Giants_Bengals_Football_JPEG-0_22890620_

After you watch these two clips below it is hard not to really root for this guy and hope he makes the team. Basically he was the best player Div II football last year and broke every record out there. He has the measurables, 6'1, 240 lbs, 4.49 (40), 22 reps, 35 inch leap, 10'3 broad jump etc. When you watch the clips you also see he has a learning disability but is a visual learner so he's able to still play football by seeing it on the board. Sounds like a great teammate, person, very hard worker -- hell it's a made for TV movie just waiting to happen. I'd certainly cut Peerman for this guy, as I think he has shown flashes of true talent so far in the pre-season. When his coach that played with Walter Payton says he passes the eye test, you have to pay attention.

I hope you are wrong Le Tigre. I really like this dude. He has it all as far as size and speed. He wont last on our practice squad that's for sure. I like peerman and all but I'd rather go with Watson. I honestly say cut peerman if we had to. A guy like Watson has to be on your roster. There are plenty of Peermans in the league but not Watsons.

Few thoughts on Watson...

1. Every year there is a late round or undrafted guy who everyone says we have "no chance" of getting onto the practice squad. A couple years ago it was Cobi Hamilton. Last year it was James Wilder Jr. It looks like this year's guy is Watson. I'm not saying it's a slam dunk that he wouldn't be claimed added to some other team's 53 man roster, but based upon past history I think we probably could stash him on the PS without any problem.

2. In terms of the job requirements of the #4 RB, Peerman is the better option. He has to be available for some carries in case of an emergency (an injury or two to the top 3 backs), but his primary job is special teams. Peerman is the special teams captain. He's the primary punt protector (and a threat to carry it on the fake punt) and on all the coverage and return units. I don't think Watson has any experience as a special teamer.

3. Watson and Wilder are similar. As long as we can stash at least one of them on the PS as our 5th back who we can call up if there's an injury, we should be fine. Our 4 man veteran RB group is pretty much perfect. We have our stud lead back (Hill). Our change-of-pace big play threat (Bernard). Our do everything #3 (Burkhead). And our special teams stud (Peerman). 

I hope you are wrong Le Tigre. I really like this dude. He has it all as far as size and speed. He wont last on our practice squad that's for sure. I like peerman and all but I'd rather go with Watson. I honestly say cut peerman if we had to. A guy like Watson has to be on your roster. There are plenty of Peermans in the league but not Watsons.

If the Bengals think his skills translate, they may hide Terrell Watson on Thursday.  Nobody was high enough on him to spend a late pick, so if the Bengals don't add any tape, maybe they can sneak him onto the Practice Squad.  

Frankly, I didn't think James Wilder, Jr. would make to the PS last year, but he did.  It's hard to fuss about much that the personnel department has done in the last five years, but keeping Cedric Peerman baffles me.  As good as Peerman has been on teams, it's hard to imagine that Wilder couldn't fill that gap AND actually contribute to the offense when called upon.  Gio Bernard's already shown us that he can't be a 25 carry back.  Rex Burkhead is a similar type player.  If Jeremy Hill goes down, Wilder (or Watson, IMHO) would be a better 'bell cow'/big back option.  Keeping Peerman means that, behind Hill, you've got three undersized scatback-type guys.  There's not much sense in that.

If the Bengals think his skills translate, they may hide Terrell Watson on Thursday.  Nobody was high enough on him to spend a late pick, so if the Bengals don't add any tape, maybe they can sneak him onto the Practice Squad.  

Frankly, I didn't think James Wilder, Jr. would make to the PS last year, but he did.  It's hard to fuss about much that the personnel department has done in the last five years, but keeping Cedric Peerman baffles me.  As good as Peerman has been on teams, it's hard to imagine that Wilder couldn't fill that gap AND actually contribute to the offense when called upon.  Gio Bernard's already shown us that he can't be a 25 carry back.  Rex Burkhead is a similar type player.  If Jeremy Hill goes down, Wilder (or Watson, IMHO) would be a better 'bell cow'/big back option.  Keeping Peerman means that, behind Hill, you've got three undersized scatback-type guys.  There's not much sense in that.

that is exactly why I want him. You hit the nail on the head.

I've been saying that before I even knew who Terrell Watson was.  Gotta have a legit bell-cow backup behind J. Hill if this team wants to have a running identity.

OTOH, I do think he makes it to the practice squad if cut.  UDFA's just don't get picked up by other teams on waivers after their first pre-seasons (keep in mind, he has to get signed to another 53 man squad, and will have missed entirely on their off-season and preseason training). Whether he might get sniped off the PS DURING the season, however, is a slightly different matter -- but we could just be as likely to call him up bc of injury as anyone else..  

Cleveland would be nuts to pass on Terrell if we waive him.   Hell, they're considering bringing Ray Rice in!

We are in a really awkward spot, but it's a high class problem with too much talent.  Bernard, unfortunately, has woefully underperformed late last year and this pre-season.  You think Giovanni could play special teams as well as Cedric?  I don't.

if Gio was a UDFA and we were comparing solely on the basis of performance, this would be a no brainier.  

Not only has Terrell been a stronger runner, but he'd be 240 pound QB protector too.  

I just finished watching the Bears game.

Watson was all beasty again, but any tiny hope I had he might make the 53 man roster quickly evaporated during the interview with Duke Tobin.

Ain't no fucking way they're letting Peerman go.

It's the practice squad or bust for Watson.

Fred Jackson is on the market after playing lights out this weekend.  He'll go long before Watson. 

IMO the only way he makes it onto our 53 is if we go 9 OL, 5 WR, 3TE, 2 QB, and 5 RB...which isn't totally out of the question.  To me that would come down to Greg Little or Brandon Tate vs Watson. Sadly, I don't think the other returners showed enough this preseason to have them get rid of Tate, so we can hope Watson sticks on the PS. 

Fred Jackson is on the market after playing lights out this weekend.  He'll go long before Watson. 

IMO the only way he makes it onto our 53 is if we go 9 OL, 5 WR, 3TE, 2 QB, and 5 RB...which isn't totally out of the question.  To me that would come down to Greg Little or Brandon Tate vs Watson. Sadly, I don't think the other returners showed enough this preseason to have them get rid of Tate, so we can hope Watson sticks on the PS. 

what if we keep Watson and trade Gio for something we want? I heard it on ESPN yesterday by Mo Eggert and it made sense. Gio's roll has declined with Hill beasting. It's a luxury that we have Gio but we could keep Watson and get something we want from another team for Gio! 

what if we keep Watson and trade Gio for something we want? I heard it on ESPN yesterday by Mo Eggert and it made sense. Gio's roll has declined with Hill beasting. It's a luxury that we have Gio but we could keep Watson and get something we want from another team for Gio! 

I  mentioned that as a hypothetical in another thread here yesterday, almost burying my head in the sand it sounded so fickle and egregious. The fact that it's now being openly bandied about on the airwaves says something.

It's really amazing to me how many of you that were repping Gio, are now so ready to get rid of him.  I guess too may of you would rather have the "two in the bush" than the one in the hand.  So far, I've seen Watson doing well against a lot of guys that will be working beside some of you, and if we can keep him on the practice squad, great, but I've seen nothing that tells me we should get rid of Gio. 

I wouldn't think of cutting Gio. But if I could get something that addresses another serious need in a trade, I'd think long and hard about it. Obviously, if Watson were to make the team over Peerman, or if we were to keep 5 RBs (not counting Hewitt), then there'd be no need and you'd hope Gio would learn how to see the holes and set up his blocks again. If not, we have two other capable scatbacks who are more meaningful ST guys (Burkhead is a better receiver and Peerman a better ST everything), and we don't really have a bell-cow type to backup Hill. 

I'd be willing to take the risk of Watson making it through to the PS, but if I had inside info that he wouldn't I might have to consider other alternatives. 

I hope they give Gio a chance to shine against the Indy back-ups and evaluate him versus Terrell against similar competition.

Gio needs to bust a long run or at least rack up a 5 yd/carry performance.

I also want to pay attention to Terrell's catching skills.  Hope they dump a few shorties his way.

Here comes the Bengals public defender. No one is down on Gio. But Gio hasn't shown me much since his rookie season. I'm not writing him off but it's an idea that I heard on the radio and it was in interesting. Also why do you feel he would be working next to us? Why aren't you in it too? 

Archived