Paul Dehner's Mock Draft 1.0

21. Cincinnati — OT La'el Collins (LSU). The argument many will make in selecting Collins surround doubts he can transition to left tackle full-time in the NFL. The same doubts were cast toward another former LSU offensive lineman joining the Bengals. Cincinnati can only hope Collins achieves to the same degree.

Collins hits both immediate and future needs since he can play immediately as a starting guard in the league as well as cover both tackle positions as a swinging backup. Then, with the contracts of Whitworth and Andre Smith expiring after this year, the team decides if Collins should move into the starting role of one or the other. Regardless, the versatility and upside potential he offers at one of the most important positions on the field will be hard to pass up.

Plus, he serves as an ideal fit being mentored by Tigers product Whitworth and blocking for one of his best friends in former Tigers teammate Jeremy Hill. Sometimes the board falls your way, and Cincinnati would sure feel they covered a lot of options if Collins landed in their lap.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/03/04/paul-dehner-jr-bengals-mock-draft-10/24338431/

IMHO there's a perfect trade down scenario in Dehners mock.

Cincy sits at #21. Pittsburgh at #22. Arizona at #24.

Pittsburgh and Arizona are said to both want Dupree.

Dehner mocks Dupree to Pittsburgh at #22...forcing Arizona to settle for 2nd choice.

If Arizona really wants Dupree they'd only need to move to Bengals pick at #21 to make it happen.

Bengals drop back three slots and pick up a 4th round pick.

Dehner mocks Dupree to Pittsburgh at #22...forcing Arizona to settle for 2nd choice.

If Arizona really wants Dupree they'd only need to move to Bengals pick at #21 to make it happen.

If Dupree is on the board at 21 and we trade out we better get a boatload, because Dupree is the guy I want.

I'm not sure I'd pass on La'el Collins for a 4th round pick.

I'm not sure I'd pass on La'el Collins for a 4th round pick.

If things fall in the way Dehner predicts...(Steelers and Lions both targeting D)....there's a very good chance you could still get Collins at #24.

If Dupree is on the board at 21 and we trade out we better get a boatload, because Dupree is the guy I want.

I didn't consult a trade chart but getting more than a 4th for moving down just 3 slots seems like best case scenario.

If things fall in the way Dehner predicts...(Stealers and Lions both targeting D)....there's a very good chance you could still get Collins at #24.

I didn't consult a trade chart but getting more than a 4th for moving down just 3 slots seems like best case scenario.

Depends on how much they want him I guess. :shrug:

If things fall in the way Dehner predicts...(Stealers and Lions both targeting D)....there's a very good chance you could still get Collins at #24.

Someone would have to offer me more than market value to not take the guy I want.

certainly possible, but the Steelers could take him, or another team could trade with them.

I'm usually for gaining picks, but if there's a guy you really want who you're probably lucky has fallen that far already, I'm not sure you risk it.  

certainly possible, but the Stealers could take him, or another team could trade with them.

I'm usually for gaining picks, but if there's a guy you really want who you're probably lucky has fallen that far already, I'm not sure you risk it.  

Yeah, I agree. Seems to have been the mentality for a few years now, don't think we'd change any time soon unless a magical offer appears on the table.

You're getting Collins AND keeping Dupree from the Stealers in the best case scenario there. 

But I'd think a Cam Erving or even an Ereck Flowers might be just fine too.

Or a Benadrick McKinney

(almost no ninja).

with the maualuga resigning today, you can probably cross mckinney's name off the list at #21...not that i think he deserved to be a consideration there, anyway.

with the maualuga resigning today, you can probably cross mckinney's name off the list at #21...not that i think he deserved to be a consideration there, anyway.

Oh don't think he would have been.  

I think all of those LBs are really 2nd round guys, at least historically speaking in terms of where they rate. 

Had McKinney run a 4.5 something I would say differently.  But now I think he goes somewhere from 30-50.

Archived