Pittsburgh Stealers Need Not Fear the Cincinnati Bengals, But They Must Respect Them

Pittsburgh Steelers Need Not Fear the Cincinnati Bengals, But They Must Respect Them

In many ways, the Cincinnati Bengals’ dismantling of the Denver Broncos last Monday just might be the best thing to happen to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

In the lead up to their winner-take-all showdown this week, the main storyline was expected to be the Bengals’ continuing failures in prime time. Well that narrative went out the window courtesy of a killer defensive game plan executed to perfection, a two-headed rushing attack capable of racking up yards on anyone and a maligned quarterback who simply did his job.

Now, as the jungle cats prepare to stalk into the unfriendly confines of Heinz Field, their divisional big brother must heed a timeless warning: the Bengals shouldn’t be feared, but they must be respected. Too many times this season, the Steelers have started games against lesser opponents with a lax attitude. Punctuated by boneheaded turnovers, awful secondary play and disastrous breakdowns on special teams, Pittsburgh lost games they should’ve handily won on paper. That’s part of the reason they’re in this precarious position in the first place.

Obviously, teams like the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and New York Jets are not made from the same fiber as the Bengals, but often it’s the team mentality that plays a larger role. Had Cincy put forth another performance akin to flaming garbage under the bright lights in Week 16, many Steelers may have mentally prepared for a match with the “Pussycats” or “Bungles.” Instead, Cincinnati showed that – at least on that night – they were capable of throwing down with the big bullies of the AFC, and that suits the Steelers just fine.

So the respect is there, but what does it mean to not fear them? In short, the Steelers could learn from the Bengals’ defense last week. Knowing full well the threat of Peyton Manning’s outside targets, the front seven chose to bring continuous pressure while keeping faith in their secondary. On offense, persistence was the order of the day, and it was rewarded with some barnstorming runs that ultimately sealed the win.

The Steelers need to just play their game, and do so at an elevated level. Succeed, and a first-round home game awaits. Fail, and you are Andrew Luck’s reluctant guest in the house that Peyton built.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/12/26/pittsburgh-steelers-need-not-fear-the-cincinnati-bengals-but-they-must-respect-them/

I have absolutely no respect for the Stealers but I fear the trademark cheap shots.

What a bunch of f'ing bitches across the board.

I keep waiting for the game where we go out and stomp them into the turf.  I want to see their guys limping for the sidelines. End some careers, fuck 'em. That's when this team will have turned the corner in my mind.  We owe these bitches and that bill is long long overdue.

I keep waiting for the game where we go out and stomp them into the turf.  I want to see their guys limping for the sidelines. End some careers, fuck 'em. That's when this team will have turned the corner in my mind.  We owe these bitches and that bill is long long overdue.

The stealers have been one of the healthiest teams in the league this year so they are due for a couple of season-ending injuries. 

An  ACL for Bell and a torn achilles for big Jen would be nice...even better if they both occurred in the first quarter.  Then we could listen to Collinsworth cry the rest of the game.

The stealers have been one of the healthiest teams in the league this year so they are due for a couple of season-ending injuries. 

An  ACL for Bell and a torn achilles for big Jen would be nice...even better if they both occurred in the first quarter.  Then we could listen to Collinsworth cry the rest of the game.

I mean, generally speaking I am completely against this sort of bush league crap. It's what makes the Stealers the STILLERS after all.  In their case, though, like I said.. We owe them.

I would just love for the Bengals to come out and be the most physical team on the field... Knock some fucking heads off.. 

A 15 yarder or two wouldn't even bother me early in the game...  #ImissTaze

I mean, generally speaking I am completely against this sort of bush league crap. It's what makes the Stealers the STILLERS after all.  In their case, though, like I said.. We owe them.

I figure King Roger will try to take care of his homies...the Rooney's....so you know the Bengals will get some cheap ass penalties throwed at them.

I say lets make it worth it.   I would have a designated Bengal hit Brad Wing the first couple times he punts.

Yeah. Fuck sportsmanship. After the past decade of playing these cheating cheap shorting fuckers, I more or lees wouldn't give a shit if some of their dude's got like really really hurt. Not like I'm rooting for it. But I'd probbbbbably cheer if Ben tore his ACL

Yeah. Fuck sportsmanship. After the past decade of playing these cheating cheap shorting fuckers, I more or lees wouldn't give a shit if some of their dude's got like really really hurt. Not like I'm rooting for it. But I'd probbbbbably cheer if Ben tore his ACL

I'd cheer, if Dunlap ripped Big Ben's head off and stomped on it!

I figure King Roger will try to take care of his homies...the Rooney's....so you know the Bengals will get some cheap ass penalties throwed at them.

I say lets make it worth it.   I would have a designated Bengal hit Brad Wing the first couple times he punts.

Yeah with Hochuli calling the game I expect the "confirmation bias" (cough) to be in full effect.

Fuck it, I'll root for that.  Rip his empty 98% recycled plastic head off and kick it through the fuckin' uprights. 

Archived