Round 2 big board

Marvin: "Tell me about this guy."

Scout: "Big, fast, runs like the wind, great football instincts. Will improve whichever team drafts him as soon as the card is turned in."

Marvin: "Is he in an iron lung?"

Scout: "What? No."

Marvin: "Is he dying?"

Scout: "...what the fuck, coach, no, he's a healthy living human being."

Marvin: "Cross him off. Don't want him. Find me a guy where a safe just fell on his head. That's the kind of player we need - the one who might help, someday. Maybe get an HBO Real Sports profile out of it. Bonus points if he has tuberculosis. Shoo. Get on out of here, find my guy."

We need a QB   :help:

I've got the perfect guy for you two....

connor-halliday-takes-bleak-look-ahead-to-nfl-draft-after-injury

Should have no problem getting him with one of the next couple of picks.

1. DT Goldman
2. DE Gregory
3. WR DGB
4. LB Kendricks
5. S Collins
6. WR Strong
7. WR Smith
8. DE Odighizuwa
9. LB McKinney
10. LB Perryman
11. DE Smith
12. DT Davis
13. TE Williams
14. DE/OLB Harold
15. WR Lockett

1. DT Goldman
2. DE Gregory
3. WR DGB
4. LB Kendricks
5. S Collins
6. WR Strong
7. WR Smith
8. DE Odighizuwa
9. LB McKinney
10. LB Perryman
11. DE Smith
12. DT Davis
13. TE Williams
14. DE/OLB Harold
15. WR Lockett

11. DE Smith
12. DT Davis

I think one of  these  guys available which is fine with me.  The others will be gone unless we trade up me thinks.

Guys I'd take that will go in this round:

EDGE: Gregory, Harold, Odiggy

DT: Jarrett, Davis, Bennet
LB: Dawson, Kendricks, McKinney, Perryman

The most glaring problem that I see is that our defense is absolutely the weak spot on our team right now, and Marvin rightfully pointed to it as the reason for our playoff losses.  

I just don't see how we can wait to address that side of the ball until the 3rd round, regardless of the player that may be there.  I would have rather reached a little for a Defensive impact player (LB, DT, EDGE) in the first than taken an OT that would sit so that we wouldn't find ourselves in this situation (and could take a DGB or Lockett or Walford in the 2nd), but now I don't know how we do.  

Unless of course we're just drafting for the future and NEXT year will be the year we improve the defense...sigh...

I can't say I like the Preston Smith pick.  I love the player, but after taking MJ I don't know that he brings anything we don't already have, and furthermore I don't know that he'd get many meaningful snaps.  

I was even for drafting an OT in 1 this offseason if we'd gone out and signed a premier pass rushing DE.  But MJ is an underwhelming solution at that spot and now I feel we are insufficiently improved on both sides of the ball as a result.  

I find myself hoping the Bengals are thinking player trade to get more picks at this point (with Boling my #1 target), because I don't know how else we are going to get the level of players I was hoping for now that we have to make up for the 21st pick being spent on a backup.

Just watched some Dawson video. He plays a lot like Burfict though not quite as big/powerful. 

He's been eyeballed by the Bengals among others. Dawson is Dawson. Wish I could compare him to Taz but Dawson is healthy and has no red flags that I am aware of...

My mere desire to obtain Dawson will more than likely cause him to be charged with murder or something...

Dawson is a more legit WLB than burfict IMO, in terms of prototype.  Still, what both have in common, which makes them so attractive, is that they have football smarts that more than overcomes any athletic limitations they have.  #1 trait for a lb is being able to sniff out the play and be there to keep it from developing. I've never seen better than Burfict, and Dawson has some similarities in that regard. 

Archived