Dre Kirkpatrick makes the most of starting opportunity with Cincinnati Bengals

Dre Kirkpatrick makes the most of starting opportunity with Cincinnati Bengals
dre-kirkpatrick-6ff00825cb94db7b.jpg
Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick (27) celebrates after intercepting a pass against the Cleveland Browns in the second quarter of an NFL game on Sunday, Dec. 14, 2014, in Cleveland. (AP Photo)

5697.png By Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on December 20, 2014 at 9:22 AM, updated December 20, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Cincinnati cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick is likely to be back in a backup role when the Bengals host the Denver Broncos on Monday night. The former Alabama standout has been battling an Achilles tendon problem, and Terence Newman and Adam Jones seem to be over injuries that sidelined the former and limited the latter on Sunday.

The injuries opened the way for Kirkpatrick to make his first start of the season, and the former Gadsden City High School star made it one to remember, becoming the first NFL player to intercept Johnny Manziel.

"I knew it was a (bootleg)," Kirkpatrick said. "They pretty much were running boot out of the tight split, so I just kind of slow-played it. I knew he probably wouldn't have seen me because most of the time we were just letting the safeties take it, and I didn't call the safety to take me off. I made a break on the ball."

After the Bengals blanked the Cleveland Browns 30-0 to spoil the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner's first NFL start, Kirkpatrick took it easier on Manziel in interviews than he did during the game.

"He's going to be a great player," Kirkpatrick said in the locker room after the game. "I hope he goes back and watches the film and his progressions and learns from it."

A noted gunner on the Bengals' punt team, Kirkpatrick played all but four of Cincinnati's defensive snaps on Sunday. In the first 13 games on the season, he'd been on the field with the Bengals' defense for 128 plays.

-f7a638284834b769.gif

The 17th player picked in the 2012 NFL Draft, Kirkpatrick made his fourth career start on Sunday. Cincinnati took another cornerback, Darqueze Dennard of Michigan State, in the first round of the draft in May. Dennard has played 58 defensive snaps in his rookie season.

Kirkpatrick and Dennard are playing behind 12-year veteran Newman and eight-year veterans Jones and Leon Hall.

"It's not like we're going against guys our age that's playing in front of us," Kirkpatrick told the Cincinnati Enquirer. "Those guys have earned their keep. Those guys are great. We just have to be patient and continue to learn the small details that those guys give us. It paid off in an interception (Sunday)."

Cincinnati has been to the playoffs every season of Kirkpatrick's career. The Bengals will be back in the postseason if they beat the Broncos. A win also would wrap up the AFC North title for Cincinnati if the Pittsburgh Stealers and Baltimore Ravens lose, too.

The Broncos and Bengals kick off at 7:30 p.m. CST Monday on ESPN.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/12/dre_kirkpatrick_makes_the_most.html

The exciting thing is that barring injury we have the CB position squared away for a while. That is one less position we have to upgrade in the draft allowing us to focus on upgrading other areas.

Walter Football has us drafting another CB in 1.  :lol:

Archived