Eifert looks like a WR in this video

http://now.nfl.com/play/9c99dbe2-7a4d-4ea2-88ea-bc22ee427ca4?id=9c99dbe2-7a4d-4ea2-88ea-bc22ee427ca4?campaign=Facebook_Video_HoushCam

Man hes going to be a matchup nightmare vs linebackers and safeties.  Too fast for LBs and too big for safeties.  I guess the only thing he could work on last year was his quickness and its showing.  Please god let Eifert stay healthy.

I was thinking that Eifert was faster than Gresham, but when I looked up their combine numbers they are pretty much identical.

They were both 6'5" and ran a sub 4.7 forty.  Gresh was about 10 lbs heavier (261).  Eifert did 2 more bench reps, jumped half an inch higher and 6 inches farther,  He was about one tenth faster in the 3 cone and 2 tenths faster in the short shuttle.  So Eifert may have been a little more athletic, but not really enough to make any difference.

Gresh caught a lot of his balls close to the LOS and ran.  Tyler is going to catch his fair share down the field like he did at ND.  I didn't watch Gresh at OU, but in this offense he was our best in-line blocker and just never looked agile enough to be a move tight end like Tyler can be.  I watched quite a bit of Tyler at ND.  He is going to do some big things this year.

Remember our focus. A new weapon is cool, but I'd rather focus our gamebaround Hill and Gio. Its smarter and safer. Eifert needs to look like a tight end.

No. Scratch that. He can look like whatever. I just hope to hear these same praises about his blocking. That might be yet to come though.

He is no more physically gifted than Gresh was.  Gresh just had mental issues.

I don't agree. I think he's a faster twitch athlete than Gresh is. Gresh was a bruiser, Eifert is a floater. I think you'll see it this year.

Hopefully Eifert can stay healthy and have a good impact on the offense. The key will be using him in a better manner than they have used TE's in the past.

Will they try and turn him into a primary run blocker, as they did Gresham and only use him on shallow outs/sit down routes as well? We know Jermaine was good at getting YAC, will Tyler accomplish the same? More?

TE is loaded with questionmarls this season.

I don't agree. I think he's a faster twitch athlete than Gresh is. Gresh was a bruiser, Eifert is a floater. I think you'll see it this year.

Their gifts are a little different.  That doesn't mean one is necessarily better than the other.  As Fred posted their 40 times were very close.

I think your spot on.

Comparing 40 times between two guys just doesn't work.  If you want to do that, Carson Palmer ran a 4.65 at the combine where Jermaine Gresham ran a 4.66.  I don't think Carson Palmer was faster than Jermaine Gresham at any point of his life.  These guys train for months to get that number as low as possible and it doesn't always translate to speed on the field.

Tyler is going to be operating like a slot receiver this year.  Minimal blocking, a lot of route running.  That's why they brought Kroft in and its why Kroft is going to see significant snaps this year.  Tyler is going to be moved around to take advantage of mismatches and with his size/speed combo and he is going to win a lot of them.

I think your spot on.

Comparing 40 times between two guys just doesn't work.  If you want to do that, Carson Palmer ran a 4.65 at the combine where Jermaine Gresham ran a 4.66.  I don't think Carson Palmer was faster than Jermaine Gresham at any point of his life.  These guys train for months to get that number as low as possible and it doesn't always translate to speed on the field.

Tyler is going to be operating like a slot receiver this year.  Minimal blocking, a lot of route running.  That's why they brought Kroft in and its why Kroft is going to see significant snaps this year.  Tyler is going to be moved around to take advantage of mismatches and with his size/speed combo and he is going to win a lot of them.

While I agree that comparing 40 times is not a good practice, Fred's overall comparison has some merit.

I am curious as to why anyone thinks Eifert is a "faster twitch" guy, compared to Gresham. What are the aspects of being faster twitch? Is it muscle eudurance, 225 reps, mile times, etc... or maybe in explosive lifts like cleans, or broad jumps and verticals? I just want a clear definition.

I understand, as does any combine fan, that players train for the 40, but Gresham suffered from mis-use in Cincinnati. If Eifert is used in a similar fashion, he will have similar results, but is not as good a blocker. The scheming for having so much TE talent was terrible, and will hopefully improve soon.

While I agree that comparing 40 times is not a good practice, Fred's overall comparison has some merit.

I am curious as to why anyone thinks Eifert is a "faster twitch" guy, compared to Gresham. What are the aspects of being faster twitch? Is it muscle eudurance, 225 reps, mile times, etc... or maybe in explosive lifts like cleans, or broad jumps and verticals? I just want a clear definition.

I understand, as does any combine fan, that players train for the 40, but Gresham suffered from mis-use in Cincinnati. If Eifert is used in a similar fashion, he will have similar results, but is not as good a blocker. The scheming for having so much TE talent was terrible, and will hopefully improve soon.

It's the difference in movement. Eifert seems to be more quick, getting off the line, getting out of breaks, faster getting back to top speed. Gresham seemed to be more of a lumberer, slower off the line, taking a little more time to build to top speed. Gresh was also a part of his own mis-use in Cincinnati. I will admit though, I still wouldn't mind seeing him back, it would give Kroft a little time to grow.z

I just never saw much fluidity in Jermaine.  I definitely never saw 4.66 speed out there.  Maybe I shouldn't go as far to say he isn't a fast twitch guy since I think a lot of these guys in the NFL are fast twitch guys.  

I just don't think there was mis-use.  Have a very hard time believing 3 different offensive coordinators couldn't find a way to get him the ball further down the field if they didn't think he could do it.  Especially Jay and his pass happy offense.  He was good at what he was good at and I don't think that was a guy going deep (or remembering the snap count). 

Eifert won't be used the same way Jermaine was used.  Whether or not Kroft can produce what Jermaine did is a question that needs to be answer and thats the whole package of blocking/being a checkdown and breaking some tackles/hopefully cutting down on mistakes.  I don't think Kroft will be as effective considering the reports from TC.

It's the difference in movement. Eifert seems to be more quick, getting off the line, getting out of breaks, faster getting back to top speed. Gresham seemed to be more of a lumberer, slower off the line, taking a little more time to build to top speed. Gresh was also a part of his own mis-use in Cincinnati. I will admit though, I still wouldn't mind seeing him back, it would give Kroft a little time to grow.z

I like the idea of Jermaine coming back this year as well.  Seems like a win-win for me.  Jermaine gets to come in to a playbook he knows and FA without an existing injury and Kroft can sit, learn, and get a full year of NFL weight training.

I just don't think there was mis-use.  Have a very hard time believing 3 different offensive coordinators couldn't find a way to get him the ball further down the field if they didn't think he could do it.  Especially Jay and his pass happy offense.

There it is.

I'm going to reserve judgment on how Eiffert looks until I see him for more than one quarter...

Actually, I'm looking forward to watching him in camp this year. I've blown off camp since it moved back to PBS but really want to go this year. I'm waiting for the dates to be posted.

I like the idea of Jermaine coming back this year as well.  Seems like a win-win for me.  Jermaine gets to come in to a playbook he knows and FA without an existing injury and Kroft can sit, learn, and get a full year of NFL weight training.

I took that "man of many, many, many etc etc moods" comment as a "good riddance" from Marv.

I'm going to reserve judgment on how Eiffert looks until I see him for more than one quarter...

Actually, I'm looking forward to watching him in camp this year. I've blown off camp since it moved back to PBS but really want to go this year. I'm waiting for the dates to be posted.

Same here. From talking to a Bengals scout that I personally interact with, there was some serious offensive gameplans designed around Eifert....and then he got hurt...AGAIN.

His health is the biggest issue. We don't know what we haven't got if he's constantly on IR.

I just never saw much fluidity in Jermaine.  I definitely never saw 4.66 speed out there.  Maybe I shouldn't go as far to say he isn't a fast twitch guy since I think a lot of these guys in the NFL are fast twitch guys.  

I just don't think there was mis-use.  Have a very hard time believing 3 different offensive coordinators couldn't find a way to get him the ball further down the field if they didn't think he could do it.  Especially Jay and his pass happy offense.  He was good at what he was good at and I don't think that was a guy going deep (or remembering the snap count). 

Eifert won't be used the same way Jermaine was used.  Whether or not Kroft can produce what Jermaine did is a question that needs to be answer and thats the whole package of blocking/being a checkdown and breaking some tackles/hopefully cutting down on mistakes.  I don't think Kroft will be as effective considering the reports from TC.

The Bengals, under Lewis, have focused on run blocking being the first priority regarding the TE. We saw it with Reggie Kelly, then they turn that was with Gresham, in spite of his success as a receiver in college. When the got Eifert, that blocking TE was still there, and it allowed the Bengals to use Eifert for greater mismatches. Now with Gresham gone, someone has to step into the blockng TE role.

Unless the Bengals have finally opened their eyes under Hue and will use a receiving TE like Eifert properly. That is what we all are hoping for.

This last season with Hue was different, as the Bengals were obviously planning to use Gresham in the same blocking role and exploit the Eifert mismatches, but Eifert got hurt and then Gresham was nursing injuries as well. Fact is the Bengals plugged Gresham into the blocking role and Eifert in the receiving one, which would have been great as Eifert made for a better receiving mismatch and Gresham was the superior blocker.

I have no idea why people try so hard to bash Gresham when I was simply asking if the same coaching trends that surrounded TE's previous will continue with Eifert. Lets move on past that and simply discuss what is here, Eifert and the coaching staff.

Well they drafted Tyler to be a move tight end, not a complete tight end.  Drafting Kroft with a fairly high pick is a signal they plan to use him that way.  He's not going to be sitting in-line blocking.  He is going to be catching passes downfield and a lot of them at that.

Well they drafted Tyler to be a move tight end, not a complete tight end.  Drafting Kroft with a fairly high pick is a signal they plan to use him that way.  He's not going to be sitting in-line blocking.  He is going to be catching passes downfield and a lot of them at that.

I predict Kroft will play more than any other rookie this year, but he won't catch more than 20-25 passes,  And very few of them will be more than 5 yards downfield,

Archived