Rex Burkhead's expanding role for Bengals can help him have breakout year

Rex Burkhead's expanding role for Bengals can help him have breakout year

CINCINNATI -- Knee-deep in the long march to training camp, we're taking a look this week at seven Cincinnati Bengals who could have breakout seasons in 2015.

Whether it's because of their young age, previous performance or other factors, these players haven't had a chance to become significant pieces of the Bengals' system -- until now. A couple ended up becoming regular contributors late last season, but they could become even bigger household names this fall. Let's start tracking a few reasons why.

After exploring Darqueze Dennard's promise for a breakout year on Monday, we focus next on:

RB REX BURKHEAD

Years in NFL: Two

When drafted: Sixth round (No. 190 overall), 2013

2014 stats: 9 rushes, 27 rushing yards, 7 catches, 49 receiving yards, 1 rushing touchdown, 5 special teams tackles

Why he's poised to break out: Simple. His coaches have been saying they want him to.

Since last season ended, Marvin Lewis and others on the Bengals' staff have lamented the way Burkhead was used during the first two years of his career. The bottom line: they just haven't used him enough. A versatile playmaker, in the limited time he has participated in the Bengals' offense, Burkhead has been both a runner and a receiver. It was during the Bengals' wild-card round playoff loss to Indianapolis that Burkhead emerged as a legitimate receiving option. The day before, the Bengals found out A.J. Green wouldn't be able to participate because of continuing concussion symptoms, and tight end Jermaine Gresham decided not to play because of a back injury. With Marvin Jones, Tyler Eifert and James Wright already missing, the Bengals had significant holes at their pass-catching positions.

So Burkhead was called out of the backfield and moved into the slot. After taking a reverse for 23 yards on the game's opening play, he caught three passes for 34 yards.

Regularly this spring, Burkhead appeared in the slot. He looked impressive, too, running routes and catch passes with safeties and corners lined up against him. Two of the biggest challenges he has had in getting reps as a slot receiver involve learning the more complicated route trees receivers have compared to running backs, and discovering ways to put moves on the quicker safeties and cornerbacks who have covered him. As a running back, he was more regularly covered by linebackers on passes out of the backfield. His moves in those matchups required power. At receiver, they require more finesse.

Though he could get more opportunities to catch passes, still look for Burkhead to have chances as a runner, too. He hasn't completely abandoned running back. But with the likes of Giovani Bernard and Jeremy Hill ahead of him, Burkhead probably won't see a significant jolt to his carries. Because of the backfield's numbers game, much of the increased production he's anticipating will have to come through the passing game. If the Bengals are true to their word about Burkhead, who turns 25 on Thursday, he will be more of a factor this season. The few extra touches won't make him a star, but they could make him an unique back-of-the-depth-chart weapon.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/17802/bengals-rex-burkhead-running-back-expanding-role-breakout-year

I love the fact that Burkehead is working on his versatility, but I don't think he sees the field other than for special teams unless their is an injury.

But since RBs get nicked up all the time it is good to have a guy like him ready to step in. 

I still stand by statement from a few years ago, I think Rex is a more complete back than Gio.  It's a shame we can't figure out how to get this guy on the field so he can prove it.

I believe a more apt comparison is Brian Leonard v. 2.0

I believe a more apt comparison is Brian Leonard v. 2.0

A quick google dredged up a predraft scouting report that compared him to Mewelde Moore.

Quick but not fast...weaker lower body....better laterally than upfield. 

Of note, predicted he'd be a valuable contributor in the passing game despite getting few opportunities.

4.7+ speed.  

Burkhead offers consistency, if given the opportunity.  He is smart with high FB IQ.  Like any RB, put him in the position to exploit his strengths.  examples of similar RB's that I see are  Danny Woodhead or Darren Sproles.  Not fast down hill runners, but they will make you miss and can catch. 

"Since last season ended, Marvin Lewis and others on the Bengals' staff have lamented the way Burkhead was used during the first two years of his career. The bottom line: they just haven't used him enough."

Hey, Marv...you are the fucking head coach and it took you and your staff 2 years to realize that?

Ha ha...did you really put a clip from OTAs or Training camp in there?  Yes, he's had a few nice plays, but overall he's underwhelming as a runner to me.  He's a solid player, but nothing special.  There's no way to know this, but I'd venture to say that if J. Hill came out first and we got him, we wouldn't have drafted Gio the next year.  

Ha ha...did you really put a clip from OTAs or Training camp in there?  Yes, he's had a few nice plays, but overall he's underwhelming as a runner to me.  He's a solid player, but nothing special.  There's no way to know this, but I'd venture to say that if J. Hill came out first and we got him, we wouldn't have drafted Gio the next year.  

Actually I meant to link another clip, not the training one. I agree with your last statement (the Hill one) but not the Gio is 'nothing special' one. I don't feel he is as good as Hill but even with Hill last season and missing 3 games Gio still had the 22nd most rushing yards among RBs. Not bad for a guy playing second fiddle to the 8th leading rusher in the NFL.

Nothing special? Cocaine is a Helluva drug.

Actually I meant to link another clip, not the training one. I agree with your last statement (the Hill one) but not the Gio is 'nothing special' one. I don't feel he is as good as Hill but even with Hill last season and missing 3 games Gio still had the 22nd most rushing yards among RBs. Not bad for a guy playing second fiddle to the 8th leading rusher in the NFL.

I didn't realize he still ended up 22nd in rushing, that's better than I would have guessed.  I recall during the season everyone was complain about running Gio up the middle.  If there's a back that can't run up the middle I can't consider him more than average when it comes to running the ball.  I think Gio is a valuable member of the offense if used correctly, which IMO, is running outside, catching screens and other short routes out of the backfield.  I like Gio, I just don't think he's great.

Nothing special? Cocaine is a Helluva drug.

Tell me more about this drug you're so familiar with

Seems like some New Toy Syndrome bs to me.. Hill doesn't make Gio a worse player.

I agree, Hill doesn't make Gio a worse player.  Gio averaged 4.0 ypc which was 24th in the league (for guys with over 100 carries).  All I'm saying is I don't think Gio's a great runner of the football.  He's an excellent receiver out of the backfield and he's dynamic in the open field.  He struggles running between the tackles and for a RB in the NFL that's probably where you're going to run 70% of the time if not more.  Jeremy Hill  has nothing to do with how I view Gio.

My original statement was I think Rex is a better all-around back than Gio.  Meaning I think Rex has the potential to be a better runner b/w the tackles (which is a HUGE part of an NFL running back's game) and possibly a better pass protector.  Gio will be better in space and out of the backfield, but I don't think Rex is deficient in those areas.  Rex to me has the potential to be a jack of all trades, master of none. 

I thought Gio looked decent running between the tackles his rookie season.  I just think they overused him early last year and he just broke down in that Colts game and never really recovered.  Dude had 32 touches in the Falcons game.  Yeesh.  He's more of a Sproles/Vereen type of back than a 15+ touches guy.

You might want to spin that around. Hill was the 8th leading rusher in the NFL in spite of playing second fiddle to the 22nd. In fact, if Bernard did not get hurt, Hill might still be a bench guy getting 3-6 carries a week.

That's how good the coaching staff is...

It is a mental disorder known as "Bernard Scott Syndrome".

HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED

You might want to spin that around. Hill was the 8th leading rusher in the NFL in spite of playing second fiddle to the 22nd. In fact, if Bernard did not get hurt, Hill might still be a bench guy getting 3-6 carries a week.

That's how good the coaching staff is...

From the people who brought you the "Every Other Series" RB rotation and the classic "Empty Backfield in the Red Zone!"

Situational playcalling - who needs it?

:33:

Archived