Maualuga back...

Rey-union for three years with Maualuga

Posted 43 minutes ago

hobson60x60.jpg Geoff Hobson Editor Bengals.com 

maualuga140120-1_630.jpg

The Bengals kicked off free agency Thursday with a “Rey-union,” when then they re-signed middle linebacker Rey Maualuga to a three-year deal that that keeps him in Cincinnati through his 30th birthday.

Maualuga, who has started every Opening Day since he was a second-round pick in 2009 out of USC, comes into his seventh season after enjoying what many thought to be his best year as a pro.  He didn’t listen to a seven-week prognosis for his hamstring injury and worked his way back to miss only four games while finishing with 59 tackles.

In the absence of injured WILL backer Vontaze Burfict, Maualuga teamed with Vincent Rey to handle the huddle and signals. Burfict’s unknown status in the wake of microfracture surgery on his knee is another reason they needed to get a deal with Maualuga before free agency opens unofficially Saturday and officially Tuesday.

It’s believed Maualuga’s hit on the cap is in the $5 million range.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Rey-union-for-three-years-with-Maualuga/06b8c285-c295-4921-99af-a91dd1a6e207

Bengals extend Rey Maualuga
Updated: March 5, 2015, 4:37 PM ET
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

The Cincinnati Bengals signed middle linebacker Rey Maualuga to a three-year contract extension, the team announced Thursday.

Maualuga, 28, was drafted by the Bengals in the second round in 2009.

[+] Enlargenfl_a_bengsteel_300x200.jpg
AP Photo/Michael ConroyThe Bengals moved to solidify their run defense by bringing back linebacker Rey Maualuga on a three-year deal.

"Rey is a physical force on the field and a great teammate in our locker room," Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said in a team release. "He's a hard-working, dedicated player who continues to get better. As we have put together playoff teams the last four years, we've said more than once that a huge key is keeping productive players who know our system, and this is another big step in that plan."

One of the few linebackers the Bengals have actually drafted in recent seasons -- others such as Vincent Rey, Emmanuel Lamur, Jayson DiManche and Vontaze Burfict were all undrafted free-agent signings -- Maualuga has been viewed as a cornerstone of the defense. The Bengals hoped to use the middle linebacker as one of the focal points of their defense when he was first selected. They maintained that view of him in 2013 when he was re-signed to a two-year contract extension.

Injuries have been a problem for Maualuga throughout his career, particularly in the past two seasons. He had a knee injury in 2013 that forced him to miss three games. This past season, a hamstring injury kept him out of four.

When he was on the field last season, Maualuga recorded 59 tackles and an interception.

He had a clear impact on the Bengals' run defense. When Maualuga was on the field, opposing running backs averaged just 3.6 yards per carry. When he wasn't, they averaged 4.9 yards.

Back in January, Bengals defense coordinator Paul Guenther said he hoped that Maualuga would stay in Cincinnati.

"I like Rey as a player. I always have," the former Bengals linebackers coach said. "I know he gets a bad rap around here and has in the past some, but he played damn good when he was in there, so I hope to have him back."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12428059/rey-maualuga-signs-three-year-extension-cincinnati-bengals

Cap hit in the $5M range?

That seems a little bit high. 

Will be interesting to see what guys like David Harris, Brandon Spikes, etc. get. 

With the cap going up 10% a year lately and a lot of teams having loads of cap space, we could see some pretty big contracts this offseason...

Cap hit in the $5M range?

That seems a little bit high. 

Will be interesting to see what guys like David Harris, Brandon Spikes, etc. get. 

With the cap going up 10% a year lately and a lot of teams having loads of cap space, we could see some pretty big contracts this offseason...

Well, I think Rey is quite a bit better then Spikes.  Harris has been pretty good for a long time but getting up there age wise.

I actually think that is a pretty fair price for him this go round.  He played way better the last two years than at anytime in his career.

I am very meh on this. I don't really think he is all that great. A 2 down run stuffer who can't cover. I hope we didn't pay him a ton.I would have and still would love to upgrade but if we paid him a lot that seems unlikely. I would be happiest signing him and moving him to SLB. I doubt we do that. I just can't imagine that they can't see a guy like Lofton as an obvious and important upgrade. 

I am very meh on this. I don't really think he is all that great. A 2 down run stuffer who can't cover. I hope we didn't pay him a ton.I would have and still would love to upgrade but if we paid him a lot that seems unlikely. I would be happiest signing him and moving him to SLB. I doubt we do that. I just can't imagine that they can't see a guy like Lofton as an obvious and important upgrade. 

LOL, I don't think the word great is anywhere to be found above.  He is decent and it takes a lot of decent with a couple of studs in the mix to have a good team in the NFL.  

Kinda crazy how it went from us wishing he woulda went out to 'Zona two years ago to being relieved that he's coming back.  He's definitely been a nice cog the past couple of years.  Glad he's back.  Now its time to get Kraken...

Kinda crazy how it went from us wishing he woulda went out to 'Zona two years ago to being relieved that he's coming back.  He's definitely been a nice cog the past couple of years.  Glad he's back.  Now its time to get Kraken...

it is..but he was dearly missed when he was out last year.. And played pretty damn well when he returned.

Contrary to the popular opinion, I don't like this signing.  I think we should have moved on from guys like Maualuga, who has been abused in each and every playoff game.  When it matters, teams know to find the matchup with Rey M and go to it over and over again.   Even Boom Herron abused him.   

And $5mil in 2015?  Yikes.  

Archived