Cincinnati Bengals: Impossible Spot With Andy Dalton

Cincinnati Bengals: Impossible Spot With Andy Dalton

by Robby Sabo    

Despite roster holes, personnel decisions and the many salary cap moves the Cincinnati Bengals need to decide on, the quarterback position remains an issue.

The resume is solid: 27-years old, hasn’t missed a game, two Pro Bowl nods, one season over 4,000 yards, and a career 99-66 TD to INT ratio.

For most NFL organizations, that’s a guy you’d be thrilled to call your franchise quarterback.

That is, until you mention his name is Andy Dalton.

It’s incredible how quarterback heavy this league has truly become. If an NFL general manager doesn’t yet possess a franchise quarterback, he then needs to do everything in his power to grab one. If he has two guys battling it out, then he in fact has no franchise guy.

Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, Tony Romo, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson and Andy Dalton – these are the quarterbacks who took their teams to the playoffs last season. We of course leave out the Arizona Cardinals for obvious reasons.

Only Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Drew Brees, and possibly Matt Ryan, can be argued as true top signal callers who didn’t taste postseason play in 2014.

Due to ridiculous rule changes and incredible safety precautions, the position has become an everything or nothing proposition for teams in this league.

The question the Cincinnati Bengals need to answer is whether Dalton is their guy.

It is obviously very difficult to obtain one of these gems. It’s even harder to let go of a guy who flirts with franchise status like Dalton does.

The “Red Rifle” has led an extremely efficient offense over the past four seasons. Him and A.J. Green have hooked up 35-times since both were rookies in 2011. They have passed almost every regular season test.

For Dalton during those critical moments, however, fails miserably.

In 13 primetime and playoff games, the Bengals leader sports a terrible 3-11 record, capped off by his most recent playoff loss against the less than talented Indianapolis Colts. Dalton has thrown a total of 12 touchdowns, 17 interceptions and fumbled the ball a boatload of times in those all important matchups.

Stats are great, but winning is better – and winning is the quintessential mission statement of the quarterback’s job description.

Eli Manning is the perfect example.

Manning is far from a perfect quarterback. He has many faults. He makes bonehead plays on a routine basis; he turns the ball over; and his expressions after a dumb play make your scratch your head and come up with another hilarious meme.

However, when a play breaks down, or the moment is at its finest, Manning always comes through with flying colors.

He is at his best when the time calls for a franchise quarterback to be at their best. Dalton’s career has completely reversed that sentiment.

The question then obviously becomes: do the Bengals actually think Dalton can reverse his terrible big-game trend?

If they are thinking that, they’re fooling themselves. Four seasons is more than enough of a sample size.

Admittedly, finding a franchise quarterback might be the toughest job for a general manager in sports. The Bengals front office needs to move forward with an open mind.

If the task of finding another guy to replace Dalton is too tough, then so be it.

Do not make the mistake of thinking you’re cemented at the position. That’s even worse than not having a franchise guy all together. It strings the franchise along with false hope.

http://nflspinzone.com/2015/03/27/cincinnati-bengals-impossible-spot-andy-dalton/

I

So you're saying they wouldn't win a game outside their division?

The Bengals are far more talented than the Colts.I live near Indianapolis, and their games are on tv every week.They aren't that good.Luck,however, is very good.That's why they win.if he was on the Bengals,they would be in the AFC chmpshp game every year,instead of being one and done.

Cnbengal,Tell me where all this talent is on the Colts.Their def is avg at best,as is their rb.Their OL isn't anything great.Their best wr is closer to 40 than 30(Reggie Wayne)..They aren't that good.Andrew Luck is the reason they win.

I do tend to agree that the Colts had a pretty marginal roster last year.  Boom Herron as your lead tailback makes the team pretty one-dimensional.  They did look very, very good when Bradshaw was healthy.  The defense is just about average.  Vontae Davis is one of the best press-man corners in the league, but he lines up on the opposite side of the Z receiver, which is usually the teams best receiver.  Luck, Hilton, and those TE's made the team tick.  They should have some better support this year, especially if Frank is healthy.  I think if you traded Andy's, this Bengals team is a heavy SB contender favorite and the Colts are probably neck and neck with the Texans.

Playing the Titans and Jags 4X a year certainly helps though.  Although I think the Jags will be on the upswing soon.

Good news for Bengal fans is that the heat is going to be on 14 this year and throughout the rest of his contract.  Bad year this year probably see's his HC fired and a new regime coming in which could and probably start it all over with a new guy.  He plays well and we all win.  I want nothing more than him to prove me and a lot of other people wrong.  Think he has what it takes because I've seen him do it at certain times.

What about the regular season game where we couldn't make a first down?

You mean the one where Tate, Sanzenbacher and Sanu were the starting WRs

and Bernard was the starting RB and Hill had 4 rushes? 

They were missing AJ Green, Burfict, Maualuga, Lamur, Eifert and Thompson. 

Cnbengal,Tell me where all this talent is on the Colts.Their def is avg at best,as is their rb.Their OL isn't anything great.Their best wr is closer to 40 than 30(Reggie Wayne)..They aren't that good.Andrew Luck is the reason they win.

I'll admit the talent level on cincinati is greater than Indy, when healthy, but what can't be ignored is when they played in the playoffs, health wise, Indy was the more talented team. most of our best players were out or limited.

Their best WR is TY Hilton and he is far better than anybody the Bengals had healthy in the playoff game (Sanu). 

Both of their TEs are far better than Kevin Brock who started the playoff game for us with both Gresham and Eifert out. 

We were outgunned that game. Luck outplayed Dalton (Luck made a couple incredible throws) but he also had way more open guys than we did. We also couldn't get the ground game going at all (and didn't do very well stopping their run game) which shouldn't have been the case if we were vastly more talented than them in the trenches. 

You mean the one where Tate, Sanzenbacher and Sanu were the starting WRs

and Bernard was the starting RB and Hill had 4 rushes? 

They were missing AJ Green, Burfict, Maualuga, Lamur, Eifert and Thompson. 

Burfict, Maualuga, Lamur, and Thompson don't play offense so they didn't have anything to do with out inability to move the ball. Eifert missed 15 games obviously including some where the offense worked reasonably well. Not having AJ is big but Sanu stepped up in other games AJ missed. Only giving Hill 4 carries was poor strategy. 

Their best WR is TY Hilton and he is far better than anybody the Bengals had healthy in the playoff game (Sanu). 

Both of their TEs are far better than Kevin Brock who started the playoff game for us with both Gresham and Eifert out. 

We were outgunned that game. Luck outplayed Dalton (Luck made a couple incredible throws) but he also had way more open guys than we did. We also couldn't get the ground game going at all (and didn't do very well stopping their run game) which shouldn't have been the case if we were vastly more talented than them in the trenches. 

Luck also had ALL DAY to throw while Andy was under constant fire. Defenses and O-Lines win championships. 

The O line was fucking atrocious in the Colts game.

I'd have to see it again but IIRC it was more nobody getting open. Throwing it away down after down isn't a good option. Then again neither is a pass-happy scheme with Sanu as your #1 WR.  It was like Hue was suffering from that Bratkowski outsmart-yourself disease like "They'll never expect me to do something idiotic. Brilliant!"

I wish they would've gone 2 RB and a pick your poison approach running Hill or checking down to Gio.. But WTF do I know.

Archived