Dansby Expected to Sign Today

All I know the Bengals had one of the worst linebacking units in the league last year.   So we need more than just Dansby if that ever happens. 

We need that, as well as catching the proverbial "lightning in a bottle" with someone that hardly anyone is aware of.   VB's closest to lightning, due to him being undrafted (if he didn't have the issues at AZ State, he's a bonafide 1st rounder), but now everyone know he's a hell of a LB even if the other stuff is what the media focuses on.  For all the hype on P. J. Dawson,  I'm still questioning not just why hasn't he played more, but why did we think so much of him that we spent a third-round pick on him??   Rey M. is serviciable at least,  and Vinny Rey is the ideal jack-of-all-trades LB that does everything decently so that he's not a complete liability, but it shows why he is undrafted.   Dansby seems to be the ideal one that would be able to get everyone up well but the age is starting to be a factor.

At the very least we need someone else other than Vontaze to step up and level up.  Every good NFL LB corp has two, like Keuchely and Davis for Carolina or what used to be Brandon Marshall and Danny Trevathen (?) for Denver before money split them up.  Other duos can be like Quarles and Brooks, or Urlacher and Briggs.  Ray Lewis  pretty much was by himself, but having Bart Scott in there was a fine LB duo.   And I know it's sacriligious but I have to say that ILB of Farrior and Foote were a pretty good duo as well, though the glam and gliz came from their scheme and the OLB pair it seemed Steeltown had.,  

We have one, and he's suspended for the first three games.  Dansby can be the Davis to Vontaze's Keuchley--even after the suspension has been served.  Dansby can help Taze process better and with more tact.

EDIT:  I see that while I was writing this post, it's been official that Karlos Dansby is now wearing the stripes after being with Cleveland.  I hope that he does go great here, even when Vontaze comes back--we need our  studs in the middle because if the middle is taken care of, the others will fall in line.

FYI Bengals have made it official per their Twitter handle:

@Bengals: NEWS: #Bengals sign LB Karlos Dansby

So today was the day, not yesterday.

Unless today is tomorrow.

BTW... Dansby is a good addition but not long term.  I always and still say the Bengals are hurting at linebacker and would love to see a top one slide and us take him, yes, as high as first round.  Burfict is fantastic but a loose cannon and it hurts him and us.  Maualuga is cool tattoos and hair and a belly flopping ankle nipper.  The rest are meh Joe Baggadonuts kind of guys.  We need another teeth rattling linebacker more than another fancy pants wide receiver or piece of meat on the D line.

JMHO, of course.

Nice.

As has been stated throughout this thread, Karlos Dansby is a nice stop-gap to get through the Burfict suspension and provides a nice veteran depth.  The comparisons to A.J. Hawk aren't valid because Hawk never, on his best day, played at the level Dansby has sustained.  I still have confidence that Paul Dawson going to turn into an impact player, but I love that he's not being handed a job.  Instead, Dawson will be have to continue to prove himself as a core special teams guy and earn his way onto the field.   

The other part of this is that it REALLY opens the door for the Bengals to get into the Jaylon Smith sweepstakes.  With the possible exception of a wide receiver, the chances of a rookie seeing the field much in '16 are slim at best.  They seem to have hit it out of the park with Ogbuehi last year, so why not do it again?  

Last thought on a completely unrelated note...  I believe Josh Shaw will find his way into the lineup and prove to be an absolute steal. 

Yes they are very comparable linebackers in recent productivity and in careers as a whole. You've certainly done your homework and aren't just spouting off bullshit. 

I know Dansby's much better.  Just wanna see him on the field of play come regular season, barring any setbacks.  I still remember the Antonio Bryant scenario, too early for me to get pumped.

Awesome comeback! Limited to +1.

I'm indifferent at this point. With any FA, it could swing either way. But I'd settle for solid. How is his locker room/mentor possibilities?

Good question.  My guess is not so much if he is here only one year.  Dawson and other Younger LB's probably see him more as a threat than a mentor to emulate.  Dansby probably just wants a ring not friends.  I'm disappointed with the signing.   Sigh!  Not happy with this at all.  

From the latest Hobson's Choice article:

Talk to Bengals defensive coordinator Paul Guenther and special teams coordinator Darrin Simmons about Mays. He didn’t beat anybody out at safety, but Guenther liked what he did as a cover backer in the nickel package and Simmons also likes his 6-3, 230 pounds athleticism on teams.

I had the chance to watch tape on this guy.  Lamur is back!!  

AJ Hawk was never that good, Dansby may be old but he is still playing at a high level.

Read my previous post, I wrote since.  I know Dansby is better, I just won't get excited until he hits the field come regular season.  I remember the Antonio Bryant hype and what happened during offseason.

Read my previous post, I wrote since.  I know Dansby is better, I just won't get excited until he hits the field come regular season.  I remember the Antonio Bryant hype and what happened during offseason.

Oh I hear ya, I was thinking more James Harrison since they play the same position.

The James Harrison signing is a better comparison. I'm leery of Dansby's output being similar to his when he was here. Harrison was just scouting for the stealers. No ninja.

Harrison was a square peg (3-4 OLB) in a round hole (4-3).  He spent most of his career putting a hand down and going after the passer, and that isn't what LBs do in the Bengals system.  Dansby is a better fit for the Bengals system.

Harrison was a square peg (3-4 OLB) in a round hole (4-3).  He spent most of his career putting a hand down and going after the passer, and that isn't what LBs do in the Bengals system.  Dansby is a better fit for the Bengals system.

I actually expect better results from Dansby rushing the QB than Harrison had. Reason being, I also think they'll send him more often. Dansby has hinted at it, if I read between the lines correctly what he's had to share from his talks with Guenther.

I actually expect better results from Dansby rushing the QB than Harrison had. Reason being, I also think they'll send him more often. Dansby has hinted at it, if I read between the lines correctly what he's had to share from his talks with Guenther.

I doubt it.

First, that's just not how the Bengals use their LBs.  The last time a Bengals LB logged five sacks or more was in 2001 when both Spikes and Simmons pulled it off.  Since Marvin has arrived, no LB has topped four sacks and that has happened less than a handful of times.  Marvin likes to keep his LBs at the line of scrimmage and rarely sends them into the opponent's backfield.

Second, Dansby's best trait, by far, is his ability to read offenses and cover.  I'd much rather see him dropping back to take away the short passing game than rush the passer.  Dansby excels at taking away the opposing QB's checkdown options, which in turn gives the pass rushers an extra half-second to finish a sack rather than just get a pressure.  I don't mind rushing him every now and then just to mix things up, but hopefully he'll be in coverage for the lion's share of his snaps on passing downs. 

I doubt it.

First, that's just not how the Bengals use their LBs.  The last time a Bengals LB logged five sacks or more was in 2001 when both Spikes and Simmons pulled it off.  Since Marvin has arrived, no LB has topped four sacks and that has happened less than a handful of times.  Marvin likes to keep his LBs at the line of scrimmage and rarely sends them into the opponent's backfield.

Second, Dansby's best trait, by far, is his ability to read offenses and cover.  I'd much rather see him dropping back to take away the short passing game than rush the passer.  Dansby excels at taking away the opposing QB's checkdown options, which in turn gives the pass rushers an extra half-second to finish a sack rather than just get a pressure.  I don't mind rushing him every now and then just to mix things up, but hopefully he'll be in coverage for the lion's share of his snaps on passing downs. 

well said sir.

Dansby is way better then any of those guys that are mentioned.   Hawk always been garbage, Bryant was broken, Harrison was done already, Dansby still has talent left.  My friend is a big Browns fan said Dansby was really good and a crappy team. 

Same here.  First text response: "Dansby can still ball."

I doubt it.

Agreed, he's a good coverage LB which has been our weakness...I'd never send him to blitz unless to surprise, he needs to help cover TEs who kill us year after year.

Archived