Jets potentially targeting Clint Boling in FA

Wouldn't be surprised to see him get 5 years $20-25M. Young guys (still only 25) with multiple years of starting experience and average to above-average performance are going to be at least somewhat expensive on the open market. He'd be an instant starter on half the teams in the league at least. 

I had estimated it would take a $4M per year contract to sign him, but that might be on the lower end.

So when does the Hate begin for this contestant?

How dare he entertain thoughts of market value?! How dare any team contemplate it?!

He hasn't been terrible for years, so I doubt there is any reason to celebrate his "departure"

Maybe not just yet...but the moment the plane touches down at LaGuardia.....

He's pretty good. Average to slightly above-average starter (which is nothing to sneeze at considering how bad our OG play was before his arrival). I made the case for re-signing him elsewhere. I'd love him at $4M and be fine with $5M. If it gets much higher than that, I don't know...

I was thinking about all the different options when putting together a Bengals mock draft and one of the things I considered was whether it might make sense to let Boling go if he gets too expensive and put that money they were budgeting for him towards a really top notch DE. One of the top guys on the market.

That would take DE off the table as an early round need and make somebody like La'el Collins in the first round a really attractive option. Something like that could theoretically upgrade both the OL and DL. 

Unless we draft that guy. But I'm with you 100%.

Boiling is AVERAGE at BEST, and IMO not the place you want to be dropping 5M/year with all of the holes we have. 

Another thing to consider is that Zeitler, Smith and Whitworth are all about to hit FA. Tough to pay all 4. 

If we're going to pay up for 3 of the 4, those are the 3 I'd prefer. 

Anyway, hopefully the market more like $4M for Boling and we can just keep him.

Biggest consideration with the way this franchise works is Z at RG.

If they are willing to have two decent deals at Guard while also trying to extend two tackles. Awesome.

Somehow this franchise always talks as if they can only do this or that. If that is the case, I would rather have Z

Another thing to consider is that Zeitler, Smith and Whitworth are all about to hit FA. Tough to pay all 4. 

If we're going to pay up for 3 of the 4, those are the 3 I'd prefer. 

Anyway, hopefully the market more like $4M for Boling and we can just keep him.

Which is why we are looking at drafting a tackle this year.

Boling is a good starter.  Solid in pass pro, good at pulling, but not a straight ahead bull.

I was thinking about all the different options when putting together a Bengals mock draft and one of the things I considered was whether it might make sense to let Boling go if he gets too expensive and put that money they were budgeting for him towards a really top notch DE. One of the top guys on the market.

That would take DE off the table as an early round need and make somebody like La'el Collins in the first round a really attractive option. Something like that could theoretically upgrade both the OL and DL. 

If this is how it played out it would be an A+ offseason for me.  Big fan of La'el being in stripes to go along with proven top notch DE.  La'el keeps moving up my wish list.

How about drafting a quality OT and moving Whit inside?

I think it would strengthen the OL and add a few years to Whit's career.

Would help both the inside and outside running game, allow deeper, more complete routes and give he-who-shall-not-be-named

more time to throw and improve his accuracy.

I would even goof on the idea of trading to move up a few slots and grab a

really good one if he would start to slide.

I have a feeling the Bengals let him walk.  Then they draft a tackle-type in the second or third round; start him off at guard and groom him to replace either Andre or Whit in a couple of years.  

There are a couple Mountain Men in this draft that are a bit like Whitworth was coming you.  Guys that are getting dinged a little because they are so big rather than so much athletic - but those are guys Alexander has seemed to favor since Levi Jones left. 

(I'm doing this withoug "wingspan" numbers but):

Andrus Peat

Donovan Smith

Corey Robinson

Ereck Flowers

Hell, even Trenton Brown...

On another note, anyone watch much of Cam Erving when he played LT last year on FSU's national champ team?  That guy just checks off all of the boxes imo.

How about drafting a quality OT and moving Whit inside?
I think it would strengthen the OL and add a few years to Whit's career.

Would help both the inside and outside running game, allow deeper, more complete routes and give he-who-shall-not-be-named
more time to throw and improve his accuracy.

I would even goof on the idea of trading to move up a few slots and grab a
really good one if he would start to slide.

Good plan. If Collins gets released by Tampa it would be a good insurance policy for this plan. Swing tackle. Possible lt or lg starter if tackle prospect doesn't materialize in the draft.

Archived