A.J. McCarron: Bengals' Heir Apparent?

A.J. McCarron: Bengals' Heir Apparent?
  by Anish Kapil 1d ago

There is a significant part of the Cincinnati Bengals‘ fan base who have no regard for Andy Dalton. He has become, with Marvin Lewis, one of the faces of ineptitude for the recent playoff failures. Many fans have resigned themselves to the fact as long as Dalton is at the helm, the Bengals will not be successful. Terrelle Pryor has been a career back up, as has Josh Johnson, so neither candidate will threaten Dalton’s grasp on the starting quarterback job. Could the finally healthy A.J. McCarron be an option to unseat the consistently criticized Dalton?

A.J. McCarron is the mystery man for the Bengals, being drafted in the fifth round from the University of Alabama. Bengals fans had their interest piqued, hoping for a competition with Dalton. Unfortunately, McCarron barely got on the field as his sore shoulder precluded him from taking any reps with the team in 2014. The only numbers we can judge McCarron on are the collegiate level ones he accumulated with the University of Alabama.

A.J. McCarron is a three-time National Champion with Alabama, starting for the Rolling Tide every game of his career. His statistics are impressive, totaling 9,019 yards with 77 touchdowns and only 15 interceptions. Andy Dalton, in comparison, had 10,314 yards with 71 touchdowns and 30 interceptions. After researching those numbers, I have to admit I was a bit surprised by the amount of touchdowns McCarron had. He came out very strongly against Nick Saban and his control over the offensive coordinator.

Now that we have all the statistics out there on A.J. McCarron, does he warrant a claim on the Bengals starting QB job? The unrest with Dalton mainly stems from the lack of success in postseason action, with the team’s record being 0-4 under Dalton. His statistics throughout his four years as starting quarterback have been uneven. The lowest amount of interceptions thrown by Dalton was 13 in his rookie year. He is essentially a middle of the road quarterback statistically who has led his team to the playoffs in four consecutive seasons.

With the lack of information/experience Bengals fans have with McCarron, would he be a significantly better option versus Dalton? This situation seems to be the case of “I love what I don’t know.” Bengals nation is intrigued and fascinated by the new guy, while not truly appreciating what we have currently. In my opinion, you should go with the player you know for this particular situation.

A.J. McCarron has yet to prove any ability on the football field let alone practice with the team. While McCarron will finally get his chance to play on the field, even his coaches are tempering expectations. I certainly admit to experiencing frustration with Andy Dalton and his ineptitude in the playoffs. But let’s not discount the consistency of Dalton and his ability to lead the Bengals to four straight playoff appearances.

Considering the history of the Bengals string of terrible quarterbacking, I am going to keep the known commodity on the field. But here is the last point to consider in this debate: the fact we are having the conversation to remove a four-time playoff performer should make Dalton feel very precarious about his position with the Cincinnati Bengals moving forward.

http://stripehype.com/2015/05/21/aj-mccarron-heir-apparent/

How ever will they replace a noodle arm, bad decision making, avg athlete at QB?   Going to be SO difficult.  I say let's just ride out Dalton for the next 10 yrs because there's a chance the next person may be not better.  I'm so afraid to take risks.  I"m just glad it's not the '90s again.....

Trauma is a hell of a thing...

How ever will they replace a noodle arm, bad decision making, avg athlete at QB?   Going to be SO difficult.  I say let's just ride out Dalton for the next 10 yrs because there's a chance the next person may be not better.  I'm so afraid to take risks.  I"m just glad it's not the '90s again.....

Trauma is a hell of a thing...

pooh1.jpg

Two drafts have gone by and we haven't grabbed a QB with a remote chance to replace Dalton. Missed opportunity on multiple fronts. Therefore, Dalton can play the same and fail in the playoffs and still remain safe for 2016 as there's no real Plan B in place.

The Patriots so clearly show every other team a value plan for drafting QBs yet soP & company still don't get it.

Only 3 National Championships?    Hack.

Are you suggesting we put additional pressure on our 5th year veteran QB?   

LOL, are you suggesting he might wilt under pressure? When has he ever done that?  :ninja:

I think at one time Drew Bledsoe was a solid starter, but ask Tom Brady how that worked out. Also could ask Kurt Warner if he thought he would start over Trent Green, or when Rodgers went down, remember the 5 TD game Matt Flynn had? Or how about the jumpstart to a starting career that Matt Cassell had when Brady went down?

All I'm saying is don't discount a player until you've seen them play. Dalton is mediocre, anyone can see that. He get's the job done most times, but who here honestly believes he is a true franchise QB?

Two drafts have gone by and we haven't grabbed a QB with a remote chance to replace Dalton. Missed opportunity on multiple fronts. Therefore, Dalton can play the same and fail in the playoffs and still remain safe for 2016 as there's no real Plan B in place.

The Patriots so clearly show every other team a value plan for drafting QBs yet soP & company still don't get it.

Who do you suggest they should have taken in the 2015 draft?

Curious where the missed opportunity was this year...

I was laughing at all of you asshats who thought McCarron was the second coming when he was past on 150 something times in the draft and I'm laughing at you all even louder now.

#desperation.

Tom Brady was passed over 198 times.
Terrel Davis was passed over 195 times.
Antonio Brown was passed over 194 times.
Shannon Sharpe was passed over 191 times.
Matt Hasselback was passed over 186 times.
Greg Hardy was passed over 174 times.
Richard Sherman was passed over 153 times.

Kurt Warner was not even drafted.
Neither was Tony Romo.
Or Vontaze Burfict.

Not sayin at all that McCooter has this kind of potential...but just sayin.

Tom Brady was passed over 198 times.
Terrel Davis was passed over 195 times.
Antonio Brown was passed over 194 times.
Shannon Sharpe was passed over 191 times.
Matt Hasselback was passed over 186 times.
Greg Hardy was passed over 174 times.
Richard Sherman was passed over 153 times.

Kurt Warner was not even drafted.
Neither was Tony Romo.
Or Vontaze Burfict.

Not sayin at all that McCooter has this kind of potential...but just sayin.

And you've hit on the .01% of guys who allow people to hold out with their irrational hope.  

Just sayin...

(and let's restrict this conversations to QBs, shall we?)

I was laughing at all of you asshats who thought McCarron was the second coming when he was past on 150 something times in the draft and I'm laughing at you all even louder now.

#desperation.

Please excuse a lot of us for having hope that we may have something special in McCarron.   We won't really know until we see him in a preseason game, will we?

And it seems very hypocritical that you would call us 'asshats' since you were one of the ones crying about personal attacks a few months ago.

AJ isn't the next Drew Bree's. He's just the next best option over Dalton when he flames out AGAIN.

Who gives a fuck about what people laughed at when they once touted Dalton as the next Drew Brees? I don't.

The issue he hasn't gotten it done.

Zero chance McCarron gets a shot this year, barring an injury or total collapse by Dalton. It's not like Andy has played very well, but he is firmly entrenched at least in 2015. Wishful thinking to expect otherwise.

Do I think McCarron could be successful if he had a chance to start? Maybe. He has shown in college that he can be a "game manager" and not make many mistakes. I think his experience playing in the SEC and National title games is a plus. It's not debatable that his arm is far from ideal and he played with an incredible supporting cast in college. I don't think the job would be too big for him. Again, Dalton hasn't exactly set the bar very high with his recent play.

Zero chance McCarron gets a shot this year, barring an injury or total collapse by Dalton. It's not like Andy has played very well, but he is firmly entrenched at least in 2015. Wishful thinking to expect otherwise.

Do I think McCarron could be successful if he had a chance to start? Maybe. He has shown in college that he can be a "game manager" and not make many mistakes. I think his experience playing in the SEC and National title games is a plus. It's not debatable that his arm is far from ideal and he played with an incredible supporting cast in college. I don't think the job would be too big for him. Again, Dalton hasn't exactly set the bar very high with his recent play.

I completely agree. There's just nothing to go on with this guy other than collegiate play and we all know how limited that can be in the NFL. Still, I'd at least like the groundswell of fan support against Dalton and for McCarron to push Andy to be better. 

Archived