If you could change any 1 play in Bengals history, what would it be?

Saw this question regarding the Vikings on my twitter feed, and I thought it would be interesting for the Bengals.

So, what would your one play be?

Where Greg Cook got hurt?

Pete stuffed on 4th and 1?

Krumrie injury?

Billups dropped INT early in Q4?

Carson getting Kimo'd?

Something else?

What and why?

The 1 play?     Superbowl 23 -   1:15 left.   2nd and 20.   Bengals lead 16-13.   Ball on Bengals 45.

Montana hits Rice short.   Rice makes a great move and tacklers knock each off and he gets down past the 20.  

That's the play I would change to incomplete and take my chances on 3rd and 20 then 4th and 20 with a 3 point lead that late in the Superbowl.   Coffer had already missed 2 FGs with bad snaps and poor turf. 

I would change that over Billups and Pete Johnson.

Billups Intercepts there is still a whole QTR for 9ers to tie.   Pete Johnson scores, Bengals are still down. 

My play occurs with the Bengals leading in the Superbowl with a just over a minute left in the game. 

Carson's knee.  Born in '85 and after bleeding orange and black through 3-13 seasons, that's the only success I had known to that point.  It felt like it was the beginning of a special run.

Agree. While there are plays in the SB games that would have won it, I wasn't alive the first and don't remember the second. So I'd be able to at least say we've won one, but wouldn't have been able to live it.

Palmer knee easy answer for me.

Second after that would be the bomb by dalton to Aj in the fourth quarter of the second Houston game. He hits that and we win the game and maybe get the playoff monkey off our back before we even had it.

Third would be gio fumble vs San Diego.

Fourth probably the miss graham fg vs Pitt in 06.

Saw this question regarding the Vikings on my twitter feed, and I thought it would be interesting for the Bengals.

So, what would your one play be?

Where Greg Cook got hurt?

Pete stuffed on 4th and 1?

Krumrie injury?

Billups dropped INT early in Q4?

Carson getting Kimo'd?

Something else?

What and why?

Collinsworth fumbling at the goal line

Ken Riley batting down an easy pick-6 in the first quarter. Even he laments batting it down instead of going for the pick. Would have changed the entire complexion of the game and put the 9'ers in a hole early.

That said, I would still change the Kimo play, in its entirety, where neither Carson nor Henry were injured, mainly because it is still so fresh... 

**ETA** This team has way too many of these plays to choose from... :glare:

Gotta be the Billups dropped INT.  Was sitting in the Rec room of the Camp Gates border camp on the East German border watching the game.    It would have most likely sealed the victory but more importantly, maybe Billup's life would have taken a different course.  

Gotta be the Billups dropped INT.  Was sitting in the Rec room of the Camp Gates border camp on the East German border watching the game.    It would have most likely sealed the victory but more importantly, maybe Billup's life would have taken a different course.  

Agree 100%--if he had held on to that INT, there is absolutely no doubt that we would have won that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJFOBI1cZaM

I won't argue with any of those.  They're all deserving.

I'll throw another one into the mix...

How about April 17th 1999 - where the Bengals chose to make a play on Akili Smith with the 3rd overall selection rather than taking New Orleans' offer for all of their picks

I won't argue with any of those.  They're all deserving.

I'll throw another one into the mix...

How about April 17th 1999 - where the Bengals chose to make a play on Akili Smith with the 3rd overall selection rather than taking New Orleans' offer for all of their picks

Not sure about that.     It boils down to Akili Smith vs. Champ Bailey.   Which of course Champ much greater than Akili.   More than likely Champ tries to force his way out of Cincy like he did in Washington anyway.

The misconception about that trade is the assumption of the treasure chest of picks.   No team involved in the subsequent trading of those picks turned them into anything of significance.     The Skins traded around a bunch a lot with the Bears and some with the Broncos but no one his a gold mine.

I'm not sure that passed trade is a franchise changer it has often been described. 

The 1 play?     Superbowl 23 -   1:15 left.   2nd and 20.   Bengals lead 16-13.   Ball on Bengals 45.

Montana hits Rice short.   Rice makes a great move and tacklers knock each off and he gets down past the 20.  

That's the play I would change to incomplete and take my chances on 3rd and 20 then 4th and 20 with a 3 point lead that late in the Superbowl.   Coffer had already missed 2 FGs with bad snaps and poor turf. 

Billups Intercepts there is still a whole QTR for 9ers to tie.   Pete Johnson scores, Bengals are still down. 

My play occurs with the Bengals leading in the Superbowl with a just over a minute left in the game. 

Concur. Every play of the final drive. While sitting in that stadium that evening, I still cannot believe with two penalties involved they could get down the field:

San Francisco (3:20)
Johnson kick to goal line, Rodgers 15 return. San Francisco penalized 7 (half the distance) for illegal block. SF 8 1–10 (3:10) Montana 8 pass to Craig middle (Zander). SF 16 2–2 Montana 7 pass to Frank middle (Zander). SF 23 1–10 Montana 7 pass to Rice right (Billups). SF 30 2–3 Craig 1 run right (Barker). Two–Minute Warning. SF 31 3–2 Craig 4 run off right tackle (McClendon). San Francisco–first time out (1:54). SF 35 1–10 Montana 17 pass to Rice left (out of bounds). C 48 1–10 (1:49) Montana 13 pass to Craig middle (Barker). C 35 1–10 Montana pass to Rice incomplete. C 35 2–10 Montana 5 pass to Craig. Play nullified and San Francisco penalized 10 for illegal man downfield (Cross). C 45 2–20 (1:17) Montana 27 pass to Rice middle (Dixon). C 18 1–10 Montana 8 pass to Craig middle (Horton). San Francisco–second time out (:39). C 10 2–2 Montana 10 pass touchdown (:34). Cofer kicked extra point.

This

I'm not sure that passed trade is a franchise changer it has often been described. 

If that's the standard then it's got to be a choice between Cook or Palmer's injuries.

Because Cook couldn't come back at all he gets the nod from me.

Pretty sure Trumpy has joked about Cook's injury changing the destiny of two franchises, Bengals and Steelers.

Yeah, but I am trying to save Louis Billups life in the future, you just want a Super Bowl banner at PBS.  

In reality its a tough choice.  One thing I will say is our defense was starting to break at the end of the game.  Even without the Rice reception, Montana was starting to find his grove although 3rd and 20 is what it is.   Oh well, no reason to cry, no way Boomer and that crew wasn't getting back to another Super Bowl soon.

Concur. Every play of the final drive. While sitting in that stadium that evening, I still cannot believe with two penalties involved they could get down the field:
  San Francisco (3:20)
Johnson kick to goal line, Rodgers 15 return. San Francisco penalized 7 (half the distance) for illegal block. SF 8 110 (3:10) Montana 8 pass to Craig middle (Zander). SF 16 22 Montana 7 pass to Frank middle (Zander). SF 23 110 Montana 7 pass to Rice right (Billups). SF 30 23 Craig 1 run right (Barker). TwoMinute Warning. SF 31 32 Craig 4 run off right tackle (McClendon). San Franciscofirst time out (1:54). SF 35 110 Montana 17 pass to Rice left (out of bounds). C 48 110 (1:49) Montana 13 pass to Craig middle (Barker). C 35 110 Montana pass to Rice incomplete. C 35 210 Montana 5 pass to Craig. Play nullified and San Francisco penalized 10 for illegal man downfield (Cross). C 45 220 (1:17) Montana 27 pass to Rice middle (Dixon). C 18 110 Montana 8 pass to Craig middle (Horton). San Franciscosecond time out (:39). C 10 22 Montana 10 pass touchdown (:34). Cofer kicked extra point.

I think there's something in the back of my head that's blaming Horton but seems that it was just all round lame coverage on the last 49er drive. In other words, it wasn't just one play that day IMHO.

I'll personally take back the Palmer knee play.

I'm going with Pete Johnson at the Niners' 1 yd line.

I believe if Cincy scored that TD, they win the Superbowl.  Bengals held SF to nothing but FGs after the 1st qtr.  Bengals were moving the ball well in the 2nd half.  All the advantage would be to Cincy, trailing just 20-14.  That said...

People forget the other major mishap in SB16... Anderson's INT in the red zone in the 1st qtr.  Get that TD and Cincy wins.

==============================

Honorable mention...

Dalton doesn't overthrow AJ Green in 4th qtr vs Houston in 2012 WC game.  Cincy wins on late TD, playoff curse is broken, I get to enjoy some level of confidence in Andy Dalton.

On second thought, my choice is...

Paul Brown doesn't die.

Or... Mike Brown NEVER gets any front office position, ever.  Not before PB dies, not after he dies.  Not ever.

We then get to keep Wyche for another decade or more, and we never let go of Boomer Esiason.  Oh what great football we could have seen. 

==========================

Another option...

Bengals hire Bill Cowher over Dave Shula.  Double whammy!  Cincy gets SB caliber coach and Pitt gets...nobody.

You guys are all wrong.

I want a pick on the Montana to Taylor td.

All of the other choices MIGHT have given us a win, but a pick on the td play seals the victory for us.

Yeah,  I would turn the Taylor TD reception into an Interception.    I would make David Fulcher Interceptor and maybe he gets the MVP?

On second thought, my choice is...

Paul Brown doesn't die.

Or... Mike Brown NEVER gets any front office position, ever.  Not before PB dies, not after he dies.  Not ever.

We then get to keep Wyche for another decade or more, and we never let go of Boomer Esiason.  Oh what great football we could have seen. 

==========================

Another option...

Bengals hire Bill Cowher over Dave Shula.  Double whammy!  Cincy gets SB caliber coach and Pitt gets...nobody.

The issue was unrestricted Free Agency and the Brown family trying to gain true ownership of the franchise they built with a outdated financial stadium. 

A living Paul would have been on board with the money sucking activities that was the underlying foundation of the 90s.     Paul might have been able to make better draft picks/coaching hires that would have masked the non-competitiveness in the financial area.

For example:   Draft Troy Vincent instead.   That gives you 3 pro bowl draft picks (Vincent, Pickens, and Williams).   More help along the D that had other promising youngsters.    Retool around a declining but still competent Boomer.  Certainly don't hand it over to Dave Shula.  

I doubt they win a championship or surpass the success level of the 80s but it certainly helps them avoid the horrible record that created so much bad will that haunts the fan base today.   Probably eliminates the bitterness of Paul Brown Stadium issue.   Probably doesn't lose them fans in surrounding markets.

I think we might be overestimating the impact of 4th and 1.  After that stuff the Bengals forced a 3 and out, and scored a TD on the ensuing drive.

I agree.   The goal line stand and the Billups missed Int have always been the faces of missed championships for the Bengals.   I think both are overrated in the outcomes of those games.

The comedy of errors in the first half of Superbowl 16 ultimately killed them.   

Archived