Bengals sign Taylor Mays

I still remember when people here wanted us to draft him in 1 or 2.

I admit it, I was one of them people. And I'm ok with that. Hell people that get paid to make such decisions actually did draft him in the 2nd round. And people that get paid to evaluate players have missed on players quite often.  Hell, I'm sure you were wrong about a player once or 100 times. It happens.

Mays will probably be more nickel LB and special teamer than safety.

I still remember when people here wanted us to draft him in 1 or 2.

I hope this will be the case.  He was our best nickle LB in limited snaps 2 years back.  Better than Lemur.  TEs and RBs never got a sniff against Mays in this role.

I've always been ok on Mays as long as they put him in positions he's capable of succeeding in he's not bad. He's a great athlete and isn't afraid to stick his shoulder in there and hit someone. Lets just hope his aim is better and he's learned to hit the right team since he left lol. All kidding aside he has one of the best licks I can remember in recent memory by a Bengals player. It was when he blew that Falcons fb up on one of the 1st few plays of the game during the pre season a few years back. I'm sure at least some of you will remember it.

Yeah, I'm out of the inner circle and loop but re-signing guys like Brandon Tate and bringing this tool back with rationalizations really makes me doubt the direction of the Bengals.  All I ever saw this guy do was photo bomb group shots and selfies of other players.

I question how much you actually pay attention to this team. 

When's the last time they made a "splash" in free agency? It's not something they do historically. They build through the draft. They try to keep their own.

This offseason is no exception, and I have been largely cool with the resignings and the guys who have walked. To have kept Marvin and Sanu would have meant selling the farm. Those guys aren't worth nearly what they were paid, and while we may have actually had the money to keep them around, it would have been a shitty business decision, either way. The reason they got what they got is for the desperation of certain teams in the market. As has been pointed out ad nauseam, Marv and Mo were 4 and 5 on this team in terms of receiver options. 

Every day that passes with Nelson sitting on the market makes the Bengals front office look even more shrewd. Reports say they made an offer, it hasn't yet been bested and we're like, what, over a week into free agency?

I don't like seeing quality guys leave, but its the business. Some dudes are driven by money...some loyalty. There's no accounting for the difference.

I question how much you actually pay attention to this team. 

When's the last time they made a "splash" in free agency? It's not something they do historically. They build through the draft. They try to keep their own.

This offseason is no exception, and I have been largely cool with the resignings and the guys who have walked. To have kept Marvin and Sanu would have meant selling the farm. Those guys aren't worth nearly what they were paid, and while we may have actually had the money to keep them around, it would have been a shitty business decision, either way. The reason they got what they got is for the desperation of certain teams in the market. As has been pointed out ad nauseam, Marv and Mo were 4 and 5 on this team in terms of receiver options. 

Every day that passes with Nelson sitting on the market makes the Bengals front office look even more shrewd. Reports say they made an offer, it hasn't yet been bested and we're like, what, over a week into free agency?

I don't like seeing quality guys leave, but its the business. Some dudes are driven by money...some loyalty. There's no accounting for the difference.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised that the Dolphins haven't even come close to offering Nelson an offer...I know that he's a native Floridian,  South Beach.  Even coming back home to Jacksonville (the team that drafted him in the 1st round of 2005) would make sense.

What is the holdup?  Not to mention he's this year's co-leader with interceptions==he had 8 of them, including a stretch where he had a least one pick each week. The other is that rookie Peters from KC, and he added 3 TDs with the interceptions.

It would be nice for Reggie to just re-sign with us,  his best seasons obviously are with us,  and I have to say that he's probably the best free safety that we've had (Before you object, Fulcher is a prototypical strong safety, not to mention Marvin Lewis wants his safeties to be interchangeable--basically it doesn't matter which one covers the deep middle, both have responsibility for it.)

I have to say that I kinda like the re-signing of Taylor Mays,  once again we have someone that can counter well with the likes of Gronk, Olsen, and other athletic TEs.  I also like the idea that Mays can sub in for Maulauga in passing situations as a 'Joker' (I call players like Mays that, since he has the size of a LB, even a undersized one, but he's big enough to deal with TEs and support the run like a LB)

Yeah, I'm out of the inner circle and loop but re-signing guys like Brandon Tate and bringing this tool back with rationalizations really makes me doubt the direction of the Bengals.  All I ever saw this guy do was photo bomb group shots and selfies of other players.

Better to have a tool than none at all I guess is the Bengals way of thinking.  Ie camp body bag.  Let him fight it out with any rookies (plus the waterboy and shoe cleaner) for a spot.

Who can May's debate superhero qualities with in training camp ? Does not have the focus or intensity to make me think this is anything other than a wasted roster filler spot.

There's effectively no roster limit until August.  If he makes the 53 I'll be surprised.

Mays is garbage.  Simply a camp body.  Among the 10 or 15 good hits in his 6 year career is a guy who has averaged 12 tackles a year and zero ints.   Ki-Jana Carter was a better player.

Archived