Bengals, LaFell closing in on a deal

Finally!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000648994/article/cincinnati-bengals-agree-to-deal-with-brandon-lafell

Cincinnati Bengals agree to deal with Brandon LaFell

• 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  •  

print.png
    g-plus.png
    fb-like.png
    share-button.png

• By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL writer
  • Published: March 30, 2016 at 04:09 p.m.
  • Updated: March 30, 2016 at 04:30 p.m.

After losing two receivers in free agency, Cincinnati landed a wideout with a 70-plus catch season under his belt.

The Bengals reached an agreement with receiverBrandon LaFell on Wednesday, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per the player's agent.

LaFell was released last month by the New England Patriots after a dreadful 2015 campaign that saw him catch just 37 passes for 515 yards with the sixth-most drops in the NFL. While he was supposed to provide the Pats a deep threat,Tom Brady deep to LaFell became one of the least efficient plays in the league last year.

Despite the wayward year, LaFell is just one season removed from a 74 catch, 953 yard, seven touchdowns season. With Marvin Jones andMohamed Sanu exiting for big money, the Bengalsneeded a veteran to pair with A.J. Green. TheBengals pray they are getting the 2014 LaFell -- not every other season of his six-year career.

LaFell is far from the only answer, however. TheBengals remain a candidate to select a receiver high in the NFL draft.

Im assuming this is a misprint

View summary
0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More

He's doing it, again.

View summary
0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More

That's missing a chunk of what he actually wrote and I'm not going to bother with checking the math since I'm sure it's not 100% correct anyways...:

With backup linebacker/safety Taylor Mays expected to sign soon, the Bengals look to have finished their work in free agency as they prepare for the draft. The acquisitions of Dansby, LaFell, and Mays, along with the re-signings of starting cornerback Adam Jones and starting safety George Iloka as well as regular linebacker Vincent Rey, backup defensive tackles Pat Sims and Brandon Thompson, backup tackle Eric Winston, and backup wide receiver Brandon Tate, figure to account for a salary cap count in 2016 of a little north of $20 million.

That's missing a chunk of what he actually wrote and I'm not going to bother with checking the math since I'm sure it's not 100% correct anyways...:

Cap hits this year are over 20 mill and would have been a hell of a lot more if Marvin Jones didn't change his mind after agreeing to a deal. They spent more than they were vocalizing early on but they are still fine cap wise. They always will be. They run the cap game better than anyone in the NFL.

I think your underselling the issue.  Think more Jerome Simpson and Andre Caldwell early.  Alford probably isn't an NFL receiver and Wright is probably finished.  LaFell may or may not be the answer.

Cap hits this year are over 20 mill and would have been a hell of a lot more if Marvin Jones didn't change his mind after agreeing to a deal. They spent more than they were vocalizing early on but they are still fine cap wise. They always will be. They run the cap game better than anyone in the NFL.

I was referring to Hobson's normal habit of using the Bengals math on cap hits and charges which is higher than what it actually is.  They can start with 20 mil of cap space, spend 25 of the cap according to Hobson and still roll over 10.  Yes, I know how they do it, it's just funny to watch Hobson report it the way he does.

I think your underselling the issue.  Think more Jerome Simpson and Andre Caldwell early.  Alford probably isn't an NFL receiver and Wright is probably finished.  LaFell may or may not be the answer.

Our top 3 receivers are set. Green, 1-2 rounder and LaFell, Then the same guys we went with for 4-5-6 last year. Tate-Alford and now add in Kumerow-Wright and a draft pick.  I think the team will gamble that one of Alford, Kumerow, Wright, and Draft pick will breakout. 

I was referring to Hobson's normal habit of using the Bengals math on cap hits and charges which is higher than what it actually is.  They can start with 20 mil of cap space, spend 25 of the cap according to Hobson and still roll over 10.  Yes, I know how they do it, it's just funny to watch Hobson report it the way he does.

I'm not sure what you're arguing about with the $20M of cap space spent quote from Hobson. It's not some sort of weird Bengals math, it's just the actual numbers of their cap hits in 2016.

Adam Jones- $7.6M

George Iloka- $5.1M

Vinny Rey- $4.5M

Just those three guys are taking up $17.2M. 

I'm sure the combined cap hit of Karlos Dansby, Brandon LaFell, Pat Sims, and Brandon Thompson is more than $2.8M. 

So they definitely used over $20M of their cap space.

It is just basic math. Anyone who follows the Bengals knows they like to carry over. They aren't hiding anything or fudging numbers. They like to have that space. Until they are 1 player away and that player is staring them in the face I really have no interest in them putting themselves in a cap bind like some other teams do. It hit the Ravens hard last year and they couldn't afford to retain some guys they wanted to retain and it hurt their talent pool on the roster.

Our top 3 receivers are set. Green, 1-2 rounder and LaFell, Then the same guys we went with for 4-5-6 last year. Tate-Alford and now add in Kumerow-Wright and a draft pick.  I think the team will gamble that one of Alford, Kumerow, Wright, and Draft pick will breakout. 

Agreed. And the fact that Dalton's #2 WR has always had over 700 yards whether it was Jerome Simpson in 2011, Greshamn in 2012, Jones in 2013, Sanu in 2014 or Jones in 2015 shows that it is more of being in the system and having a superstar in AJ opposite of you than it is about individual talent. I'm comfortable with having a draft pick and Lafell at WR behind AJ and Eifert in targets. And fully expect Gio gets even more than his 49 receptions last year.

It is just basic math. Anyone who follows the Bengals knows they like to carry over. They aren't hiding anything or fudging numbers. They like to have that space. Until they are 1 player away and that player is staring them in the face I really have no interest in them putting themselves in a cap bind like some other teams do. It hit the Ravens hard last year and they couldn't afford to retain some guys they wanted to retain and it hurt their talent pool on the roster.

Agreed. And the fact that Dalton's #2 WR has always had over 700 yards whether it was Jerome Simpson in 2011, Greshamn in 2012, Jones in 2013, Sanu in 2014 or Jones in 2015 shows that it is more of being in the system and having a superstar in AJ opposite of you than it is about individual talent. I'm comfortable with having a draft pick and Lafell at WR behind AJ and Eifert in targets. And fully expect Gio gets even more than his 49 receptions last year.

Don't forget about the other Tyler. He might have decent numbers this year.

Don't forget about the other Tyler. He might have decent numbers this year.

Yeah I do like the prospects of Tyler Eifert going out wide more and Tyler Kroft being in the traditional TE spot. I liked the bits we saw of him last year and he seems very reliable.

CJ Uzomah is interesting too because he has a unique size/speed combo but also is very raw. Will be interesting to see how he develops and if he gets any use this year. They've got a lot of potential in that TE group which we haven't really had ever in the Marvin era before.

I feel better about LaFell after reading this article. Hobson is probably laughing at Harvey for missing the golden opportunity to make the headline "LaFell hopes to start off on the right foot." Or was it the left foot?:

Brandon LaFell out to prove 2015 was an aberration http://es.pn/1RPA7uk
 -via ESPN http://es.pn/app

Archived