Where are the extensions?

We have quite a few fa's at the end of the season. I am glad we got dre and zeitler through next year by picking up the options and we can still tag aj next year.

But where are the extensions? Its getting late in july where we would typically try and at least get iloka or some of the other fa's signed. I have still yet to hear any peep of extension talks with a lot of the key players that will be fa's at the end of the season. Id like to see aj and iloka get extensions soon. We have been saving all this cap room to retain everybody so lets start getting some of the talent locked down long term.

George Illoka would be my #1 priority for getting an extension. I think he makes the pro bowl next year and if we dont sign him now he could get really expensive. If we cant get AJ done we could always franchise him which would be around 14 million. That would give us more time to extend him. If I had to choose between the 2 to let walk I would honestly pick AJ. Dre Kirkpatrick is under contract for next season, but if he makes a jump like Im expecting hes going to need a big extension next offseason. That 14 million we would save by letting AJ walk could help lock him up. We just draft a WR in the 1st. Lockdown cornerbacks are much harder to find.

George Illoka would be my #1 priority for getting an extension. I think he makes the pro bowl next year and if we dont sign him now he could get really expensive. If we cant get AJ done we could always franchise him which would be around 14 million. That would give us more time to extend him. If I had to choose between the 2 to let walk I would honestly pick AJ. Dre Kirkpatrick is under contract for next season, but if he makes a jump like Im expecting hes going to need a big extension next offseason. That 14 million we would save by letting AJ walk could help lock him up. We just draft a WR in the 1st. Lockdown cornerbacks are much harder to find.

Yeah, guys like Kirkpatrick are impossible to find while AJ Green's are pretty much dime a dozen.

Aj has been a good receiver but even he dissappears in big games.

At the risk of being labeled an "AJ Defender" or some other dumb shit, I think it's again worth noting that this is a problem that's been lingering since long before AJ showed up & is perhaps not an issue with the players themselves.

At the risk of being labeled an "AJ Defender" or some other dumb shit, I think it's again worth noting that this is a problem that's been lingering since long before AJ showed up & is perhaps not an issue with the players themselves.

Do ya think Marvelous Marvin Lewis might have something to do with it?

Do ya think Marvelous Marvin Lewis might have something to do with it?

I think that's part of it, but I also think the expectation of them fucking up has become a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy.  That whole "playing not to lose" thing and so on.  In addition, and not that I know the guy, but as the owner MB's public persona has always screamed "perpetual victim" to me & I think that sad-sack bs rubs off on the organization in a big way.

I don't know, maybe they need to hold some kind of voodoo exorcism whatever thing at the stadium like NOLA did awhile back?

Obviously I'm on the outside looking in but it sure seems like a cultural problem within the organzation to me.

edited to add that I do think ML is wound way, way too tight these days. He paces the sideline like his wife is in labor.

Aj has been a good receiver but even he dissappears in big games. Usually gets shut down by #1 cornerbacks. In my mind he could be replaced for the 14 million hes going to cost.

False. AJ up his game in the most critical stretch of the season last year after the Cleveland melt down to put this team's playoff bid back on track.

Again, I think some Bengal fans think they get the extra cap room. Why are we so stingy? They'll be like 74 mil under next season pending cap growth.

False. AJ up his game in the most critical stretch of the season last year after the Cleveland melt down to put this team's playoff bid back on track.

Again, I think some Bengal fans think they get the extra cap room. Why are we so stingy? They'll be like 74 mil under next season pending cap growth.

The whole team played well the week after the Cleveland embarrassment. That saints game might have been the best team game this team has ever had. Dalton was dropping dimes, aj making big plays, D shutting down Bree's and hill going off.

If we can find a way to play like that consistently this team could be very good.

I am too lazy to prove it, but I call bullshit, unless you are taking vet numbers off the payroll without including resigning/replacement.

I am too lazy to prove it, but I call bullshit, unless you are taking vet numbers off the payroll without including resigning/replacement.

Call whatever you like. They are about 17 under now. Have about 110 committed already 2016.

Pending carry over and cap growth the could easily be 74 under. Right it's a solid 50 mil under with min cap growth.

With the Green Bay financials showing a peak in new TV sharing most think cap grows at a good pace next few years.

Since we are talking about extensions...Most are in agreement that if the Bengals can't resign Green long term they will use the Franchise Tag on him in 2016.

If they use their only available tag on Green which of the other 2016 free agents benefit the most during negotiations?

Probably Iloka. The safety tag isn't that high, probably around 8 mil. If he has another good season, his market value might be in that range. It would probably be lower but the team might pay an extra couple mil to keep him around for a year as a proven quantity instead of hoping Smith or Williams is ready to step up.

Archived