Agent: ODELL THURMAN Agrees

Pollack is all that is left.... Get R Done!!!

[url="http://www.bengals.com"]http://www.bengals.com[/url]

[quote]Agent: Thurman agrees 
8-1-05, 8:55 p.m.
BY GEOFF HOBSON
GEORGETOWN. Ky. _ Rookie middle linebacker Odell Thurman reached a five-year deal with the Bengals Monday night and is expected here at Georgetown College for his first practice Tuesday afternoon, according to one of his agents.

The Bengals won’t comment until the contract is signed.

The signing of Thurman, a second-round pick out of Georgia, means that college teammate and first-rounder David Pollack is the only unsigned draft pick as the Bengals close in on Friday night’s intrasquad scrimmage.

The Bengals didn’t back down on their demand for a five-year deal in a stalemate that led Thurman to miss seven practices. But agent Safarrah Lawson said Thurman has a chance to make significant money in the fifth year with what is believed to be an escalators package.

“The team got what they wanted and we got the chance to do very well in the fifth year,” Lawson said.

Thurman probably has to work his way back into a starting spot now manned by last year’s incumbent Landon Johnson. After Thurman’s impressive work in the May and June camps in place of Johnson as he rehabbed from shoulder surgery, head coach Marvin Lewis made Thurman the starter. But Johnson, who led the Bengals in tackles last year as a rookie in 10 starts in the middle, got the job back this week after he was cleared and the shoulder has held up.

Or, they could move Johnson to Pollack’s spot and put Thurman in the middle right away.

The 6-0, 235-pound Thurman is considered the best inside backer to come out of the draft despite playing just two seasons at Georgia. His fierce, sideline-to-sideline energy and his big-time tackling abilities have earned him comparisons to former Bengals linebacker and current Bills Pro Bowler Takeo Spikes.[/quote]

Agent: Thurman agrees
8-1-05, 8:55 p.m.
BY GEOFF HOBSON
GEORGETOWN. Ky. _ Rookie middle linebacker Odell Thurman reached a five-year deal with the Bengals Monday night and is expected here at Georgetown College for his first practice Tuesday afternoon, according to one of his agents.

The Bengals won’t comment until the contract is signed.

The signing of Thurman, a second-round pick out of Georgia, means that college teammate and first-rounder David Pollack is the only unsigned draft pick as the Bengals close in on Friday night’s intrasquad scrimmage.

The Bengals didn’t back down on their demand for a five-year deal in a stalemate that led Thurman to miss seven practices. But agent Safarrah Lawson said Thurman has a chance to make significant money in the fifth year with what is believed to be an escalators package.

“The team got what they wanted and we got the chance to do very well in the fifth year,” Lawson said.

Thurman probably has to work his way back into a starting spot now manned by last year’s incumbent Landon Johnson. After Thurman’s impressive work in the May and June camps in place of Johnson as he rehabbed from shoulder surgery, head coach Marvin Lewis made Thurman the starter. But Johnson, who led the Bengals in tackles last year as a rookie in 10 starts in the middle, got the job back this week after he was cleared and the shoulder has held up.

Or, they could move Johnson to Pollack’s spot and put Thurman in the middle right away.

The 6-0, 235-pound Thurman is considered the best inside backer to come out of the draft despite playing just two seasons at Georgia. His fierce, sideline-to-sideline energy and his big-time tackling abilities have earned him comparisons to former Bengals linebacker and current Bills Pro Bowler Takeo Spikes.

Guest Whodey420
Bout time.....Its good to see the Bengals stick to their guns, not back down and still get it done....now its time for Mr. "I wont hold out" Pollack to get his ass in
there....

[quote name='CornerBlitZ' date='Aug 1 2005, 10:20 PM']We all knew it was bound to happen.  The way Geoff wrote that piece makes it seem like Landon is the new starting MLB ?
[right][post="122696"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I think Thurman will eventually win the job. Now, depending upon how long Pollack holds out, does Landon win the SAM?

[quote name='The Scales' date='Aug 1 2005, 10:19 PM']LOL a post for each duplicate thread, now that's dedicated post slutting.

I think i'll do the same.
Man what great news. Bengals now=Best Defense ever.
[right][post="122695"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Jamie-B and I posted within about 5 seconds of each other. There was a 3rd, but he deleted it.

[quote name='Jason' date='Aug 1 2005, 10:24 PM']Jamie-B and I posted within about 5 seconds of each other.  There was a 3rd, but he deleted it.
[right][post="122701"][/post][/right][/quote]

I tried to merge all 3 but I dont got that power. <_<

Good call...I don't doubt that the rave reviews for Landon helped in the late stages of negotiation.

This is what makes Landon a very valuable guy. He was able to step in and look good...Maybe even shaking up Thurman's camp towards a deal.

Now, maybe he'll shift to SLB and a week of solid work there could make Pollack's side blink.

Regardless, I really don't want to see Pollack miss any further practice. We need him to be fully up to speed.

It's going to be great to have Odell flying around tomorrow.

I also don't mind the news about 5th year escalators (depending on the level). If Thurman is our starting LB in 5 years, he'll deserve a pretty decent salary.

What we really wanted is just to be able to have that kind of cost certainty going through 5 years. That's how Marvin tends to build, according to Sun Tzu's "Art of War"

'Always attack from high ground. If you are on low ground, retreat. If you are on the same level...Negotiate a truce.'

BZ

[quote name='TheBZ' date='Aug 1 2005, 10:28 PM']Good call...I don't doubt that the rave reviews for Landon helped in the late stages of negotiation.

This is what makes Landon a very valuable guy. He was able to step in and look good...Maybe even shaking up Thurman's camp towards a deal.

[b]Now, maybe he'll shift to SLB and a week of solid work there could make Pollack's side blink.[/b]
Regardless, I really don't want to see Pollack miss any further practice. We need him to be fully up to speed.

It's going to be great to have Odell flying around tomorrow.

I also don't mind the news about 5th year escalators (depending on the level). If Thurman is our starting LB in 5 years, he'll deserve a pretty decent salary.

What we really wanted is just to be able to have that kind of cost certainty going through 5 years. That's how Marvin tends to build, according to Sun Tzu's "Art of War"

'Always attack from high ground. If you are on low ground, retreat. If you are on the same level...Negotiate a truce.'

BZ
[right][post="122705"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

No way do we wait a week on Pollack, hell be here in a few days. Most of the guys around his slot are signed, now with Thurman in Landon can move to Pollacks spot and that will put the pressure on the Pollack camp to get r' done even quicker.

Less than a week.

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Aug 1 2005, 10:33 PM']No way do we wait a week on Pollack, hell be here in a few days. Most of the guys around his slot are signed, now with Thurman in Landon can move to Pollacks spot and that will put the pressure on the Pollack camp to get r' done even quicker.

Less than a week.
[right][post="122707"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I would hope that all the slotting above Pollack, his competative desire, and his status as the only Bengal not in camp might finally knock a little action out of Pollack. It sure feels like he and his agent are grasping at straws trying to eek out a little more money. Maybe tomorrow Pollack will say enough is enough, time to play.

*crosses fingers*

Archived