WOW, I don't believe it, "Blank" fell to 21!!!!

With zero reality involved? Mine would be Mariota. I'm not a Dalton hater but am resigned to him being something like the 20th best QB in the NFL (give or take about 5 spots). I understand it's really, really difficult to upgrade QB when you're drafting in the 20s.  

However, in this dream scenario, having a QB the caliber of Mariota locked up for the next 4 years at less than $2M per year would be a massive boost to the team even if he ends up being only as good as Andy. They could cut Andy and have $50M of QB savings over the next 4 years to extend other guys or pursue an outside FA. Just the financial aspect of the pick would be massive.

Oc course there's also the very real possibility that he'd be a big upgrade at QB. And obviously it's super valuable to have the potential upside of a legit young franchise QB, by far the most valuable commodity in the game. 

(I'd take Mariota over Winston but the two are close.)

Leonard Williams, just ever so slightly above Amari Cooper.

Two things...

Randy Gregory's a tough fit in the Bengals 4-3. That said he might be talented enough that you alter the entire defense for him.

If DGB goes at 21, he will not have "fallen". That's about where he should go when you consider all the variables. His physical gifts are undeniable, but AT BEST, he's slightly better than Kevin White and Amari Cooper - not head and shoulders above them. If his red flags make him the third best receiver, 20-ish is about right.

They just happen to be the best two players imo ... without their "knuckleheadedness" I think they'd both be top 5 picks.

They may be top 5 or 10 without the character issues, but imo the best players in this daft are Williams, Fowler, and Winston.

Two things...

Randy Gregory's a tough fit in the Bengals 4-3. That said he might be talented enough that you alter the entire defense for him.

If DGB goes at 21, he will not have "fallen". That's about where he should go when you consider all the variables. His physical gifts are undeniable, but AT BEST, he's slightly better than Kevin White and Amari Cooper - not head and shoulders above them. If his red flags make him the third best receiver, 20-ish is about right.

Two things...

Randy Gregory is so confusing for me. People keep telling me exactly what you said but I saw his change of direction and athleticism and I dont see a reason he couldn't even play WLB. 

Randy Gregory is so confusing for me. People keep telling me exactly what you said but I saw his change of direction and athleticism and I dont see a reason he couldn't even play WLB. 

I don't think he's a tough fit.   I think it becomes a question of do you use the pick at 21 just for a 4-3 LB, do you commit to change your scheme enough to get high value stats out of him (sacks, hurries etc.)?

Do you risk him becoming the next Pittsburgh Hall of Fame defender?  

If he lands at 21.   You either take him or let some team trade up in front Pitt to take him. 

Dream scenario.

Jameis Winston gets caught attempting to steal a couple of dozen sand dabs the night before the draft.

Still on the board at #21.

Bengals pass on him to select 4th best OT.

The following day Hobson article explains how they had a plan and stuck to it.

Dream scenario.

Jameis Winston gets caught attempting to steal a couple of dozen sand dabs the night before the draft.

Still on the board at #21.

Bengals pass on him to select 4th best OT.

The following day Hobson article explains how they had a plan and stuck to it.

Can't have more than one Winston on this team. Genius!

I don't think he's a tough fit.   I think it becomes a question of do you use the pick at 21 just for a 4-3 LB, do you commit to change your scheme enough to get high value stats out of him (sacks, hurries etc.)?

Do you risk him becoming the next Pittsburgh Hall of Fame defender?  

If he lands at 21.   You either take him or let some team trade up in front Pitt to take him. 

Look at his change of direction 2:38 on....I think that is stud level fluidity. 

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/media-lounge/videos/Full-Combine-Workout-Randy-Gregory/48ccaf18-a06b-4fc8-a10a-5a1305199d81

Look at his change of direction 2:38 on....I think that is stud level fluidity. 

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/media-lounge/videos/Full-Combine-Workout-Randy-Gregory/48ccaf18-a06b-4fc8-a10a-5a1305199d81

His athleticism IS off the charts.  The thing is that the kid likes playing with his hand in the dirt, chasing quarterbacks.  In a 3-4, I think he's pretty close to "can't miss".  He can't play end in a 4-3.  Period.  He MAY be ABLE to transition to linebacker.  And he MAY be WILLING to drop into coverage two-thirds of the time.  Forecasting success at a completely new position is a pretty big gamble when you're talking about a first round pick.  I suppose, in a 4-3, he could be the next Dwight Freeney, but you'd never find out if Gregory came to Cincinnati.  The prospect of a DE that doesn't play the run in a Marvin Lewis defense is LAUGHABLE.

If the Bengals were to take him, they wouldn't necessarily have to switch to a 3-4, but they'd at least have to commit to blitzing him off the edge.  That's something they just don't do.  When they commit linebackers, it's generally right up the gut.  Whether that's more scheme driven, or more about personnel deficiencies is something you'd have to ask the coaches.  The fact is, they haven't done it much in the last ten years.  

Jameis.  Best pro-prospect quarterback since Andrew and probably Carson before him.  He is a guy who will likely have some growing pains, but can come in day 1 and run a pro-style offense.  Has the size and athleticism to avoid players in the pocket like Ben.  Does have some immaturity issues obviously, but reportedly has football knowledge that is off the charts.  I do not think it would make us a better team this year, but would give us a franchise quarterback for years to come.

Archived