a semi-annual article on uniforms. Followed by the predictable "I like ours/I hate ours/I wish they would look like Oregon's". Followed by the Artists' Conception of what they could look like. Followed by the photo of PB in 1967 with the office full of helmets.

Set your watch by it.  

There is always a semi-annual article on uniforms. Followed by the predictable "I like ours/I hate ours/I wish they would look like Oregon's". Followed by the Artists' Conception of what they could look like. Followed by the photo of PB in 1967 with the office full of helmets.

Set your watch by it.  

Don't forget the reversed orange-on-black helmet.

I would like that list if it were reversed. 

Some people like plain colors and very simple logos.....

Also, in my experience a lot of kids I know and work with have said the Bengals uni's are cool, awesome, I've had 4 or 5 different people, different ages, that when we were talking about football or playing madden were like "Ayo the Bengals got the sickest (best or "dope") uniforms in the league." etc.... 

Archived