Bernard's Rushing Yardage

What the hell is wrong with Gio?  Here are his rushing stats for the 3 pre-season games:

Giants: 4 rushes for  5 yards

Bucs:   3 rushes for  8 yards

Bears:  3 rushes for  6 yards

TOTAL: 10 rushes for 19 yards

The second half of 2014 wasn't much better:

@IND 7  17    
 BAL16 45    
 @HOU17 45    
 @TB1049    
 PIT 6 17    
 @CLE1579    
 DEN 836    
 @PIT 38    
 @IND 3   6

They aren't doing a good enough job of getting him in space. Too many runs between the tackles. 

He ran between the tackles better his rookie year than now. I doubt the line blocks much different for Hill than BJGE. I mean Hip was the starter hearing into next year. You telling me we changed the entire blocking style midseason when Gio got hurt?

He ran between the tackles better his rookie year than now. I doubt the line blocks much different for Hill than BJGE. I mean Hip was the starter hearing into next year. You telling me we changed the entire blocking style midseason when Gio got hurt?

Just repeating something I've seen a few guys hit on. One being Andy Benoit and I really think he does a good job of breaking down film and explaining it.

And I agree that he was fine between the tackles as a rookie. If you can't run between the tackles then you don't belong in the NFL. Gio was fine then. He doesn't seem to have the same feel, vision or speed this year (and last year).

Like I said last year, Archie Griffin deja vu all over again.

He goes down with first contact between the tackles and isn't getting the edge when he tries to go outside

Catch the swing pass unless the other team is on to it (Cleveland) and then he gets killed.

Stats will be off because he will bust a big run on a broken play like ???'s sig on here.

I think you have to have Gio on a pitch count.    Not sure if that's what has been going on in the preseason of if he's really losing reps to Burkhead.

I hope he produces because I picked him up in the late rounds of the draft.    I think he went 2nd round last year. 

Does Gio dance, or he a straight north/south runner?  Hill and Burkhead are ideal because they both run between the tackles and do the dirty work like block and catch passes as well.    Gio is not big enough to be either (6'1, 230 and 5'11, 215, respectively.) and if his primary thing is perimiter and wheel routes.  He's willing at least when it comes to blocking.

Not to mention you figure the opposition know Gio's strengths as well as Hill's, sometime even more than we do.   If they really want a bit of a 1-2 punch they need to show Gio stuff that is suited for him.   Also what happened to actually using both Hill and Gio on the field at the same time?  Defense can't key off on just one or the other w/o someone else getting open.

I wish people were more honest. Gio has looked BAD. As in if he was someone else we would be talking about who is taking his spot. He has to show more. 2013 was a long time ago now

It's like he blew his load in the Miami game on that one run... 

If roster spots were/are based on performance, it would be goodbye Gio, hello Terrell.   I have a sick feeling that draft pick investments in Gio and Still (as well as charity/publicity) are going to result in roster selections based upon factors other than performance.

Gio is still a special player. Like any back, he needs touches. Hill took most of those and in the preseason the coaches are testing the other guys. He will help us during the season - mark it down. He takes some attention off Hill when they're both in together and he is a very good receiver too. You will be thankful we have him in the mix.

Gio is still a special player. Like any back, he needs touches. Hill took most of those and in the preseason the coaches are testing the other guys. He will help us during the season - mark it down. He takes some attention off Hill when they're both in together and he is a very good receiver too. You will be thankful we have him in the mix.

Agree, wholeheartedly.  1209 yards from scrimmage 1st year, and 1029 last year with missing some games.  What I'm I missing here, other than the new shiny toy syndrome that seems to run rampant on this board?

It's not just the preseason.  Gio simply hasn't been getting the YPC. And that goes all the way back through last year.  Take away one run -- a run where he literally ran straight into a defensive player that he could have avoided, was bounced outside, and then went for 90 yards, and he's only at 3.5. You can accuse me of cherrypicking stats, but aside from that one run I saw a lot of Gio trying to be the bellcow back that he ain't -- almost like trying to prove he can be the Jeremy Hill that he ain't. 

And then this season he's continued with the same frustrating tendency.  

I like Gio, alot. He's one of my favorite players.  Thing is, he needs to expand his role by giving us more Darren Sproles, and less Jeremy Hill.  Maybe part of that isn't his fault.  It's the play that's getting called for him.  I've just seen too much of him last season, and again into this preseason, not setting up his blocks and then squirting through the spaces that creates - something he has to be able to do to be an effective "air back" IMO. 

Lastly, the fact that I'm having the Watson discussion is almost a separate point. If I were making the decisions and I could only keep four RBs, I'd probably give the nod to Watson over Peerman.

I like Gio, alot. He's one of my favorite players.  Thing is, he needs to expand his role by giving us more Darren Sproles, and less Jeremy Hill.  Maybe part of that isn't his fault.  It's the play that's getting called for him.  I've just seen too much of him last season, and again into this preseason, not setting up his blocks and then squirting through the spaces that creates - something he has to be able to do to be an effective "air back" IMO.

Bernard was drafted to be an air-back and a compliment to a bell cow type RB. I think he's filled that role nicely.

The Bengals always bang the drum about running the ball more often, but IMHO they'd get more bang for the buck by increasing the passes thrown to RBs in the checkdown passing game. Based upon their early work in the televised scrimmages and mock game this may be the year they're serious about it.

Also encouraging is Rex Burkheads recent contributions from the slot, a role Gio can also play.

Last, it's pretty difficult to guess what happens when the games count, but so far I've seen far fewer plays featuring a TE lined up in the backfield. Even Eifert seems to be lining up more often on the LOS.

Archived