The AFC North will regress in 2015

The AFC North will regress in 2015

Posted by Matt Verderame on Jan 28, 2015 09:00

In 2015, the AFC North was the only division in either conference to have three playoff teams emerge. The Cincinnati Bengals, Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens all made the postseason, with the Cleveland Browns finishing a competitive fourth at 7-9.

Don’t expect more than the division winner to make it back in 2015.

The AFC North benefited from an incredibly easy schedule. Outside of inner-division play, the North had the luxury of facing the AFC South and NFC South, the two worst divisions in football. If you aren’t sure about how bad they are, the Carolina Panthers won the division crown with a 7-8-1 record in the NFC South, while the AFC South featured a Houston Texans team that finished second with a quarterbacking trio of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Ryan Mallett and Case Keenum.

In 2015, the AFC North will draw the AFC and NFC Western divisions. It will be a tougher challenge, drawing the Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, San Diego Chargers, Seattle Seahawks, Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers. Even the St. Louis Rams are a respectable team, while the Oakland Raiders have new leadership in head coach Jack Del Rio.

Pittsburgh will also draw a first-place schedule, giving it the additional pleasure of facing the Indianapolis Colts at home and the New England Patriots at home. Outside of Cleveland, Oakland and St. Louis, the Steelers will not face a team which had a losing record in 2014. By comparison, Pittsburgh played eight teams under .500 this season.

The Bengals have a home schedule including their divisional opponents along with the Chiefs, Chargers, Rams, Seahawks and Texans. Even with solid showings, it might be tough to be much better than 5-3. Factor in road dates with the Steelers, Ravens, 49ers, Broncos, Rams, Cardinals and Bills, and it isn’t hard to envision an 8-8 season. The same can be said for Baltimore, which shares the same home and road opponents as Cincinnati, sans the differences caused by the second and third-place schedules (the Ravens get the Miami Dolphins away and the Jacksonville Jaguars at home, while the Bengals get the Bills at home and the Texans away).

It will also be hard for the Steelers and Ravens to improve. Both teams are aging and against the salary cap. According to Over the Cap, Pittsburgh is actually above the threshold while Baltimore has $4.1 million available. Cleveland has the most cap space in the division at $49.4 million, but does not have a quality quarterback. Cincinnati is in the best overall position with a solid roster and $34.3 million of space. The problem for the Bengals is a mediocre quarterback/coach combination in Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis, along with notoriously cheap ownership.

The AFC North had plenty of success this season. Don’t expect it to continue.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/the_afc_north_will_regress_in_2015/18168578?linksrc=fscom_team_nfl_cincinnati_bengals

The problem for the Bengals is a mediocre quarterback/coach combination in Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis

Truer words have never been spoken....Mediocre combination with a talented team around them will get you in the playoffs every year or all most every year and that is about it...which is exactly what we have had and will continue to have until changes are made.

No. Every AFC North team is going to get better except the Bengals.

I know this because I read it here multiple times.

Why are you worried?    You'll put your blinders on.    Then when the results are known you'll produce the rationalizations like always.

If we end up 8-8 it will because of some path not leading back to Dalton and Lewis.   If we are one and done again it will be hanging another mythical banner,  a round of fake satisfaction, and rationalization path not leading to Dalton or Lewis.

If they win it all,  it's I told you so and you get your sticker for never jumping off the bandwagon. 

Dude, you're covered! 

I'm guessing that is not the norm for a division to put 3 teams in.    I'm guessing a division doing that in back to back years falls further down the scale of probability.

Exactly.  3 out of 4 teams in the playoffs from a division is statistically very unlikely to occur again this year, so technically, yes the chances are very high that the AFC North will 'regress' this year.  

Could have 2 AFCN teams in the AFCCG with one going on to the SB and it would still have meant that technically, the AFCN regressed because 3 teams didn't make it.  

Way to go out on a limb.....

Who said I was?

Obiviously what you've read on this board multiple times has you concerned enough to mention it in this thread.

Dude, you're covered.   Go back to bed and get some rest.   At the end of next season you'll have your list of reasons "why" ready.

Leave this kinda of stuff to the fans that actually worry about winning a Superbowl. 

Harder schedule?   No problem.   Hey, wait a minute there's reason No. 1. 

Obiviously what you've read on this board multiple times has you concerned enough to mention it in this thread.

Dude, you're covered.   Go back to bed and get some rest.   At the end of next season you'll have your list of reasons "why" ready.

Leave this kinda of stuff to the fans that actually worry about winning a Superbowl. 

Harder schedule?   No problem.   Hey, wait a minute there's reason No. 1. 

Why are you giving me shit? Did I strike a nerve?

I want to win a Super Bowl. Do I "worry" about it? Hell no. 

The Bengals are my favorite team in my favorite sport. 

When I was younger and they lost it actually effected me negatively

to the point it would ruin my entire week. And then they would lose

the next week and more negativity. The losses kept mounting to

where I had to find other ways to deal with it. I guess you could 

say I grew up. I realized I truly had no control. So I just watched 

the games and tried to get as much enjoyment out of them as possible.

I love the Bengals. No one wants them to win more than I do. And I mean no one.

This last loss was very disappointing to me. But I don't let it ruin me.

I don't want to be a bitter fan that talks shit to other fans that talk good

about MY team. "Oh my God you don't hate and bash on a team I am 

fan of too! What the fuck is wrong with you?! You should be ridiculed 

and scorned!" Get the fuck out of here with that shit.

The Bengals have won almost as many games in the past 4 years 

than they did from 1991 until 2002. If I made it through those days

and was still optimistic about them, why in the hell would it change now?

Because of this poisoned fan base? Fuck you. 

And how do I know most of the people that bash on the Bengals aren't sitting

in a Roethlisberger jersey sipping on an Iron City and saying they're Bengals fans?

I wouldn't let a troll fan of another team come here and talk shit and not defend MY team.

So why the hell should I sit back and let anyone do it just because they claim to be a fan?

When you stick your neck out for your team and they disappoint you. It is actually even more

disappointing than bashing on them all the time and getting to say I told you so and talk shit

to fans of YOUR team for months. So obviously you are the one that is covered. Good for you.

And how do I know most of the people that bash on the Bengals are sitting

in a Roethlisberger jersey sipping on an Iron City and saying they're Bengals fans?

I wouldn't let a troll fan of another team come here and talk shit and not defend MY team.

So why the hell should I sit back and let anyone do it just because they claim to be a fan?

When you stick your neck out for your team and they disappoint you. It is actually even more

disappointing than bashing on them all the time and getting to say I told you so and talk shit

to fans of YOUR team for months. So obviously you are the one that is covered. Good for you.

Just relax.   You are covered for next year regardless. 

Truth. Pretty much went through the same thing. I remember when every lose was so earth shattering it ruined days/a week. Now i still hate it when they lose but not nearly as life altering one way or another. Still yell and rep cincy just as hard down in fl as i used to though

Its one thing to be a fan of the team and support them week to week as they do battle. It's an entirely different thing to excuse or even discuss some of the more questionable decisions made by the franchise ie ownership over the years.

The reality is Marvin Lewis should have been fired after the 2010 clusteruck of a season. You see differently.

This organization rewards mediocrity and outright failure in many cases. You don't seem to have a problem with that.

By March 25th or so, once again we will be sitting here with a couple of Meh free agent signings and a shit ton of cap space. You will praise management for not over spending.

Its one thing to be a fan of the team and support them week to week as they do battle. It's an entirely different thing to excuse or even discuss some of the more questionable decisions made by the franchise ie ownership over the years.

The reality is Marvin Lewis should have been fired after the 2010 clusteruck of a season. You see differently.

This organization rewards mediocrity and outright failure in many cases. You don't seem to have a problem with that.

Why should I say anything bad? I think that shit is more than covered here.

And you say they should have fired Marvin? I see people praise Zimmer 

for his team winning a game and a half more than they did the previous Season.

They say he did a "wonderful job" considering the AP fiasco. Hell, Marvin had his

$100 million QB quit on him and hasn't had a losing Season and made the Playoffs

every Season since. 

I know what mediocrity and failure looks like. These past few Seasons ain't it.

During those dark days that caused so much frustration.   Many fans correctly identified the problem as lack of talent.     Now during these much happier but still not championshipt days  fans have correctly identified the problem.

Pure speculation on my part but I'm guessing a vote of approval was always given by some regardless of the results.  

As it relates to next season and the topic of the thread.   Schedule on paper looks much harder.   We know Marvin is back with Dalton.

Better get some impactful free agents or you will be asking them to win 4 on the road to hang a championship.  

This organization rewards mediocrity and outright failure in many cases. You don't seem to have a problem with it .

Your first paragraph doesn't hold much weight with the team now making 4 straight post season appearances. Your second paragraph also seems lame... Although I understand where you are coming from.

IMHO, I think Mike Brown see's a coach who has done something that even the revered Paul Brown couldn't do with the Bengals... 4 straight playoffs and 6 in 12 years.

So in that respect, I agree that he has blinders on when it comes to Marvin. Obviously there are many who feel differently, and old shouldn't be attacked because he doesn't agree with the naysayers...

During those dark days that caused so much frustration.   Many fans correctly identified the problem as lack of talent.     Now during these much happier but still not championshipt days  fans have correctly identified the problem.

Pure speculation on my part but I'm guessing a vote of approval was always given by some regardless of the results.  

As it relates to next season and the topic of the thread.   Schedule on paper looks much harder.   We know Marvin is back with Dalton.

Better get some impactful free agents or you will be asking them to win 4 on the road to hang a championship.  

Although I think Dalton is a little better than the piece of shit most seem to want to compare him too, the rest of your post is pretty much spot on.

I only ask they win one or at least make a game of any week 18 competition.

Although I think Dalton is a little better than the piece of shit most seem to want to compare him too, the rest of your post is pretty much spot on.

I don't think he's a piece of shit.  He's marginal and hasn't proven to be effective in the playoffs.

That goes for Dalton and Marvin.

Their records say this.    We don't win the AFC North unless we play the NFC North.    When we win the North we do it while dropping 1 or 2 games that ultimately cost us a bye week and homefield.

The reality is this for next season.   The schedule gets harder on paper and most likely when they qualify they'll have to win 3 games on the road to reach a Superbowl going up against guys like Luck, Brady, and I guess Manning.   If not those then Ben and Flacco.

Better drop some cash on free agents. 

Your first paragraph doesn't hold much weight with the team now making 4 straight post season appearances. Your second paragraph also seems lame... Although I understand where you are coming from.
IMHO, I think Mike Brown see's a coach who has done something that even the revered Paul Brown couldn't do with the Bengals... 4 straight playoffs and 6 in 12 years.
So in that respect, I agree that he has blinders on when it comes to Marvin. Obviously there are many who feel differently, and old shouldn't be attacked because he doesn't agree with the naysayers...

Sorry but Marvin Lewis LOST that team in 2010. It was fucking circus. No reason to give him yet another chance. It was his 8 th season with NO playoff wins. What has changed?

Paul Brown made it two 2 Superbowls and was in the playoffs 7 times as the owner. Mike Brown is YET to win a playoff game in 24 years to include 12 with Marvin at the helm.

If you want to compare Paul Browns vs Marvin Lewis coaching careers you are foolish but be my guest. In fact, someone do it, I am on my phone and can't at the moment.

PaUL Browns first 10 years coaching, 10 straight playoff appearances, 7 Championships.

Paul Brown was coaching the Bengals, a team created from scratch, before salary caps and free agency.

It's totally different from the dark decade.  Back then, we knew the team had very little talent so we expected them to lose each week.  When they won that occasional game, it was cause for celebration!

Now we have the talent (exception being mediocre QB) and a mediocre (at best) coach, so everyone becomes frustrated when we can't win the Prime Time and Playoff games.

Archived