Hawk perched on familiar ground in Bengals defense

Hawk perched on familiar ground in Bengals defense

Posted 5 hours ago

hobson60x60.jpg Geoff Hobson Editor Bengals.com

052615-rey-vincent-art-1.jpg

Vincent Rey enjoyed working with newcomer A.J. Hawk in the linebacker corps.

This is why the Bengals signed veteran linebacker A.J. Hawk in free agency and why they drafted Texas Christian linebacker P.J. Dawson in the third round and why they’ve been close-mouthed about Pro Bowl WILL backer Vontaze Burfict.

They simply don’t know when he’ll be ready to play in the wake of January’s micro fracture knee surgery. His doctor said then they were shooting to make it back by July, but after Tuesday’s first practice of the spring voluntary season head coach Marvin Lewis said Burfict is going to rehab all summer long.

How that rehab goes is going to answer the question if he’ll be for training camp July 31. If not, the Bengals will then be faced with a decision. If he practices just once during camp, he’s not eligible to start the season on PUP and if he starts the regular season on PUP he’ll miss the first six weeks of the regular season.

All Lewis would say Tuesday is what we knew. He’s trying to beat the odds to be back by July and he’s a long way away. On Tuesday he worked on the rehab field and he looked OK running through the rope ladders on the ground, but it’s early in the process.

Enter Hawk, the 10-year veteran from Centerville, Ohio, Ohio State, and Green Bay. He began the day lining up in Burfict’s spot, and also played some SAM (which in this defense is basically the same thing), looking quite comfy in a 4-3 after playing virtually his entire career in a 3-4.

“We had some games at Green Bay we were never in the 3-4. You’re in nickel packages, which is like a 4-3, a 4-2 or whatever. Football is football, I think, when it comes down to it,” Hawk said after practice. “Something that is different is if you’re an outside backer in a 3-4 you’re a D-end basically that has to drop. So the guy who is transitioning from a 4-3 D-end to a 3-4 outside backer, yeah that’s a tough transition. But the inside spots, they’re not exactly the same but it’s still football. It’s not hand down, hand up and that whole thing.”

Vincent Rey, who lined up at middle linebacker, had a huge smile after working with Hawk for the first time. Rey worked the middle Tuesday because Rey Maualuga was on the rehab field for what was believed to be a minor tweak and is expected to return Wednesday.

But it gave defensive coordinator Paul Guenther a chance to unveil his method of rotating everyone. After a devastating spate of injuries levelled his depth chart last season, Guenther made up his mind his reserves won’t be so inexperienced this season.

“One thing I learned last year is you have to make sure the backup guys are ready to go so there’s going to be some guys working in with the first group, second group,” Guenther said. “We really don’t have groups right now. We have 11 guys out there. “

And one of them is Hawk playing in place of Burfict.

“It was good to be out there with him, just from communication,” Rey said. “He was talking all the time pre-snap. It was good because I felt comfortable. I’m saying, ‘This guy knows what the heck is going on.’ It was cool to hear.  Little stuff like, ‘Vinny, watch for this.’  It’s good because you’re more relaxed in your stance. Tez, Rey, they’re such good communicators. That’s what makes them good. He’s just like them.”

Dawson, the Big 12’s Defensive Player of the Year, was also getting time on the outside with the backups and they have high hopes for him. But Hawk gives them a starting caliber guy right away if Burfict can’t start the season.

“He’s real smart. Veteran guy, played in a lot of different defenses,” Guenther said. “So he’s picked up our defense really good. He’s playing all the spots. For a guy like that with his experience, it’s good to have a guy who’s been through it a lot to be through those things. 

“Right now we have him in one spot, but all our guys got to know because whoever is going next into the game it’s always the next best guy. He’s done a great job of picking up everything it’s natural to him. He’s played in the 4-3 before so it’s not like its alien.”

Hawk had low grades last year in Green Bay, but he was hobbled by bone spurs and feels like he can contribute more after having off-season surgery. On Tuesday he looked quick enough to drop into coverage, take away a passing lane to wide receiver A.J. Green, and force quarterback Andy Dalton to throw it away.

“Learn each position like they’re Xs on the board, not like it’s a MIKE, SAM, WILL linebacker,” Hawk said. “You’ve just got to know what everybody is doing basically so you can plug guys in wherever that may be.”

A lifelong Bengals fan growing up in Centerville, there couldn’t be a better fit. Not for what the Bengals need with the Burfict question hanging over them and not for what Hawk needs in most likely his last stop with a two-year deal at age 31.

“I feel very comfortable. I’ve said it before; it’s a great locker room. Guys are really competitive, really encouraging. A lot of camaraderie here,” Hawk said. “I noticed that from day one. I felt comfortable since I got here. Obviously I’m coming in as the old guy, which I happily welcome. I like that. I don’t want to be the 22-year-old anymore. I don’t claim to be the smart, wise old vet coming in here. I’m asking these guys questions just like a rookie. I’m learning the defense like these rookies are learning it. It’s my first time seeing it, too, when I looked at it a month ago. It feels good, honestly. It’s been fun. Going into my 10th year and learning a new scheme is different, sure, but I welcome the challenge. It’s been good.”

And there it is not just the defense that seems familiar.

“It’s something my wife jokes about. I’m from Ohio so I have a connection here with the people in Ohio,” Hawk said. “I like how people go about their way, how they work here. I think everyone is always looking for some kind of motivation. I’ve always been a guy who has motivated myself. I love the game. I love playing football but there’s a big difference. Everything is different. Not just the scheme but the schedule, how we run things, how practice is structured. It’s fun to see there are multiple different ways to run a team and do things. I love the guys at Green Bay. They do things first class and I’ve seen nothing but the same here.”

Hawk settling into new home with Bengals

Kevin Goheen FOX Sports Ohio

MAY 26, 2015 5:07p ET

PI-NFL-Packers-Hawk-121114.vadapt.955.hi
Mike Dinovo / USA TODAY Sports

After nine years with the Packers, A.J. Hawk is learning anew again.

CINCINNATI -- The No. 50 is the same. The helmet and practice gear are different but for A.J. Hawk he's where he belongs. Hawk is back home in Ohio, where his football roots are embedded.

"It's something my wife jokes about," said Hawk after finishing up his first organized team activity (OTA) with the Bengals Tuesday afternoon. "I'm from Ohio so I have a connection here with the people in Ohio. I like how people go about their way, how they work here. I think everyone is always looking for some kind of motivation. I've always been a guy who has motivated myself. I love the game."

OTAs are is the NFL version of spring football. Teams get to practice, although not yet in full gear. Still it's an important part of their development. They get to go from looking at diagrams in a playbook or on a computer screen and working on individual drills to actually putting those diagrams and drills to use in full squad fashion.

Hawk is learning anew again for the first time in nine years. He was the top pick of Green Bay in 2006 out of Ohio State, a linebacker who would help the Packers to seven playoff appearances and a Super Bowl championship. He and the Packers parted ways after last season. That's the business side of football.

Tuesday was about getting back to the football side of football.

Hawk isn't the first veteran linebacker to join the Bengals over the years. Dhani Jones was signed off the street a couple of games into the 2007 season after New Orleans decided he didn't fit into their plans. Jones ended up starting 57 games for the Bengals over the next four seasons and led them in tackles three times. James Harrison came over from Pittsburgh for one season in 2013 and melded right into the defensive scheme and locker room.

That's all Hawk is trying to do right now. Learn the scheme of defensive coordinator Paul Guenther and fit in with his new teammates.

"I feel very comfortable. I've said it before, it's a great locker room. Guys are really competitive, really encouraging. A lot of camaraderie here. I noticed that from day one," said Hawk, who signed as a free agent on March 10. "Obviously I'm coming in as the old guy, which I happily welcome. I like that. I don't want to be the 22-year-old anymore.

"I don't claim to be the smart, wise, old vet coming in here. I'm asking these guys questions just like a rookie. I'm learning the defense like these rookies are learning it. It's my first time seeing it, too, when I looked at it a month ago. It feels good, honestly. It's been fun. Going into my 10th year and learning a new scheme is different, sure, but I welcome the challenge."

Domata Peko was a fourth-round pick of the Bengals in 2006. He played against Hawk in college; Peko at Michigan State while Hawk was with the Buckeyes."I was always like 'Man, who's this guy here? A.J. Hawk, he's a beast.' And then watching him throughout the years at Green Bay, he had a heck of a career there," said Peko. "He brings a lot of value to our team as far as leadership and knowing what he has to do. Coming in as veteran, just like James (Harrison) came right in and did his job.

"He has that type of attitude. He's asking 'Peko, what can I do to make our team better?' and that's the type of attitude we like around here. That's good on his part to come in here and be hungry to get better. Even though he's the same as me, he's a 10-year guy, he knows that every year you've got to get better. You've never made it."

The Bengals could end up leaning hard on Hawk this season. Vontaze Burfict is coming off a knee surgery in January and it would be optimistic to believe he'll be ready to participate when training camp opens at the end of July or even be ready for the start of the regular season. Guenther found out the hard way last season that there is never enough depth.

So Hawk and every other linebacker is learning all three spots in the scheme.

"Right now we have him in one spot but he's going to be a guy, and all of our guys have to know, because whoever is going into the game is always the next best guy," said Guenther. "But he's done a great job of picking up everything. It's natural to him. He's played in the 4-3 before so it's not like he's alienated from it."

Green Bay had a base 3-4 defense compared to the Bengals' 4-3 but as is often the case with offenses deploying multiple receiver sets most defenses now play out of nickel or other personnel packages. Since Hawk played in the middle he didn't see much of a difference in his responsibilities.

"Football is football, I think, when it comes down to it," said Hawk. "We're all going to be rotating and playing almost every spot. I knew coming in from day one I've been trying to learn all three linebacker spots. To learn a defense best you need to know what everyone else around you is doing. That's what I've been doing, so that's been great."

http://www.foxsports.com/ohio/story/aj-hawk-cincinnati-bengals-paul-guenther-052615

Archived