Patriots investigated for AFC Championship win

Cat

Ugh.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2334592-patriots-reportedly-investigated-by-nfl-for-using-deflated-footballs-vs-colts?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Shortly after their 45-7 win over the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC Championship Game on Sunday, the New England Patriots are reportedly set to be investigated by the NFL for the use of deflated footballs.

WTHR TV's Bob Kravitz first reported the details, which NFL spokesman Michael Signora later confirmed, per Newsday's Bob Glauber. Kravitz also noted the Patriots are at risk of losing draft picks if they are found guilty of the accusations, while Football Zebras revealed potential monetary punishment:

Michael Wilbon said if the Patriots are proven to have done within the next few days, the result should be thrown out and Indy goes to Phoenix. 

I agree with that - but they have already determined the punishment will be fines and loss of draft picks.

My money says there will be 'no wrongdoing found'.

I agree with that - but they have already determined the punishment will be fines and loss of draft picks.

My money says there will be 'no wrongdoing found'.

Which to that team doesn't mean squat since they are in the playoffs year in and year out. 

First of all, the Patriots didn't know they were going to win by all those points, or run for three touchdowns, when they let the air out of the ball.

Second of all, the Patriots are cheating lowlife who deserve to have all their draft picks taken away, then the whole organization gets thrown in the river.  

The Pats were clearly the better team and deserved to win.

HOWEVER, if this is found to be true AND management knew about it (Belicheck/coaches), you need to slap them with the NFL's equivalent of "lack of institutional control" and start rolling some heads.

I would settle for no less than Belicheck's firing, massive fines, and multiple draft picks taken away.

He got caught once and to do it again proves he doesn't care about the rules and will almost certainly continue the behavior in the future.

Patriots Busted!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/20/report-nfl-found-11-of-12-patriots-footballs-under-inflated/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Report: NFL found 11 of 12 Patriots footballs under-inflated

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 20, 2015, 11:22 PM EST
AP

The New England Patriots may have some explaining to do.

According to Chris Mortensen of ESPN.com, the NFL has found that 11 of the 12 football used by the New England Patriots in Sunday’s AFC Championship game against the Indianapolis Colts were under-inflated by two pounds each.

The Colts noticed one of the Patriots footballs was abnormal after linebacker D’Qwell Jackson intercepted Tom Brady. The issue was then relayed up through the organization and ultimately to the league, who began an investigation into the situation.

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick declined to comment on the investigation. Per Mortensen, the league has no further comment on the investigation at this time.

Mortensen said on ESPN’s Sportscenter that the investigation is still not complete and the league is still looking to determine how the footballs became under-inflated. NFL executive V.P. of football operations Troy Vincent said on PFT Live on Tuesday the investigation should be concluded within 2-3 days.

Per NFL rules, the footballs must be inflated between 12.5-13.5 pounds per square inch of air pressure.

It seems pretty improbable that mere happenstance would result in 11 of the 12 footballs being under-inflated without outside factors. While the blame for the deflated footballs has yet to be assigned, the Patriots won’t get much in the way of benefit of the doubt due to previous issues.

It was easier to run because the ball was lighter! Anyway, wouldn't any advantage gained by NE also be had by Indy?

They use different balls.

So 2 games this postseason
1st. They run plays that are used to deceive to win the first game.
2nd. They deflate the balls.

Its near comical how slimy these guys are.

They use different balls.

So 2 games this postseason
1st. They run plays that are used to deceive to win the first game.
2nd. They deflate the balls.

Its near comical how slimy these guys are.

1st. all plays are designed to deceive the defense, thats what plays are.. that complaint is utter bullshit, play was 100% legal, nonsense..

2nd, balls were reflated during halftime.. and they scored even MORE points in the second half..

i will assume a slap on the wrist is coming, and rightfully so.. it doesnt appear any advantage was actually had..

1st. all plays are designed to deceive the defense, thats what plays are.. that complaint is utter bullshit, play was 100% legal, nonsense..
2nd, balls were reflated during halftime.. and they scored even MORE points in the second half..

i will assume a slap on the wrist is coming, and rightfully so.. it doesnt appear any advantage was actually had..

This justification works fine for this game however the Ravens game is a different matter.

• 2 months later...

I never saw this before. 

I don't think you had a good handle on what they actually did when you wrote it. You can't really compare a normal play with what they were doing. Why it has since been outlawed. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12556985/new-england-patriots-formation-now-ruled-illegal-substitution

Archived