Bengals cautious, but hopeful for Vontaze Burfict's return

Bengals cautious, but hopeful for Vontaze Burfict's return

Pat Lovell-USA TODAY Sports

The Cincinnati Bengals are taking it very slow with linebacker Vontaze Burfict as he recovers from offseason microfracture knee surgery.

Burfict is chomping at the bit to get back on the practice field, according to defensive coordinator Paul Guenther, but the Bengals are taking a conservative approach. Plus, once Burfict takes the practice field, he's no longer eligible for the physically-unable-to-perform list, meaning the team would have to carry him on the 53-man roster even if he's not ready to return. 

"He’s progressing fast. He’s working his butt off," Guenther said after Wednesday’s practice per the team's official website. "I saw him over there in individuals and he wanted to hop in there (in team). I told him ‘No, No.’ There’s a certain protocol we have to follow. It’s a step-by-step process and once he passes the protocol and the trainers say we can ease him in there, we’ll welcome him with open arms."

It's unlikely that Burfict would play in Sunday's third preseason game against the Bears, and the final preseason contest is usually saved for backups to make one last case for a roster spot. 

If Burfict isn't activated off the PUP list before the season opener, he'll have to sit out the team's first six games, which Bengals radio analyst Dave Lapham says is a certainty. 

"and let's face it, no way Vontaze Burfict is playing the first six games of the season"-Lap

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/cincinnati-bengals-vontaze-burfict-paul-guenther-hopeful-for-return-082715

Lap usually has decent info so it looks like Taze is out the first 6 games.  Granted, I want him back healthy for the long run so if that is what needs to happen, so be it but our LBs are not exactly  lighting it up.

Hindsight is 20/20 but knowing how Atkins looked last year.   I think I would have rather had him PUP list for the first part of the season to build strength etc vs. available to play in those games.    He wasn't that big of a factor at all.   If they could have gotten 75% of real Geno down the stretch that would have been a big plus.

IF there's a chance to get the real Burfict the second half of the season that's going to be huge. 

If Vontaze is going to be completely healthy for even one of the those first 6 games I wouldn't PUP him. Our LB corps is lost and, atrocious without him.

If there is little chance in him having a setback I would agree.  The fact that PUP is being discussed (by Lapham) makes me think otherwise.

Archived