Bengals ease Margus Hunt into camp, move him off active/PUP list

Bengals ease Margus Hunt into camp, move him off active/PUP list

CINCINNATI -- Doctors gave defensive end Margus Hunt the green light Tuesday to finally participate in the Cincinnati Bengals' training camp.

The third-year lineman had been shelved until this point, spending the first week of camp on the active/physically unable to perform list. While on it, he underwent a few agility drills as he made the final steps in his rehab from an April weightlifting injury to his back.

Although he was officially removed from the PUP designation, Hunt still didn't participate fully in the workout. While his teammates went through their second-straight day in full pads, he sported just his jersey and helmet as he was taken through limited individual drills.

Hunt said trainers liked the progress he's made within the past week.

"It was a lot better progress from what I thought and what they thought as far as how far along I was," Hunt said. "The conditioning tests [last Thursday], I was fully capable of doing that. There were no setbacks."

Players on the active/PUP and active/non-football injury lists are free to return at any time during the preseason, as long as they are medically cleared. Linebackers Vontaze Burfict, Sean Porter and Rey Maualuga, and rookie offensive tackle Cedric Ogbuehi are other players who could come off those lists at some point this month.

Hunt isn't sure when he'll be allowed to get into pads with his teammates, but for now, the plan is to continue to work through his rehab slowly.

"It's a day-to-day process," he said. "There's no point of trying to get back too soon and hurt it again and be set back for who knows how long."

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/18190/bengals-margus-hunt-training-camp-pup-list-ease-move

Archived