Kenny Anderson's numbers weren't inflated

Kenny Anderson's numbers weren't inflated

Posted 10 hours ago

hobson60x60.jpg Geoff Hobson Editor Bengals.com

013015-anderson-ken.jpg

Kenny Anderson (No. 14) threw a ball right out of the box.

PHOENIX, Ariz. _ Jeff Blake said he deflated the ball and Boomer Esiason said he didn’t much care, as long as punter Lee Johnson didn’t turn it into “a balloon ball.”

But the greatest Bengals passer of them all, Ken Anderson, said he took whatever ball the official put in the game because that’s the way it was.

“I always have to say, ‘This is my career as I remember it,’” Anderson said with a laugh Saturday from Cincinnati. “What I remember is the officials would get a box of new balls in their locker room, they’d rub them up, and we wouldn’t be able to practice with them or even use them in warmups. Maybe you’d be able to make a couple of (warmup) throws before the game, but I don’t even remember doing that.”

It seemed to work out OK for him. Anderson won four NFL passing titles and went to four Pro Bowls. One of the most accurate passers who ever lived, Anderson didn’t like the ball deflated. Not that he would or could have done anything about it.

“I liked to be able to grip it solid. I’ve got big hands, but that’s just the way I liked it,” he said. “The only thing you’d be worried about is if they were slick. You didn’t want a slick ball. And the laces could be a little more prominent on some.”

Like everyone else, Anderson is waiting to see what the NFL concludes. Did the Patriots let the air out after halftime of the AFC championship game? He certainly doesn’t think it’s the reason Tom Brady has had a Hall of Fame career.

“I don’t think it had any impact on that game,” Anderson said. “In the grand scheme of things, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. But if something happened that shouldn’t have happened, they have to deal with it.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Kenny-Andersons-numbers-werent-inflated/7fc4a2bf-80ab-40da-90a5-555515d3e557

Completely agree about Curtis. Just looking at the "QBs are always overhyped" thing that dominates the HoF which makes Ken a more obvious oversight.

I'd also include Rich Braham in that list of "how the fuck is he not in the Hall" players.

The other glaring omission in Bengals who were passed over and screwed over is

Ken Riley.

This year Shields made it mainly on longevity and durability.

Riley should make it on that criteria alone.  Well, that sounds wrong.

He was a fantastic defensive back without that.

I say hell yeah put Riley in the HOF but Lemar Parrish was the better CB for years and is recognized that way with the voters.

I doubt either ever get in but if you want Riley in you need to get Parrish in first or wait for all the old voters to die and hope the new voters do what Bengal fans do and hang their arguement solely based on all time Ints.

Parrish was Deon Sanders back in the day and is probably the second biggest case of former Bengals of that era robbed out of the hall behind Ken Anderson.    HIm or Curtis.

But in reality at least 2 out of the 4 (Kenny, Riley, Parrish, and Curtis)  shouldn't be shunned by the HOF.     IMO,  the modern day robbery will be Willie Anderson not being in the Hall.

Kenny Anderson was the first consistently successful West Coast QB.     Montana recognized and creditied for being the first.   He was the First Champion by beating Ken Anderson.

Ken Anderson changed the game.  If he couldn't function in that system that system is probably delayed or revamped into something completely different.  Given his stats, and ranking among peers he should be in but the tipping point should be him being the First Qb in the most revolutionary offense for pro football.

Instead that is often held against him.

Archived