Bengals OC Hue Jackson: 'We're going to open Pandora's box more' on offense

FOX Sports

JUL 30, 2015 1:54p ET

082014-NFL-bengals-hue-jackson-hugs-andy
Al Behrman / AP

Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson says he has no fear when it comes to opening up the playbook with quarterback Andy Dalton at the helm. While Dalton is a frequent target of naysayers, Jackson says he isn't concerned with Dalton as much as everybody else is. 

"I understand that we haven't won a playoff game and that falls at his feet, and mine, too, and the rest of the offensive staff and players, as well," Jackson told the team's official website. "But he's done everything -- and I mean this -- he's invested everything that he can into preparing himself to be the best he can be for this season. And I'm totally behind him 100 percent, and I think he's going to have a great year -- not a good year, a great year."

So how will Jackson push his quarterback to the next level? He says he's going to build on the creativity the offense showed last year without key cogs like A.J. Green, Tyler Eifert, and Jermaine Gresham at various points throughout the season.

"We're going to open Pandora's box more," Jackson said. "We tickled it a little bit last year. We're going to open it up a little bit more this year and be who I think we can be … But I tell you what, the defenses are so good, the defensive players are so good and they disguise all the time, why can't we? It's a chess match, and whoever is not afraid to pull the trigger, pull the trigger. And I'm not afraid, so let's go.”

The Bengals finished the season ranked 15th on offense, but sixth in the run game behind the midseason surge of Jeremy Hill. Having Green, Eifert and red zone threat Marvin Jones healthy this year should make a big difference for Dalton and the offense. Heck, they might even be able to win a playoff game this time.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/cincinnati-bengals-hue-jackson-andy-dalton-open-pandoras-box-on-offense-073015

Correct me if I am wrong but I read that Pandora thing as a kid and I thought opening it was BAD.  Kind of like opening that mummy up in The Mummy and muttering some old words from a black book.

But think about it. You lose your #1 WR for the better part of 6 games, Gio is out for a couple, and 2 of your top 4 receiving targets are out for the year. This team still were ranked 15th! I don't see why anyone would get a lot better.

You hear this shit every year from every Bengals OC... and every year is about the same- very few new interesting wrinkles or plans of domination come together.

Also:
"We're going to open Pandora's box more," Jackson said. "We tickled it a little bit last year."

Who is this Pandora and how can I tickle her box?

FOX Sports

JUL 30, 2015 1:54p ET

082014-NFL-bengals-hue-jackson-hugs-andy
Al Behrman / AP

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/cincinnati-bengals-hue-jackson-andy-dalton-open-pandoras-box-on-offense-073015

ANDY:  "Hue, please tell me that's a cell phone in your pocket".

The first step for a team to successfully run trick/gadget plays is to be solid with the "regular" plays (everyone lining up properly and doing his job with no pre-snap penalties).  Hopefully the team has the proper focus. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the "what are they going to do next" aspect with the gadget plays, but I have grown weary of the "WTF were they trying to do?" when the play blows up.  Let's focus on making the offense click with the "regular" plays...and then sprinkle in the gadget plays to keep the defense off-balance.

[Just a grumpy old man's opinion.]  :liberalmedia:

Same.  15th rated offense isn't much to crow about.  OTOH he must feel like the team needs to hear all this rah-rah BS.

Damn, people here complain about the coaches not showing enough fire, and now they complain that Hue is showing too much fire.

So no matter what happens someone will be bitching and moaning about it.

Damn, people here complain about the coaches not showing enough fire, and now they complain that Hue is showing too much fire.

Fred, you've got this board figured out.

We could win the Super Bowl and people would be bitching about the INT Dalton threw in the game.

:no ninja:

I don't give a shit about coaches showing fire--I want to see the goddam PLAYERS showing fire!

They just needed content for the website and Hue obliged with some offseason drivvle.

One year it's about opening up the passing game the next year it's about the ground attack. And they sprinkle in that xyz running back slimmed down and looks sleek and fast followed by the next year when he beefs up and looks powerful and punishing.

These articles mean jack.

Well, when most of the time it's all bark, no bite it's hard to get excited. Few expect anything close to a Kurt Warner led Rams offense although we have the personnel.

Certain "someone's" always bitch and whine. It's just how they're wired.

Archived