BACK UP YOUR CELLPHONE!! SERIOUSLY....WTF?

What excuse is there for not having your things backed up?

Life and death photos you cant lose, important business text messages, etc..

know your apple ID email address and password. Know your google/gmail login information...

this is important stuff.

far too much of my day is spent arguing over this.

there are a HUGE amount of ways to back up your stuff.

APPLE:

iCloud, 5GB free, 20GB is 99 cents a month. seriously less than a dollar. for 20GB of storage.. for $4/mo? 200GB... 200!!!!! backs up a mirror image of your stuff, $48/year is worth every penny contacts, apps, photos, videos, SMS, settings, wallpaper, EVERYTHING...

Dropbox: will auto backup whatever you ask it to. Multiple storage options, but if you get to spending, apple is cheaper.

Shoebox app: unlimited photo storage backup, shrinks to web quality for FREE account, or $5/mo for unlimited full res storage.. 

Amazon Drive: backs up photos, unlimited storage for Prime customers

Google, can sync contacts, etc.

Plug into itunes once a week, does a mirror image backup..

ANDROID:

Google will sync contacts, google+ will sync photos, etc.

Drop Box: same as above

Shoebox app: I assume it works for android as well.

Amazon drive: same as above.

WINDOWS: i have no idea.. 

in no way shape or form is it your phone carriers responsibility to maintain YOUR data...

in the day of flip phones and contacts, i get it...they had a machine.. i get it...

90% of people arnt doing this..

if ANYONE needs any help or advice or just curious about any of these options i can do some tutorials and screen shots..

totally happy to help... but be proactive.. and do something before your phone dies, or gets lost, or falls in the tub or toilet...

youll be glad you did.

PS: yes there is a deductible for phone insurance.. like every other insurance ever sold ever... and its probably $100-200...

PSS: no you didnt pay less than that for your phone, the phone probably cost $500-1000, and was subsidized due to signing a contract..

#endrant

Microsoft OneDrive: Free 20gb of storage for simply signing up for an email account at outlook.com, plus they will give you an extra 5gb if you allow it to backup your photos. Works in iOS and windows, not sure about android.

I use iCloud, google+ for photos, and OneDrive for photos so I have 3 backups at all times. Plus I plug my phone in once per week to get a full backup...

Question about backing up phones...

2 weeks ago I got a new iPhone 6. I previously had a 5. I haven't backed up my old phone onto my new phone yet. If I were to do that now, would it replace everything I have redownloaded on my new phone, replace my new pics, etc, or will it just add to it?

Also is there a way to backup just part of your phone and not the whole thing? When I try to back up my phone it says it is too large or something...

Question about backing up phones...

2 weeks ago I got a new iPhone 6. I previously had a 5. I haven't backed up my old phone onto my new phone yet. If I were to do that now, would it replace everything I have redownloaded on my new phone, replace my new pics, etc, or will it just add to it?

Also is there a way to backup just part of your phone and not the whole thing? When I try to back up my phone it says it is too large or something...

i assume you mean backing up to icloud? buy more icloud space. literally 99 cents a month will give you plenty.

then it can back up everything..

you have two options in restoring..

1. when the new phone is first turned on it gives you the option to restore from itunes, icloud, or start as new phone, if you do icloud, youll get a mirror image of the old phone on the new one.. this is ideal. if this is what you want, hard reset your phone, settings=general-reset-all content and settings. then during the setup, restore from icloud (AFTER you have upgraded your icloud space and done a backup on the old one, via wifi).

2. just logging into your icloud on the new phone will so a "sync" of data, so photos, contacts, etc that have already been backed up will show up on the new device leaving it as is but adding to what you have already put there..

Microsoft OneDrive: Free 20gb of storage for simply signing up for an email account at outlook.com, plus they will give you an extra 5gb if you allow it to backup your photos. Works in iOS and windows, not sure about android.

I use iCloud, google+ for photos, and OneDrive for photos so I have 3 backups at all times. Plus I plug my phone in once per week to get a full backup...

Onedrive works for Android too

Archived