* RD 3 Bengals Select Nick Vigil, LB / RB *

Great quickness with ridiculous production over the last two years...

I'm a fan.

If the Bengals can pack 10 pounds of muscle on him, he can be something serious.

I imagine he'll be a core teams guy for a year or two and then push to become a starter.  Marquis Flowers' path to sticking on the roster just got tougher.

Burfict, Dansby, Maualuga, Rey, Dawson, and this kid.  Linebacker is becoming a strength...

I love the guys talking about Vigil's "lack of athleticism"...

"What he lacks in natural athleticism, he makes up as a gym rat with a real can-do attitude. Best compares to Brian Cushing, Brian Urlacher, Clay Matthews, AJ Hawk, Jason Seehorn, Eric Waddle, Larry Bird, and white Point guard Jason Williams..."

As for the Vigil pick, he was announced by Bengals left end Carlos Dunlap, draped in his University of Florida graduation gown.

"That was awesome," said defensive coordinator Paul Guenther. "Congratulations to Carlos."

Head coach Marvin Lewis said Vigil has a chance to be a three-down player, which is one of the many reasons they love this red-shirt junior. He's also a guy heavily endorsed by special teams coordinator Darrin Simmons because of his speed. Guenther raved about his 4.66-second shuttle time and linebackers coach Jim Haslett said he's a guy that fits every spot in the Bengals 4-3 defense.

"Their defense was ranked as a whole 17th in the country. They've got some pretty good linebackers," Haslett said. "He's got great speed."

Guenther said Vigil "can do a lof different things. Cover, run . . . We can team him all three spots."

The Bengals compare his instinctive, versatile style to Carolina Pro Bowl middle linebacker Luke Kuechly. He was the only player in the country last year to have at least nine tackles in every regular-season game.

"We're not comparing him to Kuechly," Guenther said. "He'll have to come in here and win a spot."

Vigil, who started in base at middle backer and moved outisde to WILL on passing downs, he didn't talk to anyone from the Bengals during the process and was surprised to get the call. He said he was expecting the fourth round, but his agent told him anywhere from mid-third to mid-fifth.

He was so versatile the offensive coaches came up a package for him as a tailback in short-yardage and goal-line situations.

"Those days are gone," Vigil said. "I'm glad because I wasn't a very good running back."

Zach was a free agent last year and is with the Dolphins and now they have a date on national TV in September on NFL Network.

"A little brotherly rivalry," said Nick of the tandem that grew up in Plain City, Utah.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-fill-WR-slot-with-Boyd-in-second-round-LB-Vigil-arrives-in-third/2358270d-e609-4813-8bbd-9a8735e45409

Yeah I mistyped he weighs 239.  Hes not a giant compared to caleb miller hes about 15 pounds heavier was my point.  

Well see how vigil fares...but I dont have high hopes.  Kinda like when we drafted caleb miller in the 3rd when just about everywhere else he was projected as a 5th similar to vigil

Holy shit. 108 snaps in what appears to have been warmer weather. Kid must have a great motor and be pretty tough. After checking him and Boyd out more looks like neither of them have any things that they stand out with other than Boyd makes a lot of tough catches and this guy has a good motor and heart. They both look like good football players though and that transcends all those other measurables. Don't have to be biggest strongest or fastest, it helps but you can still be a great player as long as they're functional to the level you're playing at.

Archived