I'm not buying the trade up rumor.

First, the Bengals have been excellent over the past decade at playing their cards close to the vest leading up to the draft.  The media rarely gets a good read on them prior to the draft and are often caught completely off guard when the Bengals pick.  For them to suddenly spring a gigantic leak that not only says they are thinking about trading up, but who they are trading up for and what team they want to jump over just doesn't pass the smell test.  It smells like disinformation to me.

Second, even if they had sprung a leak, they traditionally only trade up in drafts where they have extra picks.  The last time they drafted less than the allotted seven picks was 2002.  If they had eight or nine picks, I could see them giving up a pick or two to move up, but with only seven I think it is much less likely.

Given that both starting DEs are under 30 and signed for the next couple years, I don't see them taking a DE in 1 unless it's an Eifert situation.  I think the DE hunt starts in round 2.

I agree unless a guy they just can't believe is there drops to them. Which is possible with how unknown this draft is in the teens.

It sounds like I need to start talking myself into Fuller.   This video makes me feel a little better.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-path-to-the-draft/0ap3000000651953/First-Draft-Will-Fuller

I hate the Ted Ginn comparison.  I would like to think that he could be Antonio Brown, but Brown is much tougher in the middle of the field and has better hands. 

That which Fuller can't do and the fact that Brown is possibly the best route runner in the last 10 years in the NFL.

Yeah I've been doing that the past day as well.

Me too. It isn't that Fuller sucks but he scares me cuz his bust factor is much higher and less safe than others.

This is legit, but his floor is so very low that it is scary.

If the move up rumors are true the Bengals really need to work on plugging their leaks. Jeesh.

Other teams can leak the rumors to bring more interest/competition. I don't see any possibly way we move up since we only have 7 picks.

Pre-Draft had Smith Sr at 5'9" 184 pounds. So not so different as your post would make it seem. There is a good chance Fuller adds some bulk in an NFL strength program, and as his body continues to mature.

FWIW, I don't have an opinion on what kind of player Fuller will be. I do however find it amusing how certain some people are about this process and how so many minds get so firmly made over watching some youtube videos.

Smith was also strong as hell when he was in college. Fuller is anti strong haha.

You can definitely coach it up.  Just look at Mohamed Sanu.  He led the league in drops in 2014 and didn't drop a single ball in 2015.  He knew he sucked catching the ball in 2014 and busted his ass to fix the problem.

thats not coaching up since he didnt suck before, he had a down year. but also, sanu was 4th in drops in 2014, he didnt lead the league. so i guess none of that was accurate.

What have you got against Lap?

i hope it isnt fuller. not because of anything i know about fuller, but because i hate dave lapham and hope he is wrong so people stop caring what he says.

wondering the same thing. I honestly Don't think Ive ever heard someone say they dont like him.

What have you got against Lap?

wondering the same thing. I honestly Don't think Ive ever heard someone say they dont like him.

seems like Go pretty much just hates everything Bengals related these days... 80 something rated announcer 

I hope he addresses whether or not we were the reason Houston jumped up a spot to take Fuller.  I really believe it was us.

Pretty much had to be. 

I love Lapham and it's nice knowing what the Bengals are thinking going into a draft. But I do wonder if him basically listing our 1st round wish list right before the draft came back to haunt us here with Houston and Washington both knowing who we wanted. 

I'm sure agents have a good idea of who really likes who and agents speak with GM's and such.  I'm sure Lapham isn't the only guy that does this.  Usually King/Schefter/etc. have a pretty good read on who really likes who as well. 

Just listened to another Lapham interview from today. Said he thought we did talk to Washington about trying to move up. The two things that hurt were the Browns trading down and taking Coleman to start the WR-run early. And then Washington wanting a WR themselves complicated the trade up and Washington decided they'd rather just go down 1 spot and still get Doctson. 

He also again said:

-Jackson was one of 5 they targeted (the 3 WRs and Apple also) and the only one of that group left. They wanted WR but Jackson is a very good consolation prize basically. 

-There are only 1 or 2 WRs the Bengals like in each of the next few rounds. Really shallow part of the draft for WRs. So they need to have some luck in how their board falls. Said there's not WR depth until you get to rounds 5 to 7 where there are a decent amount of guys graded as late-round draftable. 

I'd be willing to trade a 3 from next year to move up a few spots if Thomas lasts a few more picks.

I agree with that. Next year the Bengals will get some compensatory picks so they can afford to make a trade like you are suggesting.

Doesn't mean you have to like them. A lot of people know stuff.

I have no issue if you don't care for Dave.  Whatever.  No one is more plugged into this team though.  Something you were trying to discredit the past week or so.

Archived