Senior Bowl: Noah Spence - You are going to love this guy

Is there a legit PED that will fail a drug test that could be passed off as the player taking ecstasy?     Could this guy's performance be a product of PEDs and when caught by the drug testing system he tries to explain it away by saying he had a recreational drug problem? 

Reggie Raggland from Alabama has also been in a lot of write ups.

That's who I'm hoping for.  Middle / Inside linebackers always fall a bit - that's why he's trying to do the OLB drills.  There's alot of money on the line if he can prove that he's able to play as a pass rushing 3-4 OLB.  Unfortunately for him though, he's not the next Khalil Mack and I think he knows it, his agent knows it, and all of the teams know it, but you can't fault him for trying.  

Here's the long-story on Spence from a Buckeye fan...

-Was a top 5 national recruit and #1 DE in the country in high school. Was committed to PSU before all the Joe Pa. stuff came out, sanctions, etc. He opened up his recruitment right around the time Urban Meyer was hired at OSU and flipped to the Buckeyes.

-Showed some flashes as a true frosh and then played a lot and racked up around 8 sacks as a true sophomore to lead the team. Bosa was a true freshman on that same team and was a better all-around player but Spence definitely made an impact as a speed rusher and was a good player.

-Got in trouble that offseason (before the bowl game I believe) for testing positive for ecstasy, which the Big 10 considers a PED. Tested positive again in the offseason despite knowing that he would be re-tested and was one-strike away from a life-time ban. OSU appealed trying to get the B1G to reclassify ecstasy as a recreational drug instead of a PED, but lost the appeal. Shitty rule, but it is what it is. Spence missed his junior season (in which OSU won the national championship) while OSU appealed. He transferred to EKU for his senior year. 

-The rumors around OSU were that he fell into a "rave" type scene. He was living with some rich white kids (think the sketch "Rich Dicks" from the Kroll Show) who just partied all the time. Couldn't stop even when he knew he was one strike away from getting the boot. Despite being only ~6 months from heading off to the NFL as a 1st round pick. Addiction? Immaturity? Stupidity? Bad Decision-making skills? Probably a bit of all of the above IMO.

-As a talent, I can see the Von Miller comparisons. Though I don't think he's as good an athlete or as good out in space. Don't see him being able to play LB in the 4-3 at all. Just a pure edge rusher in either the 3-4 or as a part-time player in the 4-3. Even as a part-timer, could be a double-digit sack guy in the 4-3. Definite first round talent, but not an elite top 5 pick type even if he had no off field issues IMO. 

-I have no idea how you evaluate him from an off-field perspective. Don't think he's a bad kid at all. But he made some really bad choices and from what I've heard it wasn't like an occasional thing with him. Did he just pull it together for a few months to get that big paycheck? Did he just get smarter about when he did stuff and the drug testing? Is he a new guy altogether? 

I'd lay off him big time...there are so many other good defensive players in this Draft..Id take Reggie Ragland before him or Kenny Clark or the DT from Louisville

That's who I'm hoping for.  Middle / Inside linebackers always fall a bit - that's why he's trying to do the OLB drills.  There's alot of money on the line if he can prove that he's able to play as a pass rushing 3-4 OLB.  Unfortunately for him though, he's not the next Khalil Mack and I think he knows it, his agent knows it, and all of the teams know it, but you can't fault him for trying.  

I like him also but we will get a good defensive player in Round 1..There are plenty of good ones...

I've seen a few mock drafts that have us taking a player from Alabama but not

Ragland.  Jarran Reed, DT.  

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2131655/jarran-reed

6' 3" 311 lbs.  Take Peko's spot.  

IN OUR VIEW: Country strong with tree trunks for thighs and long arms, Reed is a classic two-gap run-stuffer stout enough to play inside at defensive tackle or outside at end.

Here's the long-story on Spence from a Buckeye fan...

-Was a top 5 national recruit and #1 DE in the country in high school. Was committed to PSU before all the Joe Pa. stuff came out, sanctions, etc. He opened up his recruitment right around the time Urban Meyer was hired at OSU and flipped to the Buckeyes.

-Showed some flashes as a true frosh and then played a lot and racked up around 8 sacks as a true sophomore to lead the team. Bosa was a true freshman on that same team and was a better all-around player but Spence definitely made an impact as a speed rusher and was a good player.

-Got in trouble that offseason (before the bowl game I believe) for testing positive for ecstasy, which the Big 10 considers a PED. Tested positive again in the offseason despite knowing that he would be re-tested and was one-strike away from a life-time ban. OSU appealed trying to get the B1G to reclassify ecstasy as a recreational drug instead of a PED, but lost the appeal. Shitty rule, but it is what it is. Spence missed his junior season (in which OSU won the national championship) while OSU appealed. He transferred to EKU for his senior year. 

-The rumors around OSU were that he fell into a "rave" type scene. He was living with some rich white kids (think the sketch "Rich Dicks" from the Kroll Show) who just partied all the time. Couldn't stop even when he knew he was one strike away from getting the boot. Despite being only ~6 months from heading off to the NFL as a 1st round pick. Addiction? Immaturity? Stupidity? Bad Decision-making skills? Probably a bit of all of the above IMO.

-As a talent, I can see the Von Miller comparisons. Though I don't think he's as good an athlete or as good out in space. Don't see him being able to play LB in the 4-3 at all. Just a pure edge rusher in either the 3-4 or as a part-time player in the 4-3. Even as a part-timer, could be a double-digit sack guy in the 4-3. Definite first round talent, but not an elite top 5 pick type even if he had no off field issues IMO. 

-I have no idea how you evaluate him from an off-field perspective. Don't think he's a bad kid at all. But he made some really bad choices and from what I've heard it wasn't like an occasional thing with him. Did he just pull it together for a few months to get that big paycheck? Did he just get smarter about when he did stuff and the drug testing? Is he a new guy altogether? 

LOL at ecstasy as a performance enhancer for football. "Hey guys, why is everyone so angry? ...  We should cuddle"

Noah Spence doesn't have enough value for the Bengals at 24.  In a 4-3, he's a guy without a position.

After the first round, I'll be screaming for the Bengals to take Braxton Miller every round until he's gone.  He's the type of weapon you could about ten different things with and drive opposing coordinators crazy.

He played in a 4-3 at OSU and dominated. Not sure why he couldn't do the same in the NFL. He is a great athlete and would likely be able to play run and pass well regardless.

He played in a 4-3 at OSU and dominated. Not sure why he couldn't do the same in the NFL. He is a great athlete and would likely be able to play run and pass well regardless.

if we drafted him you'd have to expect him to grow into the RDE position as a full time player. as is he could be our nickle rusher, where we currently have huge concerns. platoon him with michael johnson on run vs pass downs as his body fills out and his technique improves. he's the speed rusher we've needed on the right side for years on end. he's athletic enough and has enough football smarts to learn the SLB position and get limited snaps there until he becomes that complete RDE we're looking for. i'd have no problem using our #24 pick in that role.

He was weak against the run for Ohio State (unlike Bosa who dominated against the run and pass). Kind of comes with the territory of being a 6'2 or 6'3 and 250ish pound DE going up against 6'6 320 pound OTs. 

I think he's going to be a top notch pass rusher in the NFL. He'll be a liability against the run if he's playing every down as a 4-3 DE. 

From my perspective though, 3rd down (and other obvious passing situations) pass rush is so important that if you can get a top situational pass rusher, it's still worth a 1st rounder even if that guy isn't an every down DE. Just comes down to risk/reward on Spence when you take into account his off field issues. 

Archived